If you could have one piece of gym equipment

Options
Hi all
My gym is closed due to COVID19. They will lend us each one piece of equipment- not a rower or bike or treadmill. Smaller things like kettlebells, dumbbells, abmats, jump rope etc.
I’m thinking I’ll take a sandbag. Or maybe a kettlebell.
What is most versatile? What would you take?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    A heavy boxing bag would be my top choice. After beating it up, you can hold it and squat it. Otherwise a kettlebell or sandbag. I'd seek out other equipment to go with it.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I choose kettle bell.

I could use it for variations of deadlifts, squats, step ups, lunges, presses, swings, etc...

I have literally no experience myself with one, but I could certainly see greater benefits compared to the other items you mentioned for my goals and health.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,995 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    My pull up/chin up bar combined with pushups. .... from your list only, Dumbbell or kettlebell
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,583 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what your goals are. If I didn't have anything I'd pick a set of dumbbells. I currently have a bike, treadmill, resistance bands, 5-10lb dumbbells, exercise ball, and foam roller. I work out at the gym every other day normally but would still like a weight bench.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    A hex bar so I could do deads and good mornings 24/7. I have kettlebells and DBs at home already. If size wasn't an issue though, I'd "borrow" the VersaClimber. I love those things.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    The Concept 2 Rower that I already own is the only piece of gym equipment that I'd never sell.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I would say dumbbells or kettlebells as they are very versatile.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Hi all
    My gym is closed due to COVID19. They will lend us each one piece of equipment- not a rower or bike or treadmill. Smaller things like kettlebells, dumbbells, abmats, jump rope etc.
    I’m thinking I’ll take a sandbag. Or maybe a kettlebell.
    What is most versatile? What would you take?

That’s awesome they’re able to lend you equipment. What you choose would depend on your current routine. I would take a KB lighter than the 25 lber I happen to have at home.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I would take the TRX straps.

Maybe my answer would be different if I didn't already have dumbbells at home though.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I will see if he’ll lend me a concept 2 rower. My wife and I are both members so maybe because at least two people will get the usage out of it, but they only have nine and my guess is that everyone will pick that. They fit in an SUV and are awesome.

So right now my plan is to get a 55lb (25 kg) kettlebell and use it for swings, goblet squats and suitcase carries. If I can get two, then I can do farmers walks as well.
    If not, then I’ll take a sandbag. But I made a homemade makeshift one today out of a bag of play sand and an old gym bag. It works but har to grab.
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    My concept 2 rower is the only thing I couldn't live without.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    So right now my plan is to get a 55lb (25 kg) kettlebell and use it for swings, goblet squats and suitcase carries. If I can get two, then I can do farmers walks as well.

Single arm farmer's walks (Suitcase Carries) are awesome for the abs & spinal muscles. :+1:
  • Mr_Healthy_Habits
    Mr_Healthy_Habits Posts: 12,588 Member
    Options
    Smith machine
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    A variety of resistance bands such as a tube with handles, a flat long dynaband, a figure 8 band, a loop band and a mini fabric band.

If I had to choose one it would be a tube with handles with a medium resistance.

It hits so many body parts, it's quiet, I can travel with it or use it in different rooms, it doesn't take up any space and it gets the job done for my goals.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Stairmaster. Haul it out.
  • Onedaywriter
    Onedaywriter Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!! I opted for two medium weight dumbbells in the end. The rowers were not an option - gym owner was concerned about them breaking in transit. Really I think he just knew everyone would want them and wanted to be fair to all. He only has nine rowers with >200 members.

I figure with two 35#dbs I can do suitcase and farmer carries, step ups to a bench I have in the yard, lots of weightlifting type stuff (low weight but high rep for calorie burn), goblet squats, swings and even put them in a backpack for some rucking. It was the gym owner/ head coach’s idea- I was originally thinking a heavy kettlebell (70 lbs) but this gives me the option to use both arms at the same time (Arnold presses, z presses etc) or put them in a backpack for heavy one arm stuff.