Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Am I broken? or Did I reset?

mrmota70mrmota70 Posts: 12Member, Premium Member Posts: 12Member, Premium Member
Hello all folks. 49yrs old father of 2 girls and happily married for 26 years to love of my life...

Chapter 2 of my life started on Dec 21st 2019 being rushed to the hospital by my wife. As soon as she got home I started arguing with wife and told her run to the CVS and get an oximeter if you think I'm not well. My oxygen level was 35. Yes that is not a mistake. I apparently had blue lips and was breathing like a fish out of water according to her. Getting home after Christmas shopping she saw how I looked. After checking she got on phone with my Dr's nurse. When she told her the oxygen reading she told wife you did it wrong and she replied with "I checked all fingers on both hands". It was like the audio scene from "Christmas Story" when Ralphie's mom tells Shwartz's mom that Ralphie learned the "F$#%" word from her kid... I clearly heard the nurse say "that is not good call 911 right now!" Got to ER was rushed in and attempts to get oxygen in me were made with no initial success. As soon as I believe they slapped the bi-pap to expand my lungs they managed to get oxygen in me and body said its sleepy time. I passed out and woke up almost 7 hours later after being unresponsive. Intubation was very close... Pneumonia in both lungs was diagnoses. Fast fwd spending XMas and finally going home on Dec. 27th and during this period is where my break/reset happened. During the hospital stay I literally had 4 meals. Was it because I felt ill maybe, but more that I just didn't crave a single thing. I finally ate to make sure I wasn't kept in the hospital any longer than was needed. I had tuna sandwiches(delicious ones I'm planning on stopping by one day and making sure it wasn't a fluke that I enjoyed them so much), a bagel, and tried one of those little mini sandwiches from subway. Now let me set the stage for my reset/reboot. I knew I was well above 400lb. I found out at my 3 month follow up from Pneumonia with my family physician that on the 19th of Dec when I had stopped and diagnosed with a mild temp that I was at 427lb. I must have already been out of it 2 days prior to landing in the hospital since I hadn't remembered I had gotten weighed. I wanted to know where I was when I was about to be discharged so insisted on being weighed. I was at 408. Figured I had lost a few lbs that week which apparently I did. I had 0.0 cravings. Well that tuna sandwich was likely still #1. I got to that top weight by the usual suspects. Work, bad food, quantities, little exercise, eating late and snacking poorly.

As soon as I got home I had several things I put on my NO list. No alcohol, high processed, high sugar, fried, diet sodas, no eating after 7 and initially I even put a moratorium on red meat. I wasn't planning on giving it up just didn't feel like I needed it initially. Also I didn't see myself giving up all non-plant protein. Let me make clear I wasn't put on this track by Dr's, wife, kids or anyone. Dr's were concerned with my recovery from pneumonia. It was I who decided that the party was over. Granted being close to the edge as I got and thinking of my wife and kids its a motivator to stick around and make them miserable for the next 40 years... Wife and I joined the gym on 1/15 our 26th anniversary. I was cleared to start physical activity on 1/13 by the Dr. After starting gym and Dr. seeing that I had started dropping some lbs he suggested I see see a nutritionist just to have a sanity check about what I had started. Only thing the nutritionist mentioned was to consider plain yogurt. She made a point to say if all folks came in with my self control it would make her job so easy. I was eating Activia by the way. The main reason I was eating yogurt was because some of the antibiotics I was still on a few weeks after the hospital stay. I never was a fan of yogurt, but now fat free Chobani with some fresh fruit for my breakfast is a must several times a week. Why because I enjoy the "F%^$" out of it... I jumped on Myfitnesspal app back in late Jan and haven't missed a day of tracking. I think knowing what I'm doing to document my journey has been a real positive. I sometimes plan breakfast and lunch before taking one bite and I guess its nice to know what I'll be eating and not be stuck deciding at last second and making a poor choice because I'm rushing to get back to the office or whatever other reason.

So fast-fwd to today. Knowingly and without any starvation and I'd say satisfaction I eat roughly 1500 calories daily sometimes a little more sometimes a little less. With wife now and sometimes the 13 year old we have been religiously at the gym on Mon, Weds, Fri, and Sat. I started off with 30 mins treadmill and have increased to 60 mins with increasing machines elevation as the weeks went by. I'm still keeping it easy by most folks standards, but definitively getting a work out. It may be just walking, but I usually out walk most people younger and lighter than I have seen so I take that as my personal win when I was at the gym. Another thing I've been doing with a few co-workers is to park at the farthest point in the parking lot. It's .25 mile until my desk. So I was at least getting .5 miles from just going to work Mon-Fri. This was increased if we go get a coffee or go to lunch on 2 days out of the week we allow ourselves to indulge in. With what has been going on with Covid-19 I knew gym closures was inevitable and work walks would not be possible. Last Monday I woke up early and read reviews and found a treadmill that could handle my weight and families needs. We've had an elliptical for years that had gotten little use. Recently my brother in law gifted us they're no longer needed stretch station. So in our living room, behind our couch and in front of the TV we have our in home gym. Gym's were closed up a few days after we set up our gym. We have changed up workouts. We now do 30 mins on treadmill and 20 mins on the elliptical Mon-Sat. On week 2 of new workout and all is well for wife and I. Its been a help for cabin fever. The convenience is great. Again am I hungry and starving no not at all. I introduced red meat back in, but in limited amounts. I don't deny myself anything. I just eliminated things I don't see as nutritionally needed so satisfaction for me is no longer there. I indulge on occasion. I've had ice cream usually a 3.5 oz serving, an individual size candy, a bag of skinny pop etc. Oh I only drink water usually at least 54 oz daily and some days I'll drink a tall Americano with a shot of half and half. I eat alot of salads with chicken, red meat, tuna, 1 egg omelettes, yogurt, and other meals just in smaller portions and between 8AM and 7PM. Tracking with myfitnesspal and all these other things I've been doing and staying roughly in the 1500 cal range I am today at a stout 345. Apparently from articles I've read to try and find cases similar to mine. or info. on nutrition I unknowingly have been somewhat following a bariatric diet. By the way I hate that word. Diet I've always connected with attempts by myself and others as forcing yourself to get to some set goal. Usually ends before the goal is achieved. I completely feel I did a reset during my bout with pneumonia and I'm in the early stages of my new life style. I'm planning on doing a follow up with nutritionist and likely another family physician visit after we get through this covid mess. Partly I'm putting this down in print as part of my therapy during this period.

Hope that you all stay safe during this time and look forward to many more years of being part of this community. By the way I'm all in. I paid for the full app and see it as integral part of my life style change. Also I bought a scale the weekend after I got released from the hospital. It had a max weight of 400lb so for the 1st week I could not get a reading. It was the during the first week of Jan. that I went under 400lb. So much more I could add and all the other things I've read and shows I've watched. I know some folks will find it extreme from my lifestyle shift to the weight loss. However it had to be done and I guess for now I'll continue, but definitely check in with the professionals to make sure I'm not doing anything detrimental to my health and well being. Thank you all in advance for your replies and criticisms. I take it all as things to think about. Every bit counts for me....

Replies

  • ninerbuffninerbuff Posts: 42,838Member, Greeter Member Posts: 42,838Member, Greeter Member
    I have a daily check in thread if you care to join. In it I post what I do each day and also give PROFESSISONAL advice since I've been a PT and Group Fitness trainer for over 25+ years. I specialize in rehab from injury or surgery and weight loss for obese people.

    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/331789/tlfc-exercise-and-accountability-support/p1

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png
  • janstewart62janstewart62 Posts: 57Member Member Posts: 57Member Member
    Great Job !!
  • mrmota70mrmota70 Posts: 12Member, Premium Member Posts: 12Member, Premium Member
    Yeah
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I have a daily check in thread if you care to join. In it I post what I do each day and also give PROFESSISONAL advice since I've been a PT and Group Fitness trainer for over 25+ years. I specialize in rehab from injury or surgery and weight loss for obese people.

    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/331789/tlfc-exercise-and-accountability-support/p1

    A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

    9285851.png

    Will look into joining. Thanks
  • mrmota70mrmota70 Posts: 12Member, Premium Member Posts: 12Member, Premium Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    I think very few people are capable of doing a major overhaul like yours 'overnight' without it backfiring. Most people need to ease into things, making gradual changes to make a durable lifestyle change. Just goes to show how everyone is different, we all need to find what works for us.

    I have two concerns:
    - One concern is how few calories you are eating. I weigh 175lbs, I eat 1800-1900 calories a day and I'm still losing weight. So if you're at 345lbs and eating 1500 calories (and logging correctly) that sounds like quite a steep deficit. How many lbs are you losing per week at the moment? Losing weight too quickly carries risks (although heavier people generally can lose more weight per week safely than people who have little left to lose).
    - Are you checking your macronutrients? I don't see many healthy fats in your diet (based on your post) and an adequate amount of protein is important too (but that seems to be okay based on your post).

    Otherwise, it seems like your doing great! Impressive :smile:

    Thanks, Definitely getting macros in my food choices. Yeah I've been thinking about how I need to increase calories to slow down when I'm at a lower weight. One of the reasons I made sure the Dr and the nutritionist were Ok with what I had started since I saw the weight coming off. I was always a big kid and in my early 20s I did this previously however I never seemed to be comfortable with the smaller me. Went from 315 to 175. I use to run and actually never had owned a vehicle. I biked everywhere. I use to run 5 and 10ks and bike 50 miles a few times a week. I have my medium-xl shirts of all my runs still in my closet. I met my wife who had a car and well "bliss"? set in and after some injuries I started my slide. I definitively will be checking in with the Dr and nutritionist in the next month.
  • mrmota70mrmota70 Posts: 12Member, Premium Member Posts: 12Member, Premium Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    If I read it all right since Jan 1 you have been losing around 4.5 pounds per week which is highly aggressive. The problem is that the faster you go the more muscle you are at risk of losing. You want to get that rate down so you can preserve as much muscle as possible until you can start strength training. You also want to slow it down to help minimize the loose skin situation.

    At 345 your rate of loss should really not be more than 3 pounds a week and even that is not as advisable unless you are getting regular check-ups by your doctor. That would put you eating 2250 each day.

    If this is a lifestyle it needs to be sensible and sustainable. Maintaining minimal nutrition at 1500 is questionable on how sensible it is since it could create other health problems.

    If I made an error let me know.

    Your spot on. I want to check in with the Dr. and nutritionist and give them a report. Being as big as I was I figure they didn't see an issue with dropping off a good amount of weight considering that I had just been hospitalized with Pneumonia. However I think typically folks see some results and start back into old habits. They likely thought I would do the same. I'm barely starting this new life style. If I can stick with it for a year I know it will be set in stone. However I am finding it hard not because of the seeing the calories in a day, but because the fact what I'm eating is keeping me going and satisfied. I've definitely increased protein to deal with muscle loss. I have plenty and then some fat to loose. What muscle is under there I am trying to make sure its getting fed well. Since I have been using the app I'll share the info. with them and see if they need me to change anything up. Its weird most people think big folks(like me) are just sitting in a closet with a fried pork chop dipping it in sugar mayo. Even prior to this I never have been the stereo typical fat guy. Yes hypertensive, but not extreme. And yes pre-diabetic but again not close to be considered diabetic. My A1C and fasting were on the pre-diabetic area. A1C 5.8-6.1 and fasting on annuals in the 100-103 range. However I checked my sugar regularly over the years. Wife was gestational, had kidney stones had lythotripsy, runs in her family so all that converged to full blown diabetes 5 years after our 1st kid was born. So I've had access to glucose meter for the last 15 years. Since late Jan once I was off the steroids my fasting is not higher than 91. Meal check were never an issue and of course have improved. She has also lost some weight and has actually had to have her insulin be revamped. They had her cut back and are looking at completely revamping her usual doses. I will update once I see them in a few weeks hopefully. Hope things are a little more normal by then... Thanks for the input...
  • mrmota70mrmota70 Posts: 12Member, Premium Member Posts: 12Member, Premium Member
    Great Job !!

    Thanks still trying to figure it out...
  • mrmota70mrmota70 Posts: 12Member, Premium Member Posts: 12Member, Premium Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    mrmota70 wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    If I read it all right since Jan 1 you have been losing around 4.5 pounds per week which is highly aggressive. The problem is that the faster you go the more muscle you are at risk of losing. You want to get that rate down so you can preserve as much muscle as possible until you can start strength training. You also want to slow it down to help minimize the loose skin situation.

    At 345 your rate of loss should really not be more than 3 pounds a week and even that is not as advisable unless you are getting regular check-ups by your doctor. That would put you eating 2250 each day.

    If this is a lifestyle it needs to be sensible and sustainable. Maintaining minimal nutrition at 1500 is questionable on how sensible it is since it could create other health problems.

    If I made an error let me know.

    Your spot on. I want to check in with the Dr. and nutritionist and give them a report. Being as big as I was I figure they didn't see an issue with dropping off a good amount of weight considering that I had just been hospitalized with Pneumonia. However I think typically folks see some results and start back into old habits. They likely thought I would do the same. I'm barely starting this new life style. If I can stick with it for a year I know it will be set in stone. However I am finding it hard not because of the seeing the calories in a day, but because the fact what I'm eating is keeping me going and satisfied. I've definitely increased protein to deal with muscle loss. I have plenty and then some fat to loose. What muscle is under there I am trying to make sure its getting fed well. Since I have been using the app I'll share the info. with them and see if they need me to change anything up. Its weird most people think big folks(like me) are just sitting in a closet with a fried pork chop dipping it in sugar mayo. Even prior to this I never have been the stereo typical fat guy. Yes hypertensive, but not extreme. And yes pre-diabetic but again not close to be considered diabetic. My A1C and fasting were on the pre-diabetic area. A1C 5.8-6.1 and fasting on annuals in the 100-103 range. However I checked my sugar regularly over the years. Wife was gestational, had kidney stones had lythotripsy, runs in her family so all that converged to full blown diabetes 5 years after our 1st kid was born. So I've had access to glucose meter for the last 15 years. Since late Jan once I was off the steroids my fasting is not higher than 91. Meal check were never an issue and of course have improved. She has also lost some weight and has actually had to have her insulin be revamped. They had her cut back and are looking at completely revamping her usual doses. I will update once I see them in a few weeks hopefully. Hope things are a little more normal by then... Thanks for the input...

    I was not the stereotypical fat guy either and I started with more weight to lose than you. I was only mildly hypertensive. I have reactive hypoglycemia so I am on the opposite spectrum from diabetes at the moment.

    It did not take me a year for this to all cement. It happened around the 6 month mark. I do not know exactly because at some point I went from "will I?" to "yep this is happening" and it was around that time. I made all my changes over time though. You had a health scare which seems to have made your inner child grow up a bit. It took a little work to get mine to grow up... at least with the alcohol portion of the program.

    Here is my 1 year thread:

    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10731694/after-a-year-over-150lbs-lost-learned-a-few-things/p1

    I am overdue to create my second year thread.

    You cannot protect your muscle with more protein if you are losing too aggressively. There is a limit to how much fat your body will metabolize in a day. Once you hit that limit your body will turn to lean body mass for energy. No one knows what that limit would be for you specifically but the general recommendation is not to lose more than 1 percent per week. At most that would be 3.4 pounds this week for you.

    I always stayed just under the 1 percent rule. I ate well more than I needed on protein and I am still in pretty bad shape on muscles. I am working to correct it. I should have been doing strength training sooner but I had a physical limitation that has been corrected but I let it keep me from doing more.

    Doctors do not have much training on nutrition or weight loss. They will recommend or sign off on plans that are not always great. Also, to your point most are so accustomed to patient failure, especially in larger patients, they are for any results no matter what and hope that at least that much is maintained. Mine routinely says that he has never had a patient like me to lose as much as I have without weight loss surgery. I have had other medical professionals say the same thing. That is not a source of pride for me it is a source of sadness that more people do not accomplish what this has done for me.

    Thanks for the great info. In earnest I had never really attempted to get back into any sort of proper shape. Just as the years went on the lbs on and the easier it was to jump on the couch and do little to nothing regarding any exercise. I'm sure turtles walked by laughing at me.. I'm not entirely sure I was scared, but it was a definite flipped switch for me that the party had been going on long enough and I needed to do something if I was going to continue to be around and not continue to a state of eventual misery. I don't blame anyone but myself. Understand about Dr's and agree. I'll definitely be seeking a more refined guidance from a nutritionist. I had planned on adding some strength training, but that's been put on hold until were over this covid fiasco. Having the trauma to my lungs was a big factor on starting the exercise and specifically doing cardio. It has helped to get me back in a much better state of body and mind. All the other changes I started seem natural into what I started in January. I will continue and modify for this to be the best way I can do this. Will I have set backs most definite. Will I magically be a beacon of health definitely not. I know I'll suffer effects of letting things go to long and weight loss will have effects that I know I'll have to deal with. But I have come to terms that this isn't going to be all roses. Read your links great read. Congats and wish you continued success. Stay healthy during this time...
  • NovusDiesNovusDies Posts: 7,029Member, Premium Member Posts: 7,029Member, Premium Member
    mrmota70 wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    mrmota70 wrote: »
    NovusDies wrote: »
    If I read it all right since Jan 1 you have been losing around 4.5 pounds per week which is highly aggressive. The problem is that the faster you go the more muscle you are at risk of losing. You want to get that rate down so you can preserve as much muscle as possible until you can start strength training. You also want to slow it down to help minimize the loose skin situation.

    At 345 your rate of loss should really not be more than 3 pounds a week and even that is not as advisable unless you are getting regular check-ups by your doctor. That would put you eating 2250 each day.

    If this is a lifestyle it needs to be sensible and sustainable. Maintaining minimal nutrition at 1500 is questionable on how sensible it is since it could create other health problems.

    If I made an error let me know.

    Your spot on. I want to check in with the Dr. and nutritionist and give them a report. Being as big as I was I figure they didn't see an issue with dropping off a good amount of weight considering that I had just been hospitalized with Pneumonia. However I think typically folks see some results and start back into old habits. They likely thought I would do the same. I'm barely starting this new life style. If I can stick with it for a year I know it will be set in stone. However I am finding it hard not because of the seeing the calories in a day, but because the fact what I'm eating is keeping me going and satisfied. I've definitely increased protein to deal with muscle loss. I have plenty and then some fat to loose. What muscle is under there I am trying to make sure its getting fed well. Since I have been using the app I'll share the info. with them and see if they need me to change anything up. Its weird most people think big folks(like me) are just sitting in a closet with a fried pork chop dipping it in sugar mayo. Even prior to this I never have been the stereo typical fat guy. Yes hypertensive, but not extreme. And yes pre-diabetic but again not close to be considered diabetic. My A1C and fasting were on the pre-diabetic area. A1C 5.8-6.1 and fasting on annuals in the 100-103 range. However I checked my sugar regularly over the years. Wife was gestational, had kidney stones had lythotripsy, runs in her family so all that converged to full blown diabetes 5 years after our 1st kid was born. So I've had access to glucose meter for the last 15 years. Since late Jan once I was off the steroids my fasting is not higher than 91. Meal check were never an issue and of course have improved. She has also lost some weight and has actually had to have her insulin be revamped. They had her cut back and are looking at completely revamping her usual doses. I will update once I see them in a few weeks hopefully. Hope things are a little more normal by then... Thanks for the input...

    I was not the stereotypical fat guy either and I started with more weight to lose than you. I was only mildly hypertensive. I have reactive hypoglycemia so I am on the opposite spectrum from diabetes at the moment.

    It did not take me a year for this to all cement. It happened around the 6 month mark. I do not know exactly because at some point I went from "will I?" to "yep this is happening" and it was around that time. I made all my changes over time though. You had a health scare which seems to have made your inner child grow up a bit. It took a little work to get mine to grow up... at least with the alcohol portion of the program.

    Here is my 1 year thread:

    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10731694/after-a-year-over-150lbs-lost-learned-a-few-things/p1

    I am overdue to create my second year thread.

    You cannot protect your muscle with more protein if you are losing too aggressively. There is a limit to how much fat your body will metabolize in a day. Once you hit that limit your body will turn to lean body mass for energy. No one knows what that limit would be for you specifically but the general recommendation is not to lose more than 1 percent per week. At most that would be 3.4 pounds this week for you.

    I always stayed just under the 1 percent rule. I ate well more than I needed on protein and I am still in pretty bad shape on muscles. I am working to correct it. I should have been doing strength training sooner but I had a physical limitation that has been corrected but I let it keep me from doing more.

    Doctors do not have much training on nutrition or weight loss. They will recommend or sign off on plans that are not always great. Also, to your point most are so accustomed to patient failure, especially in larger patients, they are for any results no matter what and hope that at least that much is maintained. Mine routinely says that he has never had a patient like me to lose as much as I have without weight loss surgery. I have had other medical professionals say the same thing. That is not a source of pride for me it is a source of sadness that more people do not accomplish what this has done for me.

    Thanks for the great info. In earnest I had never really attempted to get back into any sort of proper shape. Just as the years went on the lbs on and the easier it was to jump on the couch and do little to nothing regarding any exercise. I'm sure turtles walked by laughing at me.. I'm not entirely sure I was scared, but it was a definite flipped switch for me that the party had been going on long enough and I needed to do something if I was going to continue to be around and not continue to a state of eventual misery. I don't blame anyone but myself. Understand about Dr's and agree. I'll definitely be seeking a more refined guidance from a nutritionist. I had planned on adding some strength training, but that's been put on hold until were over this covid fiasco. Having the trauma to my lungs was a big factor on starting the exercise and specifically doing cardio. It has helped to get me back in a much better state of body and mind. All the other changes I started seem natural into what I started in January. I will continue and modify for this to be the best way I can do this. Will I have set backs most definite. Will I magically be a beacon of health definitely not. I know I'll suffer effects of letting things go to long and weight loss will have effects that I know I'll have to deal with. But I have come to terms that this isn't going to be all roses. Read your links great read. Congats and wish you continued success. Stay healthy during this time...

    Having a vague goal can be kind of helpful. Just march into it and see where it takes you. I like to say that my goal is to get healthier and more fit and each day I do something that promotes that agenda I have accomplished my goal and I start again the next day. I am probably 25ish pounds from some sort of goal weight but I have no set number in mind. I am doing cardio, walking, physio therapy, and as much strength training as I can in the absence of a gym and knowledge. I am not sure what level of fitness I can accomplish but I am sure I can be better than I am now.

    You are saying nutritionist but for nutrition advice you need a registered dietitian. The title of nutritionist is not well regulated so you can get told all kinds of wrong from one. There can be good and bad registered dietitians but it is regulated so you stand a better chance of quality information.

  • mrmota70mrmota70 Posts: 12Member, Premium Member Posts: 12Member, Premium Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

    Having a vague goal can be kind of helpful. Just march into it and see where it takes you. I like to say that my goal is to get healthier and more fit and each day I do something that promotes that agenda I have accomplished my goal and I start again the next day. I am probably 25ish pounds from some sort of goal weight but I have no set number in mind. I am doing cardio, walking, physio therapy, and as much strength training as I can in the absence of a gym and knowledge. I am not sure what level of fitness I can accomplish but I am sure I can be better than I am now.

    You are saying nutritionist but for nutrition advice you need a registered dietitian. The title of nutritionist is not well regulated so you can get told all kinds of wrong from one. There can be good and bad registered dietitians but it is regulated so you stand a better chance of quality information.

    Yes yes.. Thank you for the correction.. I did see a registered dietitian and that's who I plan to follow up with. Correct I haven't set any weight goal. My Dr. asked and I replied I'm really looking to improve health. Being less heavy than where I've been in itself is healthier state. I just need to make sure I don't make any major mistakes. I know I'll make some just need help. So again appreciate your response.

Sign In or Register to comment.