Any Upcoming Races You're Training For?

Options
My last race was the Spartan Race (PA Sprint) in July, but it feels like I've been riding the bench all year. I'm currently gearing up to run a Super Spartan Race on September 7th and the Philadelphia Rock n Roll Half Marathon the weekend after that.

My big challenge this year is going to be the Philadelphia Marathon though. I haven't run a full marathon since my first one over three years ago and I'm looking to do it right this time.

What about you? Anything exciting coming up?

Replies

• lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I am doing a half marathon in October. My first one.

I am curious though, what do you mean by doing it right this time? What do you think you did wrong last time. I am contemplating a full next year but am really scared to do one. I am going to get through the half then think more about a full.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Sept. 8th - Harrisburg Half Marathon
    Oct. 12th - Baltimore Marathon
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    ...what do you mean by doing it right this time?

For marathon training, this means "run a lot more miles". :smile:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    No more for this year, not going to push my IT band. I'm thinking two sprints and two oly distance tris next year. A friend of mine if really lobbying hard for me to go to Wildflower.

If it were Mildflower, sure.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Dirty Dash on August 31, 10K on September 21 then done for the season. Next year I'm looking to add in some cycling events as well as a triathlon; this year was all about running and I just need to throw some other sports into the mix to keep from getting too bored.
  • KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I have a few coming up.

September 14 - Badass Dash (obstacles and 7km run)
    October 6 - Colour me Rad 5 km
    October 26 - WestMONSTER Woods 5 KM

Those are just practice races..... the big one is:

November 16 - Winter Running Festival 5 KM (This is all pretty competitive runners. I'm trying to place in my age group)
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I've got the BAA half marathon on Oct 13 and the chilly half in Newton, MA on Nov 10th. My 3rd and 4th halfs.

I sort of feel like I should do a small race before these two to check in on how my training is going. Just haven't found one I want to do that fits my schedule.
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I've got a 5.5K trail run on 9/14, but I can't say I'm really training at this point. I'm running on Saturdays, but doing a different program (with no running) throughout the week.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I did the Montreal Hypothermic half in Feb and a Spartan Sprint in the spring. Right now I am week 11 in a 16 week program training to run my first full marathon at the end of Sept. (Montreal).

Think for next year I might get a season pass for the Spartan and try to get all 3 medals.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I have another Tough Mudder in October, but I don't think that counts as a race.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Chicago Marathon October 13, a few smaller races in September to tune up for that

Then its on to the Xterra SoCal trail series in the fall/winter!
  • kapatts
    kapatts Posts: 19
    Options
    I am curious though, what do you mean by doing it right this time? What do you think you did wrong last time. I am contemplating a full next year but am really scared to do one. I am going to get through the half then think more about a full.
    I didn't really have a gameplan going into it. I just got up in the morning and ran. I didn't vary the mileage or the pace that much and I didn't have my nutrition planned out. I suffered from some severe cramps at about the 18th mile and spent the last 8 miles run/walking. I was hoping for sub-4 hours. Realistically, I could've gotten maybe sub-4:20. In actuality, I finished in just short of 5 hours. This time, I'm taking it all really seriously.
  • Just_Wil
    Just_Wil Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My last race was the Spartan Race (PA Sprint) in July,

I ran that race too!!! I'm doing a Super Spartan this weekend in Virginia and doing the Citizen's Bank Park Spartan Sprint in September. i think there is a Tough Mudder in my area in October, but haven't looked it up yet.

Have fun on your Super!
  • fitnessbugg
    fitnessbugg Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    The inaugural Detroit Women's Half-Marathon on September 22, 2013: http://detroitwomenshalf.com/
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Ottawa Army Run half marathon september 22.

I also have a 8K August 31 and a 10K september 29, but not really training for those :)
  • sammyneb
    sammyneb Posts: 257
    Options
    Got a small town half on September 1st (hoping to place-when I mean small, I mean small 40 people ran the half last year :laugh: )
    a Cororate cup 10K September 15th
    Omaha Half September 22nd
    Des Moines Full October 20th (my first full)
  • dutchk
    dutchk Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm training for the Philly Marathon too. Last marathon I ran was 25 years ago! I got in 14 miles last weekend so I have a long way to go. I'm also going to do the Savage Race in Pennsylvania on Sep 14th. Best of luck to you!!
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    9/15 - 10K for a local food bank
    10/13 - 5K fun Run for local schools that I will do with my 6YO
    11/9 - Disney's Wine & Dine Half Marathon
    12/7 - Bah Humbug 5K
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Sept 29th - Hands On House Half Marathon (Lancaster, PA)
    Nov 3rd - Amish Country Half Marathon (Paradise, PA)

Maybe a 5 mile race on Sept 22nd, and a 12K on Oct 26th. Trying to decide if they will hurt my half perfomances!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    August 24th - the Frank Duffy 10 mile
    August 31st - Warrior Run 2013 (15km up and down a mountain)
    September 7th - BHAA Firhouse 10km
    September 21st - Dublin Half Marathon (my 4th half this year)
    September 29th - Jog for Jockeys 10km (a 10km to raise funds for the injured jockeys fund)
    October 2nd - another 10 mile
    October 28th - the Dublin Marathon (my first ever)