WHO has just declared Coronavirus a pandemic

124»

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Has anyone on this thread had their job be directly affected by the pandemic? My boyfriend and I work for a newspaper company in Maine, U.S. The first confirmed case of coronavirus in the state was reported today, and my boyfriend said that we need to make a plan in case we lose our jobs. I think he's being a little overcautious — in print or online, there is always a demand for news, and the majority of the company employees can work from home.

Also, I see many posters here are choosing to cancel international trips. Are people (whose countries are not locked down) also avoiding leaving their immediate geographic areas? I'm supposed to go to a bridal shower in two and a half weeks in Massachusetts, and a wedding in New York on Memorial Day weekend. It's my boyfriend's cousin who is getting married, and he thinks the bride and groom should just cancel everything. Again, I think he's being a tad dramatic, but maybe I'm under-reacting? I'm not going around licking car door handles or anything, but I wasn't planning on becoming a hermit, either.

Real dilemmas for people though, the cant just cancel weddings booked way in advance and have probably paid massive amount of money that won't be refunded.

I am still travelling from my regional town to our state capital city next weekend, about 350 km.

A football match I have pre paid tickets too I am still attending - unless it has been cancelled. At this stage it has not although I read today of cancellation of Grand Prix in Melbourne.

And am meeting my daughter who has flown from UK and who I haven't seen for over a year.

Go to events if they are not cancelled and practice hygiene etc as recomended.

I’m in the US-Minnesota.

All sporting events (pro to high school), concerts and orchestras, theater (live plays), zoo, all cancelled. Colleges and universities are suspending classes or opting for online. All public schools, K-12 are still open, but probably only a matter of time. So far, movie theaters are still open. My daughter comes to visit every Saturday. She’s not visiting today, she’s concerned about maybe bringing the virus home to her at risk parents, over 65. 😢We’re rural, she’s in major metropolitan city. All of this transpired in one week. Things are changing by the minute.

I’m in MN too. I think I read an earlier post that said you’re in the New Prague area? I’m in St. Paul. I too, like your daughter, am going to avoid visiting mom and dad. My mom has had pneumonia a few times (although she’s the healthiest person I know) and my dad suffered a stroke in January and had a fall last week; both are 65/70 so I want to be responsible with their health. Luckily they have great young neighbors who will watch out for them should that be necessary.

It’ll be interesting to see how things play out here. For now, I’m acting with an abundance of caution. I feel it’s the socially responsible thing to do, plus, I’m kind of a hermit anyway. Wishing you good health my fellow Minnesotan.

Thanks! Wishing you and your family the same!
    It’s @snowflake954 whose family is in that area. She’s living in Italy now and very kindly keeping us MFP’ers in the loop on the status there. We’re SE of Northfield, so not far from New Prague area. My daughter lives in St Paul also. It’s a small world. Stay safe!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Has anyone on this thread had their job be directly affected by the pandemic? My boyfriend and I work for a newspaper company in Maine, U.S. The first confirmed case of coronavirus in the state was reported today, and my boyfriend said that we need to make a plan in case we lose our jobs. I think he's being a little overcautious — in print or online, there is always a demand for news, and the majority of the company employees can work from home.

Also, I see many posters here are choosing to cancel international trips. Are people (whose countries are not locked down) also avoiding leaving their immediate geographic areas? I'm supposed to go to a bridal shower in two and a half weeks in Massachusetts, and a wedding in New York on Memorial Day weekend. It's my boyfriend's cousin who is getting married, and he thinks the bride and groom should just cancel everything. Again, I think he's being a tad dramatic, but maybe I'm under-reacting? I'm not going around licking car door handles or anything, but I wasn't planning on becoming a hermit, either.

Real dilemmas for people though, the cant just cancel weddings booked way in advance and have probably paid massive amount of money that won't be refunded.

I am still travelling from my regional town to our state capital city next weekend, about 350 km.

A football match I have pre paid tickets too I am still attending - unless it has been cancelled. At this stage it has not although I read today of cancellation of Grand Prix in Melbourne.

And am meeting my daughter who has flown from UK and who I haven't seen for over a year.

I’m in the US-Minnesota.

All sporting events (pro to high school), concerts and orchestras, theater (live plays), zoo, all cancelled. Colleges and universities are suspending classes or opting for online. All public schools, K-12 are still open, but probably only a matter of time. So far, movie theaters are still open. My daughter comes to visit every Saturday. She’s not visiting today, she’s concerned about maybe bringing the virus home to her at risk parents, over 65. 😢We’re rural, she’s in major metropolitan city. All of this transpired in one week. Things are changing by the minute.

I’m in MN too. I think I read an earlier post that said you’re in the New Prague area? I’m in St. Paul. I too, like your daughter, am going to avoid visiting mom and dad. My mom has had pneumonia a few times (although she’s the healthiest person I know) and my dad suffered a stroke in January and had a fall last week; both are 65/70 so I want to be responsible with their health. Luckily they have great young neighbors who will watch out for them should that be necessary.

It’ll be interesting to see how things play out here. For now, I’m acting with an abundance of caution. I feel it’s the socially responsible thing to do, plus, I’m kind of a hermit anyway. Wishing you good health my fellow Minnesotan.

It’s @snowflake954 whose family is in that area. She’s living in Italy now and very kindly keeping us MFP’ers in the loop on the status there. We’re SE of Northfield, so not far from New Prague area. My daughter lives in St Paul also. It’s a small world. Stay safe!

@missysippy930 and @snowflake954 If either of you need anything, let me know and I’ll try to help!
    Thanks! You’re a sweet girl❤️
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member

I’m in the US-Minnesota.

@missysippy930 and @snowflake954 If either of you need anything, let me know and I’ll try to help!
    Thanks! You’re a sweet girl❤️

Ditto this! <3
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Vietnam vacation definitely cancelled. As of Saturday, Vietnam is refusing entry to anyone who has been in the UK or any Schengen country in the last 14 days. The good news is that this will trigger our travel insurance payout.

On a social note, we were meant to have a dinner party tomorrow. The other couple were called by the day care centre today because their kid had a temperature of 41C and flu like symptoms. They might need to self isolate for two weeks.

We were supposed to have a dinner party March 22. One couple is definitely uninvited as one of them works in a hospital. The other two people are my mother and brother and because my mom is 82 I will probably end up cancelling them as well.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    Kupla71 wrote: »
    I’m a Canadian in Australia. I’m thinking that Canada could close it’s borders in the next few weeks. Who knows what will happen. I may be stuck in Australia for some time. Oh well. Hot sunny weather is not too much to complain about!

Until it leads to massive fires or carcinomas.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Vietnam vacation definitely cancelled. As of Saturday, Vietnam is refusing entry to anyone who has been in the UK or any Schengen country in the last 14 days. The good news is that this will trigger our travel insurance payout.

On a social note, we were meant to have a dinner party tomorrow. The other couple were called by the day care centre today because their kid had a temperature of 41C and flu like symptoms. They might need to self isolate for two weeks.

We were supposed to have a dinner party March 22. One couple is definitely uninvited as one of them works in a hospital. The other two people are my mother and brother and because my mom is 82 I will probably end up cancelling them as well.

I had a packed weekend that quickly went to no plans.

Part of it was dinner at a restaurant before a play that got cancelled because theater here is basically cancelled.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

I had a packed weekend that quickly went to no plans.

Part of it was dinner at a restaurant before a play that got cancelled because theater here is basically cancelled.

I might plant peas. I'll move that over to the gardening thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10708195/garden-thread

I'm reading. May read some of my gardening books. It's still in the 30s here, however.