Need help understanding this.

Options
I have questions I hope someone can answer these for me they've been bugging me.

1. Does mfp use net calorie burn for there activity calculator or gross? If it’s gross can someone please post a website that has net values if you know of one?
2. I am male 280 pounds trying to lose at a rate of 1.5 pounds a week and when I do that mfp gives me 2120 calories to eat but online calculators give me 2700-2750 total calories to maintain at sedentary. So 2750 - 750 is 1950 not 2120 so why is mfp giving me more calories the. It should?

Any input would be great thank you in advance.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Try using the numbers than MFP gives you for a month and see if you are getting the results you expect. I eat back all the calories that MFP calculates for my exercise and that works for me. Some people eat 50% or 75% to be cautious. If you don't have enough energy to do your workouts or if you are losing weight too fast, then eat a bit more.

Calorie burn depends partly on the exercise. Walking and running are simple math and easy to calculate. Exercises that depend on intensity (i.e. calisthenics, aerobics, or yoga) can vary according to the exercise and how hard they are really working and how fit they are.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,637 Member
    Options
    Because some sedentary estimators estimate sedentary as an activity factor of 1.2 BMR while others estimate it as an activity factor of 1.25 BMR.

MFP is currently estimating sedentary at 1.25 BMR

This has nothing to do with net and gross calories as NEITHER estimator is including any appreciable activity when choosing this type of setting.

On MFP you would be expected to ADD your exercise (or other substantial activity that is not included in your selected activity setting) separately. This WOULD bring up the issue of net and gross burn and in reality MFP would be using gross burns which is why you often hear the advice about only eating back a portion of your exercise calories especially when it comes to longer and lower multiplier value activities.

HOWEVER, this does not apply to activity trackers where the "exercise adjustment" represents a TDEE adjustment based on all of your daily activities and does not represent the value of a particular exercise.

Apple --> MFP integration currently seems to have errors (and so does Samsung based on a couple of posts). These can be circumvented by synchronizing via an intermediary app. An app called Pacer has been proposed and seems to work, I am sure others would be able to do the same. Fitbit integration has its own occasional issues but under normal circumstances calculates your TDEE correctly. As does Garmin AFAIK.

As a data point activity DEFINITELY matters and can substantially change your caloric values. If you are consistently averaging more than 5000 steps a day it is extremely unlikely that you're actually sedentary. Most people start moving out of sedentary once they exceed about 3500 steps with very few people burning calories consistent to being labelled sedentary when moving around more than 5K steps a day. Of course the quality/speed of the steps matters... moving around the house is different from walking uphill on sand :wink:
  • nasr25
    nasr25 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the help.