Cardio in a time of COVID.

Options
2»

Replies

• miss211lbs
    miss211lbs Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hey if you are interested, i just started using the Fit On app and have also created a Facebook group "Fit On users unite" to support me and hopefully others who use this app. I am looking for members to start the April challenge with me or to do any if the workouts that appeal to you. Please check it out. It's free
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    I had a good ski day yesterday. It was raining and snowing, that's what clothes are for. 🙂
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I would look for a high intensity workout video on youtube. You will still be huffing and sweating.
  • mike_bold
    mike_bold Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I jump rope in the garage for 20 mins.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    My fairer weather roadie friends have been on their bicycle trainers all winter (when they haven't been skiing)... A pricier option, but an option if you have a bike. The non-fair-weather-only people will still be riding outdoors (just not in groups), so those probably didn't have such a large jump in sales and might still be available.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Actually FREEZING is good because you have to use more energy to keep the body warm. When I lived in VA, I just bundled up and bought clothes that were rain resistant. Buckle up. Just do it outside.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Not entirely accurate, if you're dressed properly for the weather (typically for running you'll dress as if it's 10 degrees warmer than it actually is) it takes very little additional energy to stay warm.

OP I run all year 'round and it gets down to -10C on occasion in the winter. With the right layering you can be comfortable at pretty much any temperature and it's better to feel a little cool at the start of a run to avoid over heating. Everyone's cold tolerance is different do it may take a little trial and error to get it right. I can honestly say, however, that I'd rather run in our cold than in the damp weather you have in PNW.

Yup. Just layer up. I have run(Manitoban here) in -40C(same in F) as long as their is no wind. My fave is about -5C actually. Get good and warm but not soaked sweaty. Just layer up good; nice thin layers that you can open and close or remove and replace, etc. Leg warmers are nice, rain gear if it is actively falling, thin gloves you can stuff in a pocket, if it is any cooler than -5C I always have a scarf even if it is just tied around my waist, if I turn around and hit wind /sharp snowflakes I wrap up my face. Have fun! Once my kids were old enough to leave for short timeframes the treadmill was sold and out I went! More relaxing and less brain numbing than the treadmill.