Quinoa

Options
Hello,
I just bought a bag of quinoa and I am excited to try it out! I got a 26 oz bag of organic whole grain quinoa for $7.95, is that a good deal? :)

What are some good recipes?

Determined to lose weight for a friend's wedding next June!

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    It depends on what type of meal I am cooking. I cook mine with chicken broth and saffron to replace yellow rice, chicken broth and garlic for vegetable dishes and cilantro and lime for other dishes. Basically, the same way I cook rice.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Make sure you rinse quinoa very well before cooking it.

I cook mine with vegetable broth and add in some chopped onion, garlic and some spices (or I mix in buffalo sauce with it). I use half rice, half quinoa in a lot of things. I add quinoa when I'm making granola. It's great cooked in broth with some finely chopped veggies... add a bit of olive oil and whatever spices you enjoy and you're good to go. It's great cold as well. It's also great as a replacement for oatmeal.
  • hnoelle85
    hnoelle85 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i love quinoa but every time i cook it for myself i do something wrong and it doesn't turn out right.

My favorite recipes with quinoa though are salads. My friend makes and amazing quinoa salad with mango, avacado and mint.
  • Kanuenue
    Kanuenue Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I do a fruit parfait with quinoa! I cook the quinoa according to package directions, adding ground spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon zest into the cooking water. Layer the quinoa in a bowl with greek yogurt, chopped fresh fruit, and nuts. Use a pretty sundae glass for a nice presentation. Enjoy!

P.s. you may need to add a bit of sweetener if you use plain yogurt, I like the tartness but my sister says this requires a bit of honey.
  • Shesaid_destroy
    Options
    Fruit parfait? Waouh! I've never had quinoa as a sugary dish, sounds great though.

It is not that difficult to cook. It is justlike couscous. Pour hot broth over it (with a little extra layer on the top) and let it soak in the broth and cook. If too crunchy, repeat with less broth. Enjoy!

I like quinoa mixed with pureed beans, it makes a delish veggie burger pattie!
  • LisaYon
    LisaYon Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    We found an amazing turkey meatloaf where quinoa is used in place of the bread crumbs! My whole family loves it! Even the kids!
  • ElsaVonMarmalade
    ElsaVonMarmalade Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Snack or breakfast: 1/2 cup cooked quinoa + 1 tbsp maple syrup + splash of half'n'half or milk + fresh fruit of your choice. Delicious and filling. Good warm or cold.
  • Mgregory723
    Mgregory723 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Bump for all the yummy recipes! (hopefully) :wink:
  • Morn66
    Morn66 Posts: 96
    Options
    I do all sorts of things with it. My current fave is to cook it in coconut milk and a bit vegetable broth plus a tablespoon or two of curry paste, red or green, whichever I have on hand. Then I mix in some stir-fried veggies, anything in the fridge that needs eating. So I end up with Thai-ish quinoa mixed with sometimes odd vegetables. But it tastes good!
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Add to soups

Replace rice or couscous with quinoa. Basically just add veggies and a light sauce.
  • fcevallos
    fcevallos Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Love having it in the mornings as an alternative to oatmeal. I make breakfast quinoa with milk, blueberries, maple syrup. YUM. Also love quinoa salads.
  • Cruxthemystic
    Cruxthemystic Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I cook mine in a rice cooker. Comes out perfect every time. I make a salad with it. Add feta cheese, chick peas, spinach, carrots, grape tomatoes, red bell pepper some olive oil and lime juice. I eat it for lunch a lot. I 've also used it as a hot cereal.