• footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I'm going to inbox you.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Well crap! My dog is ALL of these things:
    Although every dog is an individual, the Manchester terrier and the miniature pinscher were developed for different activities, which is reflected in their behavior and temperament. Bred to hunt vermin, the Manchester is a true terrier. That means he enjoys digging, chasing after small animals and generally getting into mischief. The miniature pinscher can be quite territorial -- he thinks of himself as a big dog. That can get him into trouble if he tries to take on a larger canine. Min pins have a reputation for constant barking and a high-strung nature, which isn't true of Manchester terriers. Either dog needs good, consistent training. The Manchester terrier soaks up training like a sponge. The min pin is relatively easy to train, with one caveat: housebreaking can take some time.
  • depuydt2011
    depuydt2011 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    :-)

I do have a pure bred. A minpin.

Why do I have a purebred? Because someone got a purebred and then dumped her outside my house a few years ago. I tookher in, realized she wasn't house trained and trained her in two weeks. I'm guessing the person who dumped her thought she was "so cute" and had to have her. *grumble*

we have a toy manchester, which is a minpin without the ears and tail docked. He is the cutest little snuggly thing and was fairly easy to train. He's still a puppy though so we are working through house training. It's down to one room now.

Hmmm. Maybe that's what she is. The vet calls her a minpin and that's what I thought she was from the start, but she isn't docked (not that *I* would ever do that, but whoever had her before didn't, either).

She's such a brat. It really isn't a breed I would choose if I had a choice. But I never have a choice. Dogs and cats kind of just show up in my life. lol

Usually they grow out of that. My boyfriend's parents have raissed them for years and have a super well behaved one. It all depends how hyper they are and how well you get them to listen.

My poor dog has a half docked tail. The breeders did it wrong. They didn't look for the joint and messed the end up pretty badly. It's not a pretty tail. :(
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Be sure to check with your insurance carrier if you are a home owner. Some home owners insurance will drop you if you have a certain breed or will raise your rates. I don't know how it applies to rental insurance if you are a renter.
  • skinnyforcruise2013
    Options
    Adopt for sure.

I rescued my girl, she was around 2yrs old. She is the BEST dog. She's a standard poodle.

My boy I hunted down and paid for him but in a way I rescued him too. He almost died of worms 2 days after I got him. I called the person I got him from and she said 3 of the pups had died from worms. Thank goodness I got my Duff. He's a standard poodle too.

Good luck and I hope you find the dog of your dreams.

And I for one, wouldn't go the puppy route again for anything.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Usually they grow out of that. My boyfriend's parents have raissed them for years and have a super well behaved one. It all depends how hyper they are and how well you get them to listen.

We've had her for a few years and guessed she was about a year or so when she showed up at the house. She's really a sweet dog in general, but very territorial. She does NOT like other dogs. If they walk anywhere near our house she goes crazy barking and growling. She chases and nips at the cats if they even glance at her food. Two of the cats have figured out the bark is worse than the bite and mostly ignore her, but the third won't go downstairs unless the dog is crated (only at night).

She's only territorial about the food around other animals and very small children (who I think she thinks are cats). So if friends with small children come over, it's leash or crate for the dog, though I don't think she'd actually bite. I don't want to chance it.

She was a breeze to house train, but otherwise, ugh! Even when I take her for walks away from home, she wants nothing to do with other dogs. I took her once to the dog park and she just sat on the bench with me. She'll sniff another dogs' butt, but that dog better not sniff hers.
  • depuydt2011
    depuydt2011 Posts: 46 Member
    Options

We've had her for a few years and guessed she was about a year or so when she showed up at the house. She's really a sweet dog in general, but very territorial. She does NOT like other dogs. If they walk anywhere near our house she goes crazy barking and growling. She chases and nips at the cats if they even glance at her food. Two of the cats have figured out the bark is worse than the bite and mostly ignore her, but the third won't go downstairs unless the dog is crated (only at night).

She's only territorial about the food around other animals and very small children (who I think she thinks are cats). So if friends with small children come over, it's leash or crate for the dog, though I don't think she'd actually bite. I don't want to chance it.

She was a breeze to house train, but otherwise, ugh! Even when I take her for walks away from home, she wants nothing to do with other dogs. I took her once to the dog park and she just sat on the bench with me. She'll sniff another dogs' butt, but that dog better not sniff hers.

It makes you wonder what her life before you was like :(
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I believe Welsh Corgis are very good with kids, and they're very protective of their families. They don't really drool or make huge messes, and they're fairly small.

Don't get me wrong, I love big dogs, and if you can adopt that's even better. It's funny that this topic showed up because my husband and I are debating on whether or not this is a good time to get a dog, and that's the one I'll be getting <3

and they dont have tails to pull, and they train REALLY well
    BUT you can't go running with them. as dogs, they want to please you and will run to keep up with you. they will run themselves into a dangerous exhaustion. they are small dogs with small legs, sprints are awesome for them, but i can't even take mine on a 3 mile jog, he starts to get so tired (he is only 18 months so not old age holding him back) and you can see he still wants to run with me... so they are not good for distance running :) but like I said, he loves to sprint with me. I will toss a ball and we will run toward it together (he always beats me)
  • rml_16
    Options
    It makes you wonder what her life before you was like :(

It's really tough to tell. She was spayed and in relatively good health when I found her -- not overly skinny, but covered in ticks from being outside for a while. She always acts like we're going to beat her, even though we never have.

But the breed is normally nervous, so it's hard to attribute that to treatment. Even the vet techs have said they wish all minpins were like mine. She isn't afraid of other dogs, just not interested in them unless she's showing dominance.

If she were a big dog, her behavior in some respects would be an issue, but since she's never bitten any person or animal and she's small, I just let her be instead of driving us both crazy trying to fix her.

Oh, she's also terrified of rain. Like, even if it's just a little sprinkle and I don't even realize it's raining, she hides under the couch. SMH
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Not sure how far you are from me but I have a gorgeous mixed breed dog that is adorable, friendly and great with kids, he is a little skiddish at first to new people but warms up quickly.
    He is a puppy from my dogs litter that I didn't get rid of but I am moving soon so he will need to find a good home.
    He is boston terrier/corgi/boxer mix he is a sandy brown color he is about 25 to 30lbs full grown and he just turned a year.
    He has his shots but needs to be neutered if desired. I am sure that he could be crate trained.

I know you didn't ask for my opinion, but it would be a great idea if you had your dog neutered, then you wouldn't have to worry about him becoming part of the "overpopulation = euthanization" problem.
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    I love my shelter mutt. I'll never know what she really is, but she's mine and that's all that matters....

971145_10151579132312545_128566257_n.jpg

Do it.

oh my gosh! my family dog of 13 years is almost identical to your dog! adorable :)
  • Fit_NYC_
    Fit_NYC_ Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Definitely go for adoption... you can even foster for a bit to try it out, but once you do that, you won't want to give up your new friend!

I have a 3 legged poodle-mix rescue, and he's awesome!
  • zombieyoshi
    Options
    Look online to find the right breed and good training tips. I like dogbreedinfo.com they have good advice and lots of information on different breeds, and quizzes to find a good breed for your family. Dogs are a big commitment, plan for them to chew everything until they are trained. If you can stick though it, having a dog is amazing and rewarding :)
  • Mel2626
    Mel2626 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Great answers from everyone!
    I'm another vote for adopting but also want to stress the importance of teaching your kid(s) how to act around the dog as well. So many people spend all their time worrying about how to get the dog to behave properly and forget that it's all new for the children too and they need just as much guidance.

I adopted a pit mix last year that's become our world so of course I'd recommend a bully breed but they're definitely not for everyone. :heart: :heart:

Good luck and don't forget to research!!!
  • Laststand2011
    Laststand2011 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Great answers from everyone!
    I'm another vote for adopting but also want to stress the importance of teaching your kid(s) how to act around the dog as well. So many people spend all their time worrying about how to get the dog to behave properly and forget that it's all new for the children too and they need just as much guidance.

I adopted a pit mix last year that's become our world so of course I'd recommend a bully breed but they're definitely not for everyone. :heart: :heart:

Good luck and don't forget to research!!!

Aw, the bully breed, misunderstood and the first "Nanny"..
  • SwitzEngine
    SwitzEngine Posts: 3,418 Member
    Options
    Go for a ST. Bernhard. They are so gentle and very good family dogs.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    English Springer Spaniels. Wonderful, waggy, intelligent, happy dogs. They rock.

Buy from a reputable breeder ( not a puppy mill or a pet shop!!) and I'd NEVER adopt some rescue mutt. You never know what the health and temperament background on those are, I want a registered, preferably show-quality, purebred ( spent many happy years in the dog show world.)
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Definitely consider adopting a dog, one that is already house trained and lives in a foster home. You'll know a lot about his personality, so no surprises!

And take your dog to obedience training if he hasn't been already, it makes such a huge difference!

The breed doesn't matter as much - get a dog that is the right size, energy level, shedding, etc. But really look for the dog's individual personality/behaviour, no two dogs are alike, even if they are the same breed. I used to hate chihuahuas, but mine were so sweet, so calm, smart, gentle, friendly even if a bit shy, never ever bit anyone, never barked unless someone was at the door, never left messes in the house, never jump or climb on people, walk off leash most of them time and just follow me... the opposite of what I though chihuahuas were like!

I adopted two dogs, 3 and 4 years old, they had been to obedience classes and WOW, the perfect dogs! Adopting them was the best thing I ever did :)

PETFINDER.COM <---- best website ever.