Want to up my calories, and Im nervous. would like help!

Options
I just posted this in another forum, but I think this one is more appropriate. Thanks!

Im in 2 weeks, Im on 1230 calories(mpf recommended), which I barely meet each day. Im becoming more consistent with the gym. I try to eat mostly whole foods and as little processed as I can. Im down 8.4 lbs in two weeks ( 6 in 1st week, then 2). Problem is I've always been good as losing a lot of weight real fast doing this same thing, but always gained it right back. I really want to change my lifestyle this time, and I feel myself falling right back into same routines and eating as Ive done before.

Ive been reading a lot about the TDEE, BMR, fat percentages etc... Its all very confusing. I am going to buy a new tape measure today to get my measurements, and calculate body fat.

My head has been feeling a bit foggy ,( for lack of a better word) past couple days. I know its from not eating enough.

I would like to continue losing at 2 lbs a week, but Im nervous about adding calories, and would LOVE if there are any successful healthy gurus reading this to take a look at my food diary and give me some advice.

Im a fairly active Mom of 4, hypothyroid. I'm on the move most of the day, and like I said earlier, I'm hitting the gym quite often,
doing cardio and the weight machines.

Replies

• tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If you're as active as you say, you're not eating enough . Read the "in place of a road map" thread and figure out a better calorie target. You gain back the weight because you're starving yourself while "dieting" and eating different food than you normally do. Unless you plan to cut out processed food for the rest of your life, stop cutting it out while dieting. Eat foods you enjoy and stay at a reasonable deficit.

edit: also looking at your diary, you eat very little meat, I assume you're not a vegetarian because there is some, but you need to get more protein to stay satisfied. The MFP recommendations are very low. If you don't want to eat more meat for whatever reason consider getting more protein from eggs, dairy, supplements, etc.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I would say change your settings here at MFP to lose 1 lb a week rather than 2 - this will give you a higher calorie goal, and is a more reasonable rate of loss for you anyway since you don't have 100lbs to lose (according to your ticker anyway). And eat back all, or least most of your exercise cals. You may still lose more than 1lb a week, and sometimes you might lose less - weight loss isn't linear, but slow and steady is the way to go, and looking at your loss not only on the scale, but with a tape measure, over time you will see better, and sustainable progress.

As for you diary - lots of quick-added cals in there - try to log everything as best you can. Be accurate with measuring out servings and portions, use a food scale and measuring cups.

To get more good cals into your day and meet your goal, add more calorie dense foods into your day - snack on nuts, nut butters, cheese sticks, avocado, eggs, use olive and coconut oils in cooking and in dressings. These will bump up your cals with small portions, so you get closer to goal without having to stuff down a ton of food or eat junk. Looks like you eat a lot of salads, add some grilled chicken, sliced hard boiled egg, avocado, sunflower kernals, etc to those salads to punch up the protein and healthy fats.

Hope that helps!
  • bceltic
    bceltic Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I would say change your settings here at MFP to lose 1 lb a week rather than 2 - this will give you a higher calorie goal, and is a more reasonable rate of loss for you anyway since you don't have 100lbs to lose (according to your ticker anyway). And eat back all, or least most of your exercise cals. You may still lose more than 1lb a week, and sometimes you might lose less - weight loss isn't linear, but slow and steady is the way to go, and looking at your loss not only on the scale, but with a tape measure, over time you will see better, and sustainable progress.

As for you diary - lots of quick-added cals in there - try to log everything as best you can. Be accurate with measuring out servings and portions, use a food scale and measuring cups.

To get more good cals into your day and meet your goal, add more calorie dense foods into your day - snack on nuts, nut butters, cheese sticks, avocado, eggs, use olive and coconut oils in cooking and in dressings. These will bump up your cals with small portions, so you get closer to goal without having to stuff down a ton of food or eat junk. Looks like you eat a lot of salads, add some grilled chicken, sliced hard boiled egg, avocado, sunflower kernals, etc to those salads to punch up the protein and healthy fats.

Hope that helps!

Thank you, Im still working on the food diary, some things I can not find, and I havent figured out how to create my own recipe w/calories to add it, so I just add the quick calories. Ive actually only had one salad in the two weeks Ive been on. I do add lettuce and green peppers in a lot of items, and everything is being added to the diary separately.

I love almonds, peanut butter, seeds, eggs. I will start adding more of these items to up the calories. I know Im also lacking on fruit which will help.

Im going to lower my settings to the 1 lb and start there. Thank you!
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I would second the suggestion to read "in place of a roadmap". Do the spreadsheet! I started off with 1200 and went up to 1850 in a matter of two weeks since I was always hungry. I have not gained. Through the lifting, I have changed shape and inches are coming off slowly- but I am not gaining. It was scary at first but I wholeheartedly recommend trying it- especially when you are always hungry! MFP is meant to be a lifestyle change, not a diet. Are you planning on being hungry for the rest of your life? Etc.
  • bceltic
    bceltic Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I would second the suggestion to read "in place of a roadmap". Do the spreadsheet! I started off with 1200 and went up to 1850 in a matter of two weeks since I was always hungry. I have not gained. Through the lifting, I have changed shape and inches are coming off slowly- but I am not gaining. It was scary at first but I wholeheartedly recommend trying it- especially when you are always hungry! MFP is meant to be a lifestyle change, not a diet. Are you planning on being hungry for the rest of your life? Etc.

thank you, I did read that this morning, which is one of the reasons I posted this and want to change some things. I reset my calories at 1400+ (1.5lbs a week). I don't normally feel hungry, but my head feels funny and I just don't have the energy that I should. I want to do this the right way, not the quick way this time! School starts next week, and I will have much more time for the gym, Ill see how it gos at 1400+ calories, and then maybe up them again later.
  • GKoz004
    GKoz004 Posts: 87
    Options
    I would suggest SLOOOOWLY increasing. I went balls out and increased from 13-1400 to 1700 and gained 10lbs. I've seen the safest way is to increase 200cals every 2 weeks.
  • lindustum
    lindustum Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I don't normally feel hungry, but my head feels funny and I just don't have the energy that I should.

Well, then you are hungry. I know what you mean, I have blended out the hunger feel successfully- and then other areas of my body start telling me it's pointless to ignore it.*

@GKoz004: You have posted a thread stating a medical history and your 10lbs gain is clearly not due to you "upping it quickly". I upped by 500kcal within 2 weeks and didn't gain. The reason people suggest to up calories slowly is to prevent over-estimating, also you might find it hard to suddenly eat 25% more a day. I went 1200->1300->1600->1850 and none of that was difficult because clearly I was lacking the food. That amount will obviously differ depending on body height, weight and activity levels!

*This is under the assumption that you weren't living on fast food beforehand and are now experiencing withdrawal symptoms of any sort. I know some people have this because of radical diet changes, so make sure you check that. It would help to know your height and weight, that way it's already much easier to get an idea. So whether you're 4'11 or 5'8 will obviously influence the amount you need.