Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Chicken/Turkey nutrition

tolein
tolein Posts: 2 Member
I'm a little confused on calorie count for chicken and turkey. Sandwich meat says 2oz is 50 calories but then from everything I've read 4oz of cooked chicken breast is is around 200 calories. The math doesn't seem to add up, so which is correct?

Replies

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Deli sliced turkey, chicken and ham has most of the fat removed in processing.
  • tolein
    tolein Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks, I didn't realize that deli meat had much of the fat removed.
  • wilson10102018
    edited March 2020
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    tolein wrote: »

It's not what's removed. It's more about what is added.

Not so. More than 50% of fat is removed from turkey, 66% from chicken.Tiny amount of turkey broth and some preservatives added. Its all about the fat. Try reading up on it.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member

When the question is in regards to why deli meat has fewer calories than regular meat, it's about what's removed.
  • wilson10102018

When the question is in regards to why deli meat has fewer calories than regular meat, it's about what's removed.

Yes. Because per 100g of deli meat, you dont get 100g meat. What you get is some meat is and fillers are added. Its that simple.

If I roast 100g turkey breast, I get 100cal for 90g of cooked weight (after water loss).

There are no fillers. Try reading the label.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member

Yes. Because per 100g of deli meat, you dont get 100g meat. What you get is some meat is and fillers are added. Its that simple.

If I roast 100g turkey breast, I get 100cal for 90g of cooked weight (after water loss).

There are no fillers. Try reading the label.

You are an expert on all deli meat?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    USDA says: 100 g of turkey breast, meat only, cooked has 68 g of water, 147 cal, 30 g of protein, 2 g of fat, no carbs. 100 g of Jennie-O brand deli has 107 cal, only 20 g of protein, just under 2 g of fat, and 3.6 g of carbs. 100 g of Boars Head has 107 cal, 23 g of protein, just under 2 g of fat, no carbs.

So it appears that the difference is NOT removing fat, but having less meat in the 100 g serving overall, accounting for lower cal and lower protein and lower fat (although it's all low fat). Some deli meat has additional stuff added (the carbs in the Jennie-O are likely from honey) and typically sodium.
  • wilson10102018
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    USDA says: 100 g of turkey breast, meat only, cooked has 68 g of water, 147 cal, 30 g of protein, 2 g of fat, no carbs. 100 g of Jennie-O brand deli has 107 cal, only 20 g of protein, just under 2 g of fat, and 3.6 g of carbs. 100 g of Boars Head has 107 cal, 23 g of protein, just under 2 g of fat, no carbs.

So it appears that the difference is NOT removing fat, but having less meat in the 100 g serving overall, accounting for lower cal and lower protein and lower fat (although it's all low fat). Some deli meat has additional stuff added (the carbs in the Jennie-O are likely from honey) and typically sodium.

Wrong again. The OP said chicken breast which USDA says is 7% fat.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2020
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Wrong again. The OP said chicken breast which USDA says is 7% fat.

Wrong again? This was my first post in the thread. How very friendly. (Or in truth, odd.)

The topic is "chicken/turkey" and IME deli turkey is a lot more common than deli chicken.

Anyway, chicken breast has similar stats to turkey, although yes, slightly more fat:

100 g of cooked chicken breast, meat only has 165 cal, 31 g of protein, 3.5 g of fat, while one branded (chosen at random) deli chicken has 89 cal, but only 0.9 g of fat and -- notably -- 18 g of protein, by contrast, as well as 7 g of carbs. (Carbs in chicken breast means they added something, of course.)

It's not because they are simply taking out the fat.

Anyway, I personally would much rather have a chicken or turkey breast I roasted myself. I think it's much tastier, and I like that it has more protein.