off days

I recently started a legs/push/pull/off routine and I m tring to bulk cleanly.
Is it worth to do cardio on the off day to avoid excess calories? This would making me workout 7 days a week. .. is it overtraining?

Replies

• CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Judge it on the fly - Just stick as is with the bulk, and throw a day in if you start to see any extra fat gain.

I'd also keep the cardio short\sharp - Sprints\Hill Sprints over LISS Cardio and such like
  • BrofessorPHD
    BrofessorPHD Posts: 42 Member
    all depends on your body type - for you - you won't really need much cardio - its just there for a tool to remain healthy and burn extra calories.

personally - i would still do a cardio day to keep with it and adjust calories as needed.
  • IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    #NODAYSOFF
  • jalloggio
    jalloggio Posts: 141
    I dont really do any cardio when I bulk, if i do cardio it would be like maybe 20 minutes on the elliptical to keep my heart strong
  • Lorix94
    Lorix94 Posts: 108 Member
    #NODAYSOFF
    Ha ha ha xD that's what I meant !!
    I will wait till I ll be back home anyway. Now I will definitely enjoy my off days !!
    Just a little bit of wolking around the city :)
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    I like to do 15-20 min of cardio post workout except on leg days and keep my off days that ...off days.
  • ritchiedrama
    ritchiedrama Posts: 1,304 Member
    You're trying to gain weight and you want to do cardio? What's wrong with you people...
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    it shouldn't hurt. unless you're in a hurry to pack on mass, the more you burn, the longer you're extending your gains
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Is it worth to do cardio on the off day to avoid excess calories? This would making me workout 7 days a week. .. is it overtraining?

That defeats the purpose of your off day. Off days are very much needed, ESPECIALLY on the leg, push, pull, rest.

I'd recommend doing your cardio (idk why u wanna do cardio if your diet is fine) on days that you don't do legs, so after push or pull days..
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    I do a legs/push/pull/legs/push/pull/off, so given that I am lifted 6x per week with only one off day I definitely rest on my off day. Personally, I don't do any cardio while bulking. I sometimes have to force food down to hit my calories as is. I have no desire to add to the amount I have to eat to gain.
  • If you're doing steady-state cardio, try to keep it light; otherwise, check out HIIT. Keep eating and you'll be fine with regards to the calories.

As for the overtraining question, listen to your body. Cardio probably won't hurt your muscle recovery much (if anything, it could help. Look up active recovery.), but the real concern would be your nervous system. If you finish up a workout and feel like falling asleep, that could be indicative of overtraining. In such a case, definitely take a day or two off of everything, including cardio. If you finish your workouts feeling awesome and awake, then your nervous system is just fine.

I've done the cardio-rest-days before without any trouble. I've only had overtraining issues with my CNS when I was doing 7 days of lifting and not getting enough sleep (really, really dumb idea).
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    You can do a small amount of cardio if you find it neccessary (like for staying in shape during the off season of a sport).
    If you're strictly a lifter, then I wouldnt worry about the cardio too much.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

you're trying to bulk, so you need excess calories? the more cardio you do, the more you need to eat....
  • jbgolf52
    jbgolf52 Posts: 210 Member

you're trying to bulk, so you need excess calories? the more cardio you do, the more you need to eat....

Yea I'm confused by this as well. You need excess calories to gain weight yet you want to do cardio so that you burn off any excess you eat, so what do you really want to do then, maintain or bulk?