When to use kettlebells in weight loss

Hi everyone,

Newbie here so apologies if my question appears simplified.

I have been steadily losing weight (2.5 stone)by following eating plan and using walking or wii fit.

I do have kettlebells and have been reluctant to use until I lose more weight(been my mindset!!) I have probably 3-4 stone to go. Think always thought muscle would hinder the number on the scale if I am being honest.

Thank you for your help

Replies

• CealFool
    CealFool Posts: 9 Member
    The short answer? Whenever you feel comfortable using them.

The longer answer? I wouldn't be too afraid of adding muscle. You might see a temporary gain on the scale from your body getting used to the new exercise and retaining some water, but muscle is only going to help you, long term, for losing weight and keeping it off because it's more metabolically active. But the fact of the matter is that actually gaining muscle mass takes active work. By using the kettlebells, you'll be helping preserve the muscle mass you already possess, which I promise you, you do want long term.

Congratulations on your 2.5 stone weight loss and whatever you decide, keep at it!
  • mancuniangirl74
    mancuniangirl74 Posts: 4 Member
    Thanks a lot for your help

Look to start and follow a programme and combine and become less fixated on number on a scale(easier said than done).
  • CealFool
    CealFool Posts: 9 Member
    Honestly, if you're a little fixated on the scale, try following the NSV thread under the Success Stories board. Sometimes that's exactly what I need to remind me about all the other changes happening in my body.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Strength training will help you retain muscle while losing fat. Otherwise you will lose both muscle and fat. I strength trained fro day 1 of my 150 lb loss. It doesn’t have to be kettlebells, but they’re a great tool.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    In the words of Nike - Just Do It. Not sure where you are but given the entire world is likely to have to go into lockdown of some sort at some point, probably for around 3 months, maybe take those three months as a long term project. Dial back on checking the scale every day, dial up on good nutrition (as much as you can in the face of all these ghastly panic buyers) and dial up on your physical training. I already told my personal trainer he won't recognise me at the end of this - in a good way (apart from the long grey hair through lack of hairdressers!)