Grocery List (What You Need Vs. What You Bought)

Options
that_night_in_paris
that_night_in_paris Posts: 457 Member
edited March 2020 in Chit-Chat
I'm sure some of you are having to choose alternatives to the products you need at the grocery store during these times of scarcity in the first world.

What substitutions have you made and how much are you willing to deviate from your grocery list?

Saw a hippie in a rasta hat reluctantly put a bottle of Crisco in his cart with a dejected look on his face. You just knew avocado oil was on his list. We're all feeling it right now.

Replies

• TwitchyMacGee
    TwitchyMacGee Posts: 3,120 Member
    Options
    I'm sure some of you are having to choose alternatives to the products you need at the grocery store during these times of scarcity in the first world.

What substitutions have you made and how much are you willing to deviate from your grocery list?

Saw a hippie in a rasta hat reluctantly put a bottle of Crisco in his cart with a dejected look on his face. You just knew avocado oil was on his list. We're all feeling it right now.

I had to buy whole wheat flour instead of unbleached all purpose and Scott’s tp is unavailable
  • XxFunctionalStrengthxX
    XxFunctionalStrengthxX Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    and Scott’s tp is unavailable

I thought I was the only one who used it?! :lol:

For myself, so far I can't say I've had to make much in the way of deviations. My grocery list is really simple, and if I deviate it's more because I want to. For example, instead of buying regular oatmeal, I bought Scottish oatmeal as a variety to it. Aside from a couple of items, I'm not name brand specific.
  • iMago
    iMago Posts: 8,714 Member
    Options
    i usually buy the cheapest stuff there is either way. i put in an online grocery pickup order two days ago and should be able to get it today after 5, but there's no guarantee im getting it all at this point obviously. still- im hoping the absolute bottom shelf brands will work out in my favor.
  • _sw33tp3a_11
    _sw33tp3a_11 Posts: 4,692 Member
    Options
    My go to is Aldi. I however, don't like their pasta, pasta sauce and rice. I had to go elsewhere to buy these things other than that, I'm not picky.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I bought regular eggs instead of pasture raised, and regular butter instead of Kerrygold. I'll use them for baking things. The only pasta in the store was lentil pasta. I'm gluten free, but even I didn't buy that stuff. It is not good.
  • OpheliaCooter
    OpheliaCooter Posts: 1,635 Member
    Options
    We've bought different bread and eggs but I don't think we've been super affected.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I bought pasta, even tho I had 2 open packages. It made me feel better to have it even tho I rarely eat it.

I bought waay more wine than usual and another bottle of whiskey even tho I have 2 open bottles and dont drink it often.

I didn't buy any fresh produce, which I usually do, because ew...people breathing on and handling it.

Felt I had to secure an extra tube of toothpaste and randomly a frozen pizza.
  • NotSoFat70
    NotSoFat70 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'll be laid off for a bit so I stocked up on meat. I also bought cheap cans of ravioli even though i don't really like it;doesn't taste like it used to.A package of tp lasts me almost a year,I'm sure I'll be fine

Oh,a jug of forty creek whiskey too
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,601 Member
    Options
    I only have like 4 staples I need week after week that I can't or won't really buy online: bread, bananas, egg whites/egg substitute, and butternut squash. I've figured when to get the bananas but bread has been scarce. I like the cheapo 50 calorie per slice white bread Vons sells but haven't seen that in it seems ages so I finally broke down and bought Hostess bread from CVS that's 75 calories a slice. THEN I found something a little better at Target that I bought so now I'm ok for a couple weeks.

The egg whites/egg substitute has been elusive to me so far and I REALLY don't know what I'm going to do when I run out if I can't get to a store a time they'd still have some.

My problem is I'm on a soft foods diet for the next month or so and I'm limited to what proteins I can eat.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I've shopped with a list for years so wrapping my head around empty aisles and fridges in grocery stores is still a challenge

What I wanted ---> What I got

Whole chicken ---> Chicken pieces
    Brown sugar ---> Yellow sugar (a curious blend of white and brown?!)

Tomorrow morning, I head to the farmer's market for local garlic. I am generally trying to buy local to keep the economy going and growing and so forth.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    I scrounged at the supermarket today, more or less. There was no chicken (yet again) or any other meat, so I guess I'll just have to learn to do without for awhile until this whole thing blows over.

I picked out some snack foods (those were starting to be in short supply as well), two bottles of cola, some eggs, green onions, cilantro, a sad can of black beans that was all alone on the shelf, tampons, garlic powder and some boxes of Hamburger Helper and couscous that were on sale.

Also, rum. Because I needed it after looking at the deplorable shelves and watching the ridiculous hoarding going on.

Even after limiting patrons to 3 of any one item per customer, there was still nothing.
  • TarryTaffyTwo
    TarryTaffyTwo Posts: 448 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I haven't been to the market since the SofE, but am lucky that I have 4 grocery stores within a few miles, so I'll visit on Mon. Hopefully, one store will do it... I just need some kind of fresh food & diswashing packets, if any are left. I won't leave empty handed... I'll take a bit of whatever I can find... cans, some frozen foods, dried grains, even though I never eat that stuff. If nothing's available, there are all kinds of fast food places around, so I planned to just drive-thru a McD's or Wendy's to get a bag of burgers to cut in half, then freeze... again, even though I never eat that kind of food. It'll do in a pinch & no reason to be picky when pickin's are slim.

But, I have changed what I eat at home. Usually I eat meat/poultry/fish, hot veggies & salad... that's about it. If I eat breakfast, it's sausages & egg yolks only (I don't like the whites). But I've been making omelettes so I can stretch the eggs further & casseroles, stews & soups instead of 1 meal with a piece of beef or chicken, so I can stretch it out to 2-3 meals.

I'm not at the point where I need to ration, but I'm deliberately doing so & eating 1/2 or less of what I normally eat, too. Fortunately, I'm a stress non-eater rather than the reverse, so I'm not really hungry lately anyway. One meal/day's been fine.
  • kosseychick
    kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    @Vikka_V I bought carnations yesterday too when I was at the grocery store! 😊. They brighten my mood as well!
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Prior to this virus I was within the process of rotating my hurricane/tornado bundle. Since I've been unable to secure soup cans beyond the 6 that I already've for it & ½ as much water, I chose to buy a variety of meal replacement shake bottles {no powder} because both soups & shakes, act as a meal & beverage, when utility accessibility might be an issue.

As for the virus, I only've 1 freezer for 3 people & thus we're consuming those foods, as usual but I've bought nonperishable foods: bean & corn cans instead of frozen, as stock for this. We've also been ordering via Domino's & others because due to my disability worsening I've been unable to globe trot to various grocery stores to search them, even for reasonable substitutions & my order via Walmart Grocery was outta stock of too much, by the time they did the shopping for me to deliver.
  • TwitchyMacGee
    Options
    Vikka_V wrote: »
    I don't need anything, but feel the constant urge to go surveil the stores. I've held back - until last night when I checked out the closest Walmart.

I checked out the rations, pasta and TP - none on the shelves (but I did see TP in a few peoples carts, which was promising. Decent supply of frozen and canned veggies, bread was scarce and all the frozen pizzas gone!

I walked out with my $6 bunch of carnations only...felt compelled to buy my flowers - luxury item, but they visually brighten my mood. They are yellow and orange, and compact like buds "spring-ish!"
    I’m glad you bought the flowers 🌺
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I don't need anything, but feel the constant urge to go surveil the stores. I've held back - until last night when I checked out the closest Walmart.

I checked out the rations, pasta and TP - none on the shelves (but I did see TP in a few peoples carts, which was promising. Decent supply of frozen and canned veggies, bread was scarce and all the frozen pizzas gone!

I walked out with my $6 bunch of carnations only...felt compelled to buy my flowers - luxury item, but they visually brighten my mood. They are yellow and orange, and compact like buds "spring-ish!"

Ill show you later!
    ...and my sympathy flowers have bloomed - I feel a little proud -I'll show you
  • TwitchyMacGee
    Options

Ill show you later!
    ...and my sympathy flowers have bloomed - I feel a little proud -I'll show you
    Please do!
  • magicfoodfluff
    magicfoodfluff Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I never shop with a list. I'm pretty much an impulsive food shopper (not sure if some of that has to do with my ADHD).

Luckily my one surrounding area has a lot of various grocery stores & I found that Weis & Grocery Outlet were the most stocked. Walmart was the most picked over, but they still had a decent amount of food. I now have a decent stockpile of frozen chicken strips, pizza, veggies that I've bought over the past few months, & various snacks.

The best stocked was the near expiration store that's run by the Amish. If this store wasn't so far out of the way I would go more often.
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Went shopping early this a.m. and couldn't believe the empty shelves. No paper products, no bread, I don't get the hoarding thing. I did grab one of the last bags of flour.....and some good beer. We're all set now. ;)