CrossFit, will it be worth it?

Options

Replies

• Frank_Just_Frank
    Frank_Just_Frank Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I think that if you like the workouts and you like the group environment, you won't question the price so much.....and you better have some specific results you can measure to make sure you get what you need from the place.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    At my Location, its unlimited for 100 bucks or 3 times a week its $75 for a month.

That's a really great price; I am not sure where you are, but in my area it's around $250+. If it were my thing, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Wow. $100 for unlimited? That's a jump on it and get it locked in price. I've never seen it as cheap as the $150 locally. I was used to seeing the program starting at $300 a month for where I lived in New England.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals, if all goes well, crossfit has the potential to get you in really good shape, but I think the crossfit methods are stupid and dangerous. Crossfit has it's followers completing heavy technical lifts in high rep ranges, then fatiguing their muscles and continuing the lifts while compromising form. This is a recipe for injury, plain and simple. There are other, much better ways to get in really good shape that I would consider before ever doing crossfit, but that is just me. Give it a try if you'd like, just be careful.

I couldn't agree more with this. Don't get me wrong, I am glad Crossfit is getting people off their couch. Here is the thing, not all Crossfit gyms are made the same. The only requirement to become a certified Crossfit trainer is a one weekend seminar. How can you expect to learn the complexities of these technical lifts on a weekend alone. I myself train using crossfitfootball.com. The programmers are really knowledgeable and the programming makes sense. Not to mention the owner is a professional athlete and has been coached by the best since college.

I couldn't disagree more with either of these two posts. As many others here have mentioned, not every box is the same, but most boxes mentioned in personal experiences above indicate a solid emphasis on form rather than weight or reps. I've heard stories of people injuring themselves at boot camps or at the gym working out by themselves. Does this mean no one should ever do those things? Anytime you do any type of workout (or anything else, for that matter), you do run the risk of injury if you're not following proper form. Duh--fact of life, people!
    In regards to the Crossfit certifications/trainings/etc., many trainers that I know have other fitness certifications from various other sources, as well. Local gyms often require some type of certification for their staff personal trainers, but the mettle of these certifications varies from facility to facility.

TL;DR -- don't let two people with negative experiences get in your way of trying it out for yourself at a box with knowledgeable, challenging instructors and a great atmosphere.
  • jenn26point2
    jenn26point2 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    In to read the comments from the crossfit hater that stalks the crossfitters... I'm sure she'll follow up with her typical canned response.

That being said, I'd do it if I could afford it. I would not be comfortable doing it outside of a box though b/c I'd want the coaching and training to ensure proper form and what not.
  • Tara1090
    Tara1090 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Not all Crossfit gyms are made the same. I joined a month ago, and I love it. I used to workout with a personal trainer but decided I needed something different. Its a hard workout, but you are motivated by others, and NO ONE screams at you, as one person said in this thread. Yes, we do heavy weights, but you start off low, and build up. No one expect you to bench press 105lbs. I'm still just using the 35lb bar and maybe in a few months I'll add some weight, but in the mean time, I think that if you can do it financially, at least try it for a month. what have you got to lose?!
  • CrazyAnimalLady
    CrazyAnimalLady Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge crossfit supporter. I didn't think it would be for me at first but I promised a friend I would try and it and become hooked. I was 345 lbs when I started and everything was able to be scaled to what I was capable of. You want to find a gym who is very attentive to your form otherwise you can get injured. At my gym if they see that your form is compromised they stop you, teach you how to do it properly and strip weights if they feel that they need to. I've been doing it for 5 months, it's absolutely one of the hardest things I've ever done but I absolutely love it and wouldn't trade it for the world.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    Crossfit slept with my cat and ran over my wife.

...so no, it's not worth it. :angry:
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals, if all goes well, crossfit has the potential to get you in really good shape, but I think the crossfit methods are stupid and dangerous. Crossfit has it's followers completing heavy technical lifts in high rep ranges, then fatiguing their muscles and continuing the lifts while compromising form. This is a recipe for injury, plain and simple. There are other, much better ways to get in really good shape that I would consider before ever doing crossfit, but that is just me. Give it a try if you'd like, just be careful.

That's a very general statement that is patently untrue in many cases. I just started at my box and the coaches have done nothing but focus on my form and making sure I learn the proper technique. They won't let me lift heavy yet until they make sure that I am doing things the right way. Just like some trainers at a traditional gym are better than others, so are CrossFit boxes. I love the one I go to and look forward to every WOD.

It is a general statement, but it does pertain to the time I tried out crossfit. It was a very young trainer (early 20's) with the kill em mentality. I am a CPT through ACSM and seen the way he was teaching and lack of leading. Bad form and one person who upchucked is what I witnessed. Needless to say I walked out, never to return. Crossfit, like any fitness regimen, depends on the trainer. I would be willing to give it another go though if the trainer is experienced and cares about his/her clientel!

That's a fair response. I would encourage you to look around and see if you can find another box in your area. CF is different than anything I have ever done and I am really enjoying it as a supplement to my running.
  • CrazyAnimalLady
    Options
    At my Location, its unlimited for 100 bucks or 3 times a week its $75 for a month.

That's a really great price; I am not sure where you are, but in my area it's around $250+. If it were my thing, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

Wow. $100 for unlimited? That's a jump on it and get it locked in price. I've never seen it as cheap as the $150 locally. I was used to seeing the program starting at $300 a month for where I lived in New England.

It's $150 for unlimited at my gym, $125 if you're referred by someone, and if you're a police officer or fire fighter they lower it to $85 a month.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    OP...personally I'd try a couple different boxes. Every box I've ever attended has some kind of an intro class...often it is free. The reason I say this is that not all boxes are created equal...there are good boxes and there are bad boxes...and then there are boxes that should really just be closed down for utter stupidness.

When I was looking into it, I went to three different boxes. One of these was just horrible...they had a free intro class on a Saturday morning...this was just before the new year so lots of people looking to change up their lifestyles and what not. At any rate, this was a full speed class...but only had 2 coaches in attendance and about 50 people (most of whom were fat and out of shape and hadn't done any of these kind of exercise ever). I couldn't believe the absolute stupidness that went on in this class and there was no way the coaches could keep an eye on everyone. If boxes aren't limiting the class sizes then that should be a red flag right there...they're more interested in volume and $$$ than making sure you don't break your neck.

The other two boxes I attended seemed very good. I would have gone with the one that offered the three week ramp on...longest ramp on of all three boxes...and they limited their class sizes to the smallest. Ultimately however, I decided that it wasn't really the route I wanted to go. For me it just came down mostly to money and whether I wanted to put those dollars towards something only I was going to benefit from or putting those dollars somewhere that could benefit my entire family. I ultimately decided on a family membership to the Jewish Community Center here in town and haven't regretted it. I do have a number of friends that CF though and they just love training like that.
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I checked out a local CrossFit gym yesterday, Looks like I can endure the workouts and it will be a change of pace....but the Price is pretty penny :)...is it worth it, I think I might try for 30 days? Whatcha Think?

if you think about it as paying for a personal trainer, Crossfit makes a lot of sense fiscally. You get pushed by those around you more than you might push yourself at a regular gym. I pay for unlimited, and usually go about 5x per week for an hour or 2 ( I stick around to do extra heavy lifting as a part of the competitor's group. Were I to go to a personal trainer to push me and train me, I'd be shelling out at least $40 per hour. Assuming I had those services for only an hour a day, that's $200 per week, $800 per month. Crossfit is certainly worth it for me. My coach is very very keen on form and watches everyone like a hawk
  • momof2osaurus
    momof2osaurus Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    If the box you visited made you comfortable with their focus on form and helping you, then do it! Crossfit was the best decision I've ever made for my health and the first exercise I've ever truly loved.

My box is $125/mo unlimited, and 2/3 of my coaches are 23 - and they're amazing. Informed, focused on helping people, and they make sure people have the info they need.
  • georgie304
    georgie304 Posts: 143
    Options
    Like others have said...not all coaches are created equal.

My coach watches us like crazy for form.... and when we are pushing our max, we have spotters and are told to dump the bar if it is too much.

Most will offer at least 1 free class, more likely 2.... Try the free classes...if you like it, then try the 1 month.

We had some people from another gym jump ship and come by us b/c they were getting too big and the coach couldn't watch as well as when they first started.

If you have a good coach, it is well worth the money!.... And yes, there are CF trolls out there that will start sending you private messages. Good luck! If you decide you like it, join the private Crossfit Love group. The troll is blocked from there.

Hope it all works out well for you, no matter your decision. Anyone can do CF, but it isn't for everyone.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    OP, let us know when you get a PM describing all the dangers of CF...cuz, you'll get one.

ETA: if I had the cash and the time to get to a box, I'd totally try it.
  • bobbystrongarm
    Options
    Crossfit or a true regimented strength program are absolutely fantastic.

Both get very tough and will have you hurting in ways you didn't know possible.

Check groupon for local deals to try a gym out. Crossfit is very expensive, at least around me. I personally wont swing it right now, but I have the motivation to beat the crap out of myself at the gym. Some people need that extra push and take well to all the instruction, comradery, and motivation..

If you want a crossfit body, but don't have the skillset, knowledge, or drive to do it yourself absolutely sign up. I know a lot of people are intimidated by intense workouts, heavy weights, barbells, kettlebells, and olympic style lifting. A crossfit class is the perfect environment to get over it and train hard.
  • CrazyAnimalLady
    Options
    In to read the comments from the crossfit hater that stalks the crossfitters... I'm sure she'll follow up with her typical canned response.

That being said, I'd do it if I could afford it. I would not be comfortable doing it outside of a box though b/c I'd want the coaching and training to ensure proper form and what not.

Apparently she's taken to inboxing everyone rather than putting it in the thread, I know this because she apparently thought she could change my mind. Ridiculous.
  • InTheInbetween
    InTheInbetween Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    In a word: YES! It's worth it.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    How is the eye candy?
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    No thanks. Complicated/technical compound lifts where the measurement of success is often reps for time. Seems to carry an undertone of excess risk by my books. Case in point, recent WODs from the crossfit site:

Five rounds for time of:
    95 pound Sumo deadlift high-pull, 21 reps (105 reps total, with time being the target???)
    21 Ring dips

For time:
    30 Snatches

Deadlift 7-7-7-7-7-7-7 reps (I have read a lot, and never have I seen 49 reps of deadlift deemed appropriate)

Two rounds for time of:
    135 pound Thruster, 30 reps (60 total reps of a dynamic, overhead compound move, again with time as a goal)
    30 L Pull-ups

etc. etc. etc.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    No thanks. Complicated/technical compound lifts where the measurement of success is often reps for time. Seems to carry an undertone of excess risk by my books. Case in point, recent WODs from the crossfit site:

Five rounds for time of:
    95 pound Sumo deadlift high-pull, 21 reps (105 reps total, with time being the target???)
    21 Ring dips

For time:
    30 Snatches

Deadlift 7-7-7-7-7-7-7 reps (I have read a lot, and never have I seen 49 reps of deadlift deemed appropriate)

Two rounds for time of:
    135 pound Thruster, 30 reps (60 total reps of a dynamic, overhead compound move, again with time as a goal)
    30 L Pull-ups

etc. etc. etc.

Spoken like someone who has never set foot in a Crossfit box.