Motivation during COVID home stay

Options
Hi all
I’ve been doing great on my fitness journey but now a new challenge.
My CrossFit gym just announced that they will be closed until further notice, and when I’m home and bored all I want to do is snack!!
I was avoiding the gym for the past two days anyway to be safe - but got my workouts by bicycling. Today it is too cold for me- I don’t have cold weather gear. I keep saying I will do body weight stuff at home but never do it.
But the snack monster is trying hard to get it’s grip on me.
Anyone else having these issues? How to you fight it off? How do you motivate to workout at home? I know many of you do this all the time.
Thanks!!

Replies

• shetland
    shetland Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym, so I am using this time to motivate and be more active. Since I am home now, I am trying to go for walks to get sun and fresh air. It is still chilly here but the sun feels good. In terms of snacks and food, I am just trying to remind myself how hard I have worked and not to let this derail me. I made sure to stock up on all the foods I typically eat and throw stuff in the freezer so I am not stuck with only less healthy options.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Boredom and stress can both make me want to snack and it feels like this particular situation has both (at least for me!). Pre-planning my meals and snacks helps -- if it isn't on the plan, I just don't eat it on days when I know I'm emotionally vulnerable to over-eating.

I invested in a couple of outerwear that allow me to do my outdoor workout in most kinds of cold weather. That may not be practical for you right now, but you can find all kinds of workouts (including those good for living rooms or other smaller spaces) on YouTube or other streaming services.

I am really focusing on how I want to come out of this -- I don't want to get back to "real life" with extra pounds and that will be determined by my daily decisions when I'm stuck in the house. Don't be too hard on yourself if you can't workout as much or as hard as usual -- you can still make choices when it comes to food that will determine what your progress will be.
  • josephinebowman
    josephinebowman Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I generally am home anyway, home schooling son. We operate out of the upstairs and kitchen is downstairs. I make a list of what I will be eating for the day and then go by that -- not written in blood but a guide. I also 'fast' from 6 pm through 10 am. That has been my big victory or defense. I drink herbal tea when I go to kitchen so that sort of puts me off. Have a fruit or 1/2. And now that my YMCA has closed, I am needing to walk. COLD but hopes for warmth in the coming days. I live by a historic cemetery but can't walk fast enough b/c I stop to look at stones. Our smallish town hasn't a mall and I wouldn't go but there are parks and forests with paths. A lot of people on another site talk about Leslie Sansone (?something like that) on Youtube being their go-to person.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I am a stay at home Mom so I am home most of the day with my two youngest. To be honest I am normally too busy to eat so I have to make it a priority and plan ahead to make sure I get my cals in. I meal prep chicken or make sure I have it in the freezer to put together a quick meal. Otherwise I just make a sandwich or eggs. I am not a big snacker, mostly just drink coffee during the day (and then forget it somewhere!). It's hard to eat when you are busy doing something with your hands... cleaning, folding, writing, etc. so that might help.

I also workout at home, I just make sure I follow a schedule and remember how important my goals are to me. My gym is my me time so I try to never skip it.

In this particular case, if you are having issues controlling yourself, it might help to think that you want to spread out your food just in case you can't get out as often as you'd like, or put stuff that you eat often out of sight/reach or in the freezer if possible.

• kathsk53
    kathsk53 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Just been watching the news (uk) looks like we will be on lock down soon, think I’m going to try and set down a time table, to make me get off my backside and do something. Otherwise I’m just going to get board and cook, I love to cook but my weight would just go up. Going to start practicing the piano had lessons couple of years ago, after I inherited a piano but never kept it up, time to try again, I also wNt to do some embroidery got all the stuff, if I’m going to be stuck indoors this might be the time to start that, anything that keeps me out of the kitchen.good luck all in these challenging times. Stay healthy