Exercising on an empty stomach?

Options
I've read different articles about this, some saying a small pre workout snack is good, fuels you, etc. And others saying to work out on an empty stomach so your body doesn't have so much fuel to work from that it doesn't start using fat as fuel. (Or along those lines anyway, you know what I mean!)

And I should say I don't mean working out having not eaten for 2 days, or you're so hungry you're in pain! I workout when I get up in the morning, and say if I get up at 7am and haven't eaten since 7.30pm the previous night, is it ok to work out on an empty stomach? I don't find that I get fatigued or lightheaded after/during my workout.. And I always make sure to refuel straight after!

Just wondering what works for you and has ether option helped/hindered your fat loss?

Replies

• No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    i've read things saying fasted cardio will help you burn more fat.

if it does, its marginal at best.

not worth being dizzy and what not.

I'd say do whatever allows you to do the most work as thats going make the best work out and probably greatest calorie burn.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Depends what kind of "workout". 30 minutes or less of moderate-intensity cardio should be fine on an empty stomach. For anything more vigorous, longer, or involving strength training, it's good to fuel up prior. It doesn't take much - a few ounces of juice or a piece of fruit, for example. Mostly carbs / sugar, since that's what your body lacks in the morning.

By the way, i know of no *long term* studies showing that exercising on an empty stomach burns more fat. Most studies i've seen lasted about 1 day.
  • M_miller0507
    M_miller0507 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Do what works for you. The differences will be minimal if they exist at all.

Personally, I can't work out if I've eaten recently. I work out first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. This includes half-marathons. If I try to eat before I run or lift I feel awful.

If you work out better with a little something ahead of time, then eat. If you feel better without anything, then don't. Do what you have to do to be successful.
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    I workout at 6am and have a banana before. I used to not eat anything for cardio, but the banana definitely helps with my strength training. Gives me just a little more energy.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Personally, I can do 90 to 110 laps ( 4 to 5km) on an empty stomach. But if I want to do more than that I have to eat a good breakfast 2 hours before swimming. That is why I save the long swims for the weekend.
    Early morning 5AM swim is 90 laps.

If I swim right after work, I will sometimes grab a Detour protein bar before I change to go to the Y.

Earlier on I would get dizzy from low blood sugar if I didn't eat enough before a second swim on a Saturday. But not anymore.

Everyone is different. Your body will tell you what works and what doesn't.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Some people can do it, some people can't.... I can't! But then I dont workout first thing in the morning, so it doesn't matter!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I run every morning on an empty stomach without any issues. This past Sunday, that "workout" was a 2 hour, 45 minute run. I had plenty of stored fuel in glycogen and fat.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    depleting you glyocgen stores by lifting before cardio is supposed to produce the same effect btw
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I lift and run fasted all the time. Always have my last meal at 9PM, workout at 5AM and I usually only eat my first meal at 1PM

Some people can workout fasted and others can't. Whatever works for you.
  • bobbystrongarm
    Options
    This will matter or duration and intensity of your training. While I don't discredit the research saying you'll lose more fat, personally the trade off is not worth it for me. I train hard and when I don't eat before I fall flat on my face. I can't run as far, lift as much, sustain as high of a heart rate, and I lose the will to keep pushing. IMO the marginal benefits of training fasted don't even come close to its effect on my abilities. No way is training half as intense, half as hard, or lifting half as much going to worth it.

That said, if you are doing low intensity steady state cardio for a short duration I see no reason to not train fasted. Every time I'm at the gym I see people doing cardio at a snails pace playing with their phones and I wonder why the even do it. IMO push yourself so training fasted isn't even an option.
  • JaxDemon
    JaxDemon Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Unfueled cardio has been proven to help burn more fat.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person.
  • AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    You have to see what works for you. It looks like a lot of people here workout on an empty stomach. Personally, I NEED food, especially carbs, before I lift or do cardio. If I don't, I don't perform as well. And I've gotten downright dizzy on occasion.
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    Echoing "whatever works for you" but also adding that there is no scientific backing that says exercising on an empty stomach will necessarily force your body to look to fat stores for fuel.

So yeah, do what works for you. :) If you're seeing results, you're doing it right.
  • AdriannaGetsfit
    Options
    If you go to bed hydrated and you ate the right amount the day before, fasted AM cardio is great. If you're dehydrated it can be awful. It'll ruin the rest of your day. Best of luck!
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    i can't do it, i can barely walk down the stairs on an empty stomach any more :( i used to be able to get to lunchtime without eating. I have MDDS so being hungry is dangerous for me, which suits me immeasurably as i love eating lol can't think of a better excuse for grazing throughout the day on fruit and veg :D

there are lots of studies on it however, but i've not read them, just the news articles so couldn't say for sure, i think like everything else it depends on the person how much impact it has. If you want to try it, i'd ease in to it, no point making yourself ill or getting injured just to lose that extra pound a month, if you put it back on unable to exercise with a broken ankle or concussion ;)
  • xxhieixx
    xxhieixx Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    If I did it in the mornings when I woke up it would be great. I usually go out for a walk then come back and eat. However, my zumba class is at 7 pm and I try to eat at 5 so I'm not starving. If I don't eat before zumba I'm definitely STARVING afterwards and I hate feeling like that. The only time I've ever done that is if I know I'm going out to eat or ordering out afterwards. I usually go home and make dinner so after class I have a good hour and a half - 2 hours before dinner is done.
    I don't know what your schedule is like so if you prefer to work out on an empty stomach then go for it. I hate it but everyone is different :)
  • EmmaNilsson77
    EmmaNilsson77 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    An interesting take on why to do it, but only occasionally; http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/running-e
    Personally, I do it because I have to get up and out the door before I'm fully awake, or I won't go.
  • GoddezzSheila69
    Options
    Look at it this way.....If you have/had kids would you let them play a soccer game on an empty stomach?

The answer is NO! It is dangerous to work out on an empty stomach. Your blood sugar levels go into shock as well as your muscles will suffer. You should NOT eat a huge meal and then work out but healthy snacking about 15minutes before hand is good.

The theory is to not deplete your body but build muscle/strength when you work out. Can't do that if you are being carted off in an ambulance because you fainted.