Chronic illness and morbidly obese

Options
Hi just looking for any advice. I have Psoriatic Arthritis in all major joints. I walk about 3000 steps a day on crutches and try to exercise when I can. I was just wanting to see if anyone has any experience or advice with this? Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't have the same experience, but I do have issues with my knees and was advised by my surgeon to lose weight. He certainly mentioned arthritis as a longer time likelihood. I thought that losing weight would be impossible as I couldn't exercise at the time but, from reading comments on this forum over the last couple of years, and from my own experience in that period, I've realised that I can lose weight by just eating less than I ate before - you don't have to exercise to lose weight. I mostly still eat the same foods, just smaller portions (or not so many in the case of biscuits, cakes etc) so I don't feel that I'm depriving myself in any way.

I don't know that weight loss will actually help with arthritis if you already have it, but it will certainly put less pressure on your hips, knees and ankles which in turn should reduce pain.

My knee issues are still there and will never go away, but losing weight and building up the muscles in my legs through walking (and other exercise now) has certainly helped with pain management.

Good Luck.
  • wendyheath32
    wendyheath32 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis in my back and since Its gotten bad I just haven't been able to exercise, even walking. I did put some weight on but now I've set it to half a lb a week, so the calorie drop isn't so steep. As I'm sedentary now and is rather take my time with this now. It's going well, lost a lb so far. As what the previous poster said, modifying what I eat, whilst still eating the things I enjoy, has been the key
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,797 Member
    Options
    I wasn’t morbidly obese, but was most certainly obese, and repeat episodes of an illness left me with arthritis-like joint pain, so I can’t equate specifically to you, but I relate.

Losing weight not only helped immensely with the joint pain, but helped in many other areas, particularly GERD.

I don’t think we realize, since it creeps up on us so slowly, the immense pressure and destruction we put our body, joints, organs under by carrying excess weight.

There are many, many people here who have lost weight without exercise. And many, who once the weight started coming off, found themselves motivated to begin exercising regularly.

Exercise doesn’t have to be elaborate, involve equipment or a trainer, or be carefully scheduled. Walking is the simplest, cheapest, most effective thing you can do for yourself.

If you are walking 3,000 steps a day, even adding as little as 100 more a day can double your distance in a month.

Look for the NEAT strategies thread here for simple ways to increase your steps. It is 22 steps from my laundry room to my dresser. As goofy as it sounds, by breaking my laundry into little bits to put away at a time, I can get as much as a quarter mile just doing that.

I guess you just have to reach the point (as I did) is this what I want for myself for the rest of my life? If I wouldn’t wish it on my children or friends, why would I accept it for myself? Did I want to be my mother: bedridden, severely diabetic, under 24/7 care, and bitterly complaining about how unfair life is?

Once I made that decision, it began falling into place.

It wasn’t easy. Surprisingly, eating less and exercising was. Educating myself about my food and my body wasn’t.

Life is a series of opportunities or misfortunes, and it’s solely up to you to determine which they are. I decided to turn myself from Suzy Negativity into Cup Half Full Woman.

If I could reach out and hug you, and gently encourage you to CARE for yourself, I would, honey. But encouragement is just words. The desire has to happen within.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    You may want to check in with an occupational therapist (OT) and/or physiotherapist (PT) who specializes in arthritis or joint inflammation.

There may be additional things you can do or other mobility devices you can employ beyond the crutches (which I hope are sized for you as that can cause other difficulties, otherwise).
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Yes I have quite a lot of experience both personally and as a trainer for those with autoimmune diseases.

Do you have a specific question?