I started intermittent fasting and like it.

OAS5
OAS5 Posts: 374 Member
I started intermittent fasting last Saturday so I'm a week in and I quite like it. Now I am not an expert on the subject but I don't eat past 8 PM and then first meal of the day 11:30 AM. I assume that counts but in any event it's what I am doing and it's not as hard as I thought it would be and it's a sense of accomplishment. I did it just to change this up and try something different.

Replies

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    It "counts" and for what it's worth, I find that my hunger schedule tends to follow whatever my eating schedule is so that a longer window before the first meal of the day is completely fine for me. Now, the research about benefits from IF beyond helping fewer calories feel satisfying continues to be pretty mixed at this point, but there is little question among folks who have longer faster windows each day that calorie deficits are easier to manage.
  • k_bright88
    k_bright88 Posts: 1 Member
    I’ve been IF since January and I love it. The challenge is that I am also fasting for Lent (A partial Fast... no food consumption during day light hours) so it gets a little tricky as my eating times are stunted... but I love it so much.
  • lesstjm
    lesstjm Posts: 15 Member
    Quick question about fasting. If I did something from say 11am to 7pm. Can I drink coffee in the morning or that is not allowed?
  • jpearson1289
    jpearson1289 Posts: 26 Member
    I'm so glad I found this! I just started myself and am slowly working my morning coffee from lots of creamer to black. I'm just learning & have questions if anyone has good resources... so I'm open to anyones suggestions! I'm really liking it and my hunger is better controlled for sure already.
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    edited March 2020
    lesstjm wrote: »
    Quick question about fasting. If I did something from say 11am to 7pm. Can I drink coffee in the morning or that is not allowed?

As @janejellyroll pointed out, there are no IF police, so if you want that cup of coffee with cream and sugar, who's to stop you?

That said, in my opinion you should at least take an initial shot at doing it "right" for a couple weeks - which means zero calories outside the eating window, and that includes cream, sugar, and I would also say artificial sweetener is best avoided outside the window too. The reason for this is not some pseudo-science thing or mythological health benefit. It's more that IF is a mindset, a self-disciplined approach to structuring your eating day and food expectations in which "no means no", i.e., no calories outside the eating window. Once you really internalize that and prove to yourself that you can do it, staying completely calorie free outside the eating window becomes habitual and easy, especially as your appetite dissipates when your brain fully realizes it ain't gonna get a single, solitary calorie until the window opens or after it closes. That's the point at which you really accrue the benefits of IF. As long as you are fudging, making small allowances, eliminating X but not Y because you really enjoy Y, you are not fully retraining your brain for "no means no" and will probably remain hungry and food-interested outside the eating window, whereas that hunger and interest in food is something you can conquer with some patience and discipline.

That said, it won't kill you to have a little cream or sugar in your morning coffee. It won't slow down your weight loss beyond a trivial, irrelevant amount, and it won't really change anything else. But you should pay attention to resetting your your mindset for a full embrace of IF if you want to do it, at least for a couple/few weeks, at which point you will be much better informed as to its beneficial impact on hunger and cravings, and whether it works for you and is something you want to continue with, modify a little at the edges, or dispense with.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    @Igfrie. Grizzled old veteran huh?
    What does that make me? A dinosaur bone?
    I’ve been intermittent fasting since before it had a name. High school senior year 1979. Damn, I feel
    Old.😂
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    I did IF IN January, and have done it intermittently since then. I found im a runner, who runs first thing in the morning and I just didn't do well on an empty stomach. So I do a split IF. I have a banana and a coffee before my run, usually around 530am. Then have breakfast at 12pm, and stop eating for the day around 7-8pm.

No one has arrested me yet...

So my opinion is give it a go, see if it works, and tweak it to suit you. I do it this way because I like to eat towards the end of the day, and my husband does the evening cooking, so I like to keep a large chunk of calories free for what ever he makes, as I rarely know ahead to time.

Basically you do you.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    @Igfrie. Grizzled old veteran huh?
    What does that make me? A dinosaur bone?
    I’ve been intermittent fasting since before it had a name. High school senior year 1979. Damn, I feel
    Old.😂

I had the same thought. Been doing it on and off for over 10 years.
  • marycarstens
    marycarstens Posts: 4 Member
    Is anyone using the 5/2 method of fasting? 2 days with 500 calories and then regular eating (I am going careful on the other 5)
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Is anyone using the 5/2 method of fasting? 2 days with 500 calories and then regular eating (I am going careful on the other 5)

I've done it. It works fine, but those two days are pretty difficult and, for me, were demoralizing. I found it muuuuuuch easier to do 16:8.
  • OAS5
    OAS5 Posts: 374 Member
    Well I am really loving this. I'm finding it easier and easier to do. Today I was bogged down at work and didn't eat till 12:30. Its working out just fine so far and I like not having to make breakfast in the morning.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

@marycarstens
    I did 5:2 to lose my excess weight and found it far easier to stick to compared to an everyday deficit to give me a sensible weekly calorie allowance and steady rate of loss.

Highlights how different we are in terms of adherence that @lgfrie found 5:2 demoralizing and that describes how I feel about eating in a deficit day after day after day after day.......
  • Taytaylynn92
    Taytaylynn92 Posts: 230 Member
    I love IF! I typically do 18:6 or 20:4. I feel great and am learning to control my cravings.
  • kaydensmom2009
    kaydensmom2009 Posts: 57 Member
    I started only one month ago and am loving it. I’m started doing 15:9, from 10a-7p and now I’m 16:8, from 11a-7p. I’m doing it because I binge at night and find it easier to have a cut off point.