MFP is ignoring my stated goals

In the guided goals section, I tell it I want to lose 1kg a week.

I click continue, and it tells me instead that I will lose 0.6kg a week.

It also gives me calorie numbers for exercises. But this is an unknown number.

Until I do the exercises, how can it put a number in there?

It's making stuff up.

Replies

• norman_cates
    norman_cates Posts: 95 Member
    I set my calories per day to 1200. But then when I go back through the Guided Goals, it sets my calories to 1500.

How do I stop it doing that? For what ever reason, I appear to need to be able to set VERY low calories for myself.

Just let me do it!
  • norman_cates
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Because you're a male and the minimum for a sedentary male is 1500 calories. A male has no business eating like a toddler or small, sedentary and old female.
    And yet, that APPEARS to be the only way I can lose weight.
  • norman_cates
    If you are TOO CLOSE TO GOAL to lose 1KG per week safely, you will be set to the default lowest calorie setting - 1200 for women and 1500 for men.

How can I be too close to the goal? I'm 10kg (or more) away
  • norman_cates
    It's worked so far.

I don't ****** know. Neither does anyone else. Look, I am going to do my level best to log EVERYTHING that goes in my mouth for the next month of isolation. EVERYTHING. And see what happens.

But I guarantee that if I don't lose weight or god forbid gain weight that there will be a bunch of people jumping upo and down saying that I lied. Because they can't believe any paradigm that goes against the holy book of calories in, calories out.

I HOPE TO GOD I'm WRONG and that it is that simple. But when an entire industry can't agree and goes in so many different directions, then ulitmately we are on our own, and have to experiment our selves.
  • norman_cates
    Look, I wish I was stupid and could just believe everything anyone says. It would make life so much easier.
  • norman_cates
    Hooliekom wrote: »
    But I guarantee that if I don't lose weight or god forbid gain weight that there will be a bunch of people jumping upo and down saying that I lied. Because they can't believe any paradigm that goes against the holy book of calories in, calories out.

No-one will say that you 'lied', just that you were making errors in tracking the calories that you consumed. Because calories in/calories out isn't a holy book - it's science...

Apparently it's not, because many fitness people disagree with it. Just like they all have different things they think work. If this was a science, there would be broad agreement. There isn't.

• norman_cates

Because you're a male and the minimum for a sedentary male is 1500 calories. A male has no business eating like a toddler or small, sedentary and old female.
    And yet, that APPEARS to be the only way I can lose weight.

Have you actually tried going off of MFP's recommendations consistently for any period of time. Losing weight is hard...restricting calories is hard...the process is slow and there are weeks with little to no results...but when you do this consistently over time it works...but it requires patience. Losing weight isn't an overnight, snap your fingers kind of thing.

There are numerous people here, including myself who've had great success with this. I lost around 40 Lbs almost 7 years ago...the process was no picnic, and it took me about 8 months...but it worked as long as I committed. I've maintained that loss for going on 7 years in April...also not easy as it is much easier to just let things go back to the way they were.

Yes 4 years ago I did try what MFP recommended, along with a strenuous gym routine.

4 years ago I tracked (using scales) what I was eating and my exercise using Fitbit, over at least 4-5 months. And other times more sporadically.

NOTHING. No change. And MFP have lost my data off the website so I can't even point anyone at it to show what I was trying to do.

• norman_cates
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    -do you WEIGH everything that crosses your lips?
    -no taste-no sample-WEIGH IT AND LOG IT BEFORE it crosses your lips?
    -yes, in the beginning and until your get organized your food will grow cold and you will be salivating and wanting to skip a step. eat an apple (or carrot or cucumber or what have you) if you've waited too long to eat and are too hungry to function.

--Weigh YOURSELF, on a scale, at a consistent time, after consistent bathroom usage, before eating or drinking, and USE A WEIGHT TREND APP OR WEB SITE to determine your weight trend over time.

--be cognizant of sodium levels -- they affect water weight.
    --be cognizant of exercise -- it can affect water weight for muscle retention
    --if you are female be aware of hormonal water weight fluctuations
    --if you are a low carber, be aware of water weight fluctuations when reducing or increasing carbs

LOOK AT YOUR TREND with 3+ weeks of data.

ADJUST YOUR EXPECTATIONS. If you are a sedentary person with a TDEE of less than 2500, then yes, it is unreasonable that you're trying to create a deficit of more than 500 Cal. 500 Cal is already AT LEAST 25% of your total energy expenditure for the day.

You don't have to, but if you want to both eat more and lose faster... MOVE MORE. It is entirely optional and not a necessity.

What IS necessary is to set realistic AND REASONABLE expectations.
    IF you're 200kg, losing a kg or more a week is reasonable. If you're 80kg and sedentary, it isn't.

Logging has to be 110% before you can claim special snowflake status where reasonable rules no longer apply to you.

Could you be an outlier? Of course you could be. There are 7.5+ billion people on this planet. The whole of MFP could be outliers if every single outlier signed up!

On the other hand if someone told you that you had a 95% chance to succeed in something, you would take it as a given that you would succeed. So chances are pretty good you're not an egregiously outlying outlier.

4 years ago, I did that for 4-5 months. With a strenuous gym routine.

Nothing. I got medical checks. Nothing.

I realize you don't have that information above. I have put it in other threads, and I forget I haven't put it in here.

I had that data in MFP. They have lost the data from the website. It appears to still be in my phone. They seem to be incompetent to get the data across.
  • norman_cates
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I will add that there is a really good chance you do not understand weight fluctuations on the bathroom scale. You may expect linear results and it is unlikely to happen that way for you. Many people make assessments on their capacity to lose based on insufficient data. I have done this myself many times in my past attempts to lose weight. As @PAV8888 mentioned 3 weeks is the minimum amount of time for a male to see a trend. I have found that 3 weeks is what I would call a rough draft where 6+ weeks tells a better story.

Read this:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

Yes I do. I know about weighing at the same time

I know it fluctuates.

I have years of data on my phone.