No strict diets for me, anyone else?

Replies

• healthyjudy43
    healthyjudy43 Posts: 8 Member
    Wonderful advices, thank you all!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,377 Member
    I ate everything I ate before when losing weight, and still eat it now. It's just less.
  • mehshell420
    mehshell420 Posts: 899 Member
    I never followed a diet plan. Once I got back into MFP, I just made sure to consistently log no matter what I ate. Once I realized my eating patterns, I adjusted to a more healthy way of eating and took a better look at nutrition labels. It's totally ok to indulge in moderation and not make yourself feel bad for indulging in treats.
  • This is what I'm doing. As long as I can make the day come in just under my calorie limit, then I'm doing good. Tonight is a Chinese feast with fried rice and barbecued pork and crab rangoon and egg drop soup and a spring roll, and....it works out to come in under calories. I'm not deprived at ALL.
  • Keef75
    Keef75 Posts: 546 Member
    Totally agree. I do exactly the same. I used to follow strict diets but could never maintain them due to the strictness. Like fitness, a diet needs to be enjoyable or you won’t be consistent. Now I track my macros and either work on a deficit/maintain/surplus depending on the time of year and I have been doing this for months without any real problems.💪💪
  • Nightfly01
    Nightfly01 Posts: 85 Member
    I find if I try something strict that my family is not on board it is doomed to fail.
  • TiffanyNicole421
    TiffanyNicole421 Posts: 43 Member
    Thanks for sharing everyone. Your success stories are inspiring. I am going to focus on staying within my daily calorie goal by making smarter choices. I have 20 pounds to drop to get to my goal weight. I tried Keto, hated it. I tried fasting, which worked but I gave up quickly and started binge eating. Hopefully this is something I can stick with to get back to goal weight of 145. I currently feel disgusting. I need to remember that results won't happen quickly.
  • jim_n_virginia
    jim_n_virginia Posts: 59 Member
    I'm not doing a strick diet either. Just trying to stay under goal calories and workout 4 days a weeks.

Seems to be working for me. Please feel free to add me if you want always looking for supportive pals!
  • Nsdnjbl
    Nsdnjbl Posts: 66 Member
    Same! Trying to cut back and see what happens without jumping in any fad.🤪
  • JasmijnRF
    JasmijnRF Posts: 184 Member
    Yep, same here! Good luck to you, you can do it!
  • wendhall
    wendhall Posts: 37 Member
    I agree, no crazy super strict diets, eating healthier and less for lifetime weight loss is the best choice.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Finally people who think like me! If your diary is open and you don't restrict your calories *too* much feel free to add
  • roz0810
    roz0810 Posts: 1,238 Member
    me too! just simply calorie counting and some exercise. feel free to add me, open diary here
  • dhcurtis22
    dhcurtis22 Posts: 13 Member
    No restrictions....try to stay just under calorie intake....losing about 1.5 a week....did away with alcohol....back into running/jogging/walking....try to eat clean.....using bodyfast for IF (intermittent fasting) 10/14 works for me....and thanks for all your posts it gets a person thinking...always good!
  • Joannamarie062016
    Joannamarie062016 Posts: 17 Member
    Doing the same! I lost 8 pounds my first week and a half just counting calories. I know counting calories works as I've lost before. Just need to lose and keep off this time! Good luck all!
  • ganival
    ganival Posts: 93 Member
    Love this approach, I think eating a wide variety of foods is the most sustainable. Portion control for me is the hardest, especially when it comes to cooking my own meals. I don't have the time to enter recipes into the calculator, nor do I want to eat out of boxes. How are you all managing that? I've just been eyeballing the portion, estimating what's inside and using less oil, plus choosing lean meats when cooking.
  • LernRach
    LernRach Posts: 286 Member
    I'm starting tomorrow... again... But this time 2 weeks post partum. I am aware that I it is very soon, almost too soon, but I need to get my liver back to healthy prior to an appointment in the next few months. I have decided to put weight loss to 1lb a week, and am pretty sedentary at the moment understandably. I have been given 1580 calories and plan on using them. This way I am easing into it slowly. I hope scales will move slowly slowly and then i will lower it week by week.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    ganival wrote: »
    Love this approach, I think eating a wide variety of foods is the most sustainable. Portion control for me is the hardest, especially when it comes to cooking my own meals. I don't have the time to enter recipes into the calculator, nor do I want to eat out of boxes. How are you all managing that? I've just been eyeballing the portion, estimating what's inside and using less oil, plus choosing lean meats when cooking.

The results are all that matters so if doing what you're doing is getting the results you want then there's no need to complicate things or make things more difficult. It's all about getting the results you want with as little effort as possible.

Keep in mind though that should things stop progressing you might need to up the effort a little bit to get back on track by logging a little bit more diligently and accurately or whatnot.

I don't find using the recipe builder time consuming at all really. It's takes a tiny bit of extra effort the first time you create something but still not really difficult or onerous. I just start a new Recipe and each ingredient takes a short detour to the scale before being used. Then once it's all cooked and ready to serve I just put the whole thing on the scale, divide that weight by the number of servings and I'm done.

For example making a soup. I weigh all the ingredients as they go in the pot and decide that the recipe makes 4 serves. Once it's cooked I chuck it on the scale and lets say the whole thing weighs in at 840g, I'll serve up 4x210g serves and I'm done.

If it's a previously used recipe it's even easier. Either I'll follow the exact same ingredients and weights so won't need to change anything. Even if this time the cooking goes a little different and it weighs 720g. I'll still divide that into 4x180g serves which will have the same calories (same raw ingredients = same calories regardless of cooked weight). Or, if I make any changes to the recipe I'll quickly change those ingredients which will update the calories per serve.
  • amummystale
    amummystale Posts: 18 Member
    I just started but I have no strict plans. There's a famous diet plan I've started 5 or 6 times and given up so many times, probably wasted about £200 on it and I'm now heavier than I've ever been with no real ideas on nutrition, so that was fun
  • laughingdakini1
    laughingdakini1 Posts: 52 Member
    Yup, I also rejoined here and saw that what I was eating normally, although vegetaraian, was insane calories and sodium, and have made intelligent efforts to reduce those. I don't always hit the recommended calorie goal, but the sodium is way down, and the calories are okay, and I do a lot of dancing around in front of my computer for exercise, so that helps too. I tend to not eat three meals, and so the snacking is itself a meal, and that sort of works for me since it tends to be healthy stuff--tangerines, organic flaxseeds, organic chocolate, and some pretzels mostly. Some days just have mental health events, like housemates or online friends freaking out etc., and then I see that I eat more and can understand why. Good luck to all! If anyone wants to be friends, please add me.