Estimating food that you haven't cooked.

Options
I work away on an oil platform for 2 weeks at a time. During this time I am served food in a canteen like fashion. I am struggling to estimate the amount of food I have on my plate to log.
I can't exactly take out some scales and weigh everything. Any suggestions?

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I would try an estimate the calories based off the ingredients, or by looking up the calories in a similar dish.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,928 Member
    Options
    That, and if you can't do it at the time you're eating, but would be able to take a quick photo with a cell phone camera, that might help you with estimating quantities. Include something of known size, like a fork or spoon, in the photo for scale.
  • andyroberts086
    andyroberts086 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It is hard to know what is in it as i'm not cooking it and is batch cooked.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

Are you not allowed to ask the person who does the cooking?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »

Are you not allowed to ask the person who does the cooking?

That's what I do when mom cooks. I ask her "how much oil, approximately, have you used?" and that helps me estimate. Since fat is the highest calorie macro, if I estimate that one close enough, the rest doesn't matter much and I usually calculate it at 1-4 calories per gram depending on how much moisture the meal has.

This, however, is a bit advanced and you'll gradually develop estimation skills as you gain more experience. Don't worry about it for now. If you're just starting, and you aren't eating foods you don't know how to estimate often, a rough estimate is good enough. Just find something similar in the database, and use an entry that has higher calories just to be safe, and you should be fine. It's okay to not know exactly how much you're eating if it's a one-off thing. Your main focus should be on what can control and what you do on a daily basis.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,589 Member
    Options
    Are you allowed to take a cameraphone to the galley? If so take photos of what you eat at home, resist all the cakes, and eat similar things in similar, maybe somewhat smaller amounts. Good chance there’s more fat on food on the rig (in my experience it is). Test for two weeks, check weight once back home (flying? Travel water weight danger) and adjust food for next hitch.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,137 Member
    Options
    I can't see how trying to get a good estimate is even feasible in your situation.

Are you trying to lose weight? If so, just start by passing on desserts, bread, drinks that have calories. If there is dressing or cheese offered and you can control the portion, do so. If there is sour cream, don't use it. Most canteen food is basic and prepared in portions that the workers need sort of like school meals or prison food. Don't go back for seconds if that's an option.

If you're plating your own foods and you have no basis of comparison such as previous food logging, then you'll have to just go with ladle sizes. Most entree ladles are going to hold a half cup. Take two to four of those. On vegetables, one or two ladles. Potatoes? One ladle. Rice, one ladle.

See how you feel after 2-4 days. If you still have enough energy, good. If not, increase. I wouldn't even try to log canteen food.
  • andyroberts086
    andyroberts086 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I can't see how trying to get a good estimate is even feasible in your situation.

Are you trying to lose weight? If so, just start by passing on desserts, bread, drinks that have calories. If there is dressing or cheese offered and you can control the portion, do so. If there is sour cream, don't use it. Most canteen food is basic and prepared in portions that the workers need sort of like school meals or prison food. Don't go back for seconds if that's an option.

If you're plating your own foods and you have no basis of comparison such as previous food logging, then you'll have to just go with ladle sizes. Most entree ladles are going to hold a half cup. Take two to four of those. On vegetables, one or two ladles. Potatoes? One ladle. Rice, one ladle.

See how you feel after 2-4 days. If you still have enough energy, good. If not, increase. I wouldn't even try to log canteen food.

The ladle = ~1/2cup is a massive help. Yes we plate our own food from a tray of it. I have cut out sweets/treats but hit a Plato on my muscle building side. I am starting to analyse my diet more now and see what I can tweak (macros) to benefit my progress. But first I need a base line and the more accurate the better.
    I am stuck with this type of feeding 2/5 weeks (40% of the year) so it's not a 'one off thing'

Thanks