How Are You Staying on Track During All This?

Options
13»

Replies

• JoeyTheWanderer
    JoeyTheWanderer Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I was lucky enough to have decided to opt for a budget at home gym. Got myself a set of resistance bands, jumprope and yoga mat. I lost around 45lbs before I even got on Mfp; then I hit my first plateau. Ain't going let Illinois Quarantine; keep me from bringing my sexy back. Though if that bad joke was anything to go by; it has effected me. Feel free to add me. I'll try to send advice your way; if you need it.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    You remind me that this is a good time to get back to jump roping.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,430 Member
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Do you know, I haven’t done that since I was a kid. It sounds kinda fun, cheap, and imminently quarantine friendly.

Hmmm.......
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I am staying on track as far as I can tell. But simply have not had time to log anything. So all I can do on that front is make use of my years of logging and trust that my portion control etc is reasonably accurate. Scales have not moved in the last 10 days so I think I am doing OK for the moment. Now that we are stocked up in case of 14 days quarantine for the whole household I have turned my attention to buying some extra fitness equipment, since our gyms closed on Friday. I am fortunate to have a large room in which I can exercise, plus a garden. Without exercise as a stress release I know my mental wellbeing may start to suffer a little and I am not prepared to allow that to happen.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options

Do you know, I haven’t done that since I was a kid. It sounds kinda fun, cheap, and imminently quarantine friendly.

Hmmm.......

And WAY harder as an adult! I hope you all are much more successful at it than I was when I tried it a few years ago. I should have taken my time and been more consistent. Maybe I'll try it again because it is a really good workout.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »

Hmmm.......

And WAY harder as an adult! I hope you all are much more successful at it than I was when I tried it a few years ago. I should have taken my time and been more consistent. Maybe I'll try it again because it is a really good workout.

Yeah, it is really hard. I started doing it again (loved it as a kid) when I was doing crossfit, and bought a jump rope to have at home, but I never really spent time on it sufficient to work up the minutes I could manage (and never accomplished a double under either). Maybe this is the time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    I'm not bored really. I'm working from home and my two young boys are here with me as well. I'm not nearly as productive as when I'm in the office, but I'm getting stuff done...but I have to manage both my work as well as the boys' schedule. Part of that schedule is starting the day off with some morning exercise...going for a walk or family bike ride or jumping on the trampoline, etc. We are fortunate in that spring is in full swing here and the weather has been very nice for the most part...hitting a high of 70* today. We also have an afternoon fresh air/exercise time built into the schedule. I'm actually more active with not having to go to the office and not having a 2 hour daily commute.

Had some bands I ordered last week arrive this weekend, so I'm going to start using those and some bodyweight stuff for resistance training.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Had some bands I ordered last week arrive this weekend, so I'm going to start using those and some bodyweight stuff for resistance training.

Great idea! I'm going to order some too!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Pretty easily compared to usual (barring an actual lockdown). No bars/restaurants/ dancing/potlucks. Only recreational activities left are riding/running/hiking, with no pub stops afterward. And don't want to brave the madness of the grocery stores to keep up with food bars for when I'm doing all those. And I've never kept junk food in the house.
  • Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I’m on day 4 of self isolation after returning from Australia early. So far I’ve just been dancing around my apartment and stretching. I really should add some floor work since I have a mat. My diet has changed because I came home to an empty fridge plus a few items a friend picked up for me. So I’m eating mostly pasta and rice with not much protein or veggies. Food will be delivered on Thursday so just two more days!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Pretty easily compared to usual (barring an actual lockdown). No bars/restaurants/ dancing/potlucks. Only recreational activities left are riding/running/hiking, with no pub stops afterward. And don't want to brave the madness of the grocery stores to keep up with food bars for when I'm doing all those. And I've never kept junk food in the house.

The main difficulty for me will be the lack of strength training with the gyms closed. With (what would have been) the start of roadie season, I was planning to heavily deload legs and lessen the number of sessions anyway... So I'll just have to rely on the cycling and trail running completely to maintain leg strength in the mean time. But arms will be a difficulty. Normally, my plan would have been pull-ups and push-ups. But with my right clavicle not properly healed, both are problematic. I've healed enough that I can get away with using the really strong assistance band for pull-ups, but much of the motion is then too easy on the muscles mixed with a very short range where I do feel it at the break. And for BP, I could zone in on a bar weight that worked my arm muscles without aggravating my shoulder.. Not so easy to do with push-ups... Easy on my arm muscles, but results in a very sharp pain near the break if I try to do them (including pushing from a higher point to try to lessen weight) .