Big Shout Out

springlering62
springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
edited March 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
Can I just give a big shout out to all my MFP friends who are still recording workouts, staying under goal, on their umpteenth day of unbroken log-in steaks, and even showing losses?

The boards are so quiet I was worried many people were caving in to stress and depression.

WAY TO GO, PEOPLE!!!

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 8,283 Member
    @RelCanonical Keep it up, sweety. It’s been too hard for both of us to get here to flub it up now!
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    it's only started getting serious in my neck of the woods in WV; starting next week, I'm going to be working mostly from home, so the challenge level is going to sky-rocket since I"m going to be home around my food. And its really amazing how creative I can get when I want to snack........Plus trying to get the steps in I'd been getting is going to be difficult. I was actually finally getting myself to routinely get in at least 6,000 steps a day by taking time during the workday and walking a couple of circuits around the complex. I live in an area that isn't all that great for walking, though I do it, and i have to go a lot further to get the same distance in that I was getting at work. I could walk at work and still be on company property, so if something came up, I could be back at my desk in no time; that's a whole lot harder at home because to get the same distance, I'll have to walk pretty far from my front door.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 14,140 Member
    edited March 2020
    I could be back at my desk in no time; that's a whole lot harder at home because to get the same distance, I'll have to walk pretty far from my front door.
    Around the block? (while on the phone too :smile: )
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,371 Member
    scarlett_k wrote: »
    People don't "cave in" to stress and depression. That implies some sort of choice.

You may not have a choice with depression but how you react to stress is a choice.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    People don't "cave in" to stress and depression. That implies some sort of choice.

So much this... everyone's burden is different.
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Great thread. I love positive healthy habit encouraging people.

Keep calm and keep being.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I may be a weird one, but keeping to my regular routines (as much as possible) with food and activity has been incredibly helpful during this period.

My routine has altered because of things like not going to the gym but I have already been adapting. I was already working from home so no adjustment there. I am not sure I am experiencing any additional stress. In perspective people are dying every second of the day from some cause. This is just a new one. It needs to be slowed or stopped until medical treatment can catch up but other than being prudent there is not much I can do. Living in fear of dying is not really living so I adapt and worry more when there is some reason to do so.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,729 Member
    I'm still on track, sort of. Despite having been in lock-down for a week and climbing the walls already.
    The biggest problem was getting sick from some bug (Covid19 or other) which stopped me exercising, making it very tough to stick to my calorie goal. I've been hovering between maintenance and my goal deficit, which is a victory in itself :wink:

I had wondered about the boards being calm, but I thought it might just be a calm spell after the rush of all the new years resolutioners?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Even loners aren't safe from reacting negatively to this. Having my family around all the time has thrown my usual routine out the window. I am within calories, at least.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    ccrdragon wrote: »

You may not have a choice with depression but how you react to stress is a choice.

By saying "how you react to stress is a choice," you seem to be seeing anxiety disorder as different from depression, which I find odd.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Even loners aren't safe from reacting negatively to this. Having my family around all the time has thrown my usual routine out the window. I am within calories, at least.

This is my issue... so many people... so little space. No usual outlets.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Since I work at a restaurant my job is gone until this is all over. I'm stressing hardcore, but trying to deal with it, the day we were let go (Wednesday) I just literally laid in bed after I came home, yesterday I moved a bit more, but my eating was more in the maintenance zone. It's a struggle, but I'm trying.

Yes, when I read this AM about all non-essential businesses being shut down in the county in which my company is based I developed pain in my back that is yet to go away despite finding out we are oddly exempt due to a weird technicality.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,371 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    ccrdragon wrote: »

By saying "how you react to stress is a choice," you seem to be seeing anxiety disorder as different from depression, which I find odd.

I wasn't thinking of anxiety as stress, but I can see how it could show up that way.

I usually (just me personally and trying to make light of anyone) don't have a problem with stress - it helps me maintain my weight because I stop eating when I am stressed - I know, not a good way to lose weight but it is what it is. I also work a high-pressure job with daily deadlines, weekly deadlines, etc. so I am used to the pressure cooker.