Lockdown life living alone

threewins
threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
edited March 2020 in Chit-Chat
If you are living on your own (like me) and under lockdown let's have a chat about how things are going for us.

Replies

• threewins
    threewins Posts: 1,455 Member
    Plans for today: tidying my room, making a shopping list, spend some time on YouTube listening to music (always improves my mood), Skype my long distance girlfriend (I probably won't see her until the vaccine is made), go through a big bag of receipts which need to be sorted.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    I have lots of little goals
    Daily to do list
    Get dressed
    1 workout per day, even if just 5 mins (usually an hour, but I've used the "just 5" for sure)
    Go outside, even if just patio for 5 (usually an hour walk, but I've used the "just 5" for sure)
    Clean or organize for at least 10mins
    Eating window max 8 hours a day (IF 16/8)
    Back to calorie counting relaxed goal
    Limit Facebook to 1 hour/day max (the app has a timer)
    Limit news to 1 hour/day max (hard to estimate time, but limited anyway)
    Eat at least 1 fruit and 1 veggie
    Limit alcohol to max 7 drinks/week (Haven't had any so far this week. Had a great NA IPA yesterday)
    Chat with at least one friend
    Learn ya something (usually spanish for an hour so far)
    Start meditation practice, min of 1 min (5 minutes so far)
    Practice patience when this goes out the window sometimes

General to do list
    Decorate
    Build home gym (treadmill! Hopefully I can get weights on Tuesday when they restock)
    Organize spare room
    Organize clothes
    Post-apoc costuming and jewelry l
    Practice Spanish and Mandarin
    Virtual tours of museums, parks etc
    Dancing!
    Virtual game night
    Give blood once 28 days are up
    Train cat
    Volunteer

To have a little structure, and feel like I'm accomplishing something, has really helped me keep the blahs away. It has also improved my spanish! I think I get to start helping my company design 3d printed face masks (or parts for them?) today! I was sick, and when I got better I was still eating and drinking too much. It has helped to regain control and do positive things for myself. Bought a treadmill and set it up yesterday! Hopefully weights on Tuesday. So many soups and salads and veggies :). Self care helps.

I tried the "Eff it, its the apocalypse", but... it didn't really make me feel better
  • SouthernGal89
    SouthernGal89 Posts: 8 Member
    I'm not living alone anymore, but when I divorced in 2003, I lived alone and by myself for many many years (about 12). I'm 49 now. I've been through three states of emergency in my lifetime. The first was when I was 23--no access to running water, electricity, phone for 10 solid days. Only a wood burning stove for heat and meals. Flushed the toilet with water from a lake, and used coolers outdoors to keep food cold.

You've got to find solitude and peace in being by yourself. Think of things you always wanted to do, get on the internet, research (if you need to) and do them. Learn how to make a new recipe. Learn how to do those "guy" things (plumbing, changing the oil in your car or a car tire by yourself) clean nooks and crannies that are always forgotten (light fixtures for example), redecorate or plan a renovation on a room (for me this was the kitchen and bathrooms), take a walk outdoors, facetime with friends.

Little things you always meant to do at home but never had "time" for. Go do those.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,526 Member
    I'm hanging in there but I've been pretty restless not getting out of the house! I basically start the day first watching the news for a short time to get updated, then march in place/dance while coming on here and Facebook while drinking my coffee. Put dishes away then eat a late breakfast (my microwave broke so I have to reheat all the stuff I prep on the stove or in the oven), do dance and workout videos on You Tube (really miss the gym!), eat a late lunch, declutter/organize- just put all the grains and dried beans/legumes in labeled jars and re-organized the pantry, shower and clean the litterbox and feed cats, answer any emails, read, make dinner, do dishes, catch up online and watch TV, read in bed, recycle and repeat. If I'm lucky I talk to someone on the phone vs. texting. I've also been looking up recipes for things I have on hand but since I'm only cooking for one I have more recipes than I know what to do with at this point. I realized today the main reason I was going to the store was to get out so I decided to tough it out until next week instead of risking it. I'm doing my best to focus on what I can control since I can't do anything but what I'm currently doing about the situation.