how many calories burned with reel mower?

Options
ok so I have one of those archaic reel mowers. it is a total b***h to push. anyone know how many calories this would burn?

Replies

• thrld
    thrld Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    you'd need to HRM it.
  • TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    4000 per yard
  • LorienCoffeeBean
    LorienCoffeeBean Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    4000 per yard

this is sooooo helpful
  • TyTy76
    Options
    4000 per yard

this is sooooo helpful

You're welcome!
  • LorienCoffeeBean
    Options
    is there and eyeroll smiley here? if not there should be
  • TyTy76
    Options
    is there and eyeroll smiley here? if not there should be

eye-roll1.gif
  • LorienCoffeeBean
    Options
    gee thanks. you are so increasingly helpful.
  • TyTy76
    Options

sorry.gif
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

Helpful is his middle name! He loves to help. :bigsmile:

I have one of those mowers, and it sucks @$$. I burn about the same as a kickboxing class when I use it, but my burn would most likely not be the same as yours. You'd be better off using a heart rate monitor to get a better estimate.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options

sorry.gif

Sorry OP....LMFAO.

The reason you're getting these responses is because there are about a million different variables to contend with here. There really is no accurate answer to your question. Maybe just guesstimate 5-6 calories per minute...300-350 calories per hour would seem reasonable...I have absolutely nothing to back that up, but it would seem reasonable to me given my previous experience with my reel mower.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

sorry.gif

Sorry OP....LMFAO.

The reason you're getting these responses is because there are about a million different variables to contend with here. There really is no accurate answer to your question. Maybe just guesstimate 5-6 calories per minute...300-350 calories per hour would seem reasonable...I have absolutely nothing to back that up, but it would seem reasonable to me given my previous experience with my reel mower.

I agree with that. I burned about 400ish calories in 50 minutes. My front yard is on a hill, though.
  • LorienCoffeeBean
    Options

Sorry OP....LMFAO.

that is a reasonable answer.
    perhaps a bit touchy this morning but god damn it there are a lot of folks on here that seem to enjoy posting sarcastic comments (and some people are down right mean) to peoples real questions. im not an idiot, i just wanted some advice on how to calculate it. or even roughly guess it.
  • LorienCoffeeBean
    Options

I have one of those mowers, and it sucks @$$. I burn about the same as a kickboxing class when I use it, but my burn would most likely not be the same as yours. You'd be better off using a heart rate monitor to get a better estimate.

i dont have a heart rate monitor or funds to get one.
  • TyTy76
    Options

Sorry OP....LMFAO.

perhaps a bit touchy this morning but god damn it there are a lot of folks on here that seem to enjoy posting sarcastic comments (and some people are down right mean) to peoples real questions. im not an idiot, i just wanted some advice on how to calculate it. or even roughly guess it.

step-back.gif
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

I would go with what cwolfman suggested then, just to be conservative. You don't want to overestimate.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options

Sorry OP....LMFAO.

He was just kidding around. No one was trying to be unkind to you, and no one thinks you're an idiot.

A Google search revealed this, but it isn't even close to being accurate, due to the many variables, as mentioned above.

http://www.mycaloriesburned.com/calories-burned-mowing-the-lawn/
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

you could sell the reel mower to pay for the heart rate monitor.
  • Contrarian
    Options

Then she would have to cut the grass with scissors.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options

But at least she would know exactly how many calories she was burning.
  • Contrarian
    Options

But at least she would know exactly how many calories she was burning.

I like the way you look on the bright side.