Loss of Motivation

Options
I have absolutely no motivation anymore. What tends to motivate you? Any insight is helpful. :)

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,154 Member
    Options
    Motivation is overrated :wink: Habit and consistency is what drives my weight loss.

But I get an occasional boost in motivation
    - when I reach intermediate goals: going from obese to overweight, my weight going from 80-something to 70-something kg,...
    - when I reach fitness goals: being able to run half an hour non stop, being able to run an hour non stop, lowering my heart rate for the same intensity exercise,...
    - when I fit into old clothes
    - when I can buy new, smaller clothes
    - when I get a compliment/someone has noticed my weight loss
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,610 Member
    Options
    I agree with making goals. I made a fitness journal and every Sunday night I write my fitness goals for the week with boxes and each day I accomplish them I cross off a box. I love seeing every box checked at the end of the week! People do rewards after a certain amount are checked but I'm happy with the boxes. I also joined a group that has a habit tracker with boxes as well. A second group I just joined has a check-in for being under calories, tracking everything, and exercise with a couple passes for the month. Lastly, if you put on good dance music when having trouble gettig psyched for a workout you could at least end up dancing. I'll tell myself I'll do only 5 minutes exercise but by then I'm warmed up and keep going.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    What are you motivated to do instead of your goal?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    The healthier we are, the likelier we are to survive if we catch the virus.
  • 2YrFitnessGoal3
    2YrFitnessGoal3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    I am motivated by socializing. I am a big people person and family oriented. Love going out and about and finding new things to get into. I like to cook too, but lately haven't been motivated to cook healthier.

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I am motivated by socializing. I am a big people person and family oriented. Love going out and about and finding new things to get into. I like to cook too, but lately haven't been motivated to cook healthier.

One thing to know about motivation is that you have loads of it. Just about everything you do in a day has a motivator. Some of your goal motivations will compete with those that are more instinctive. That is why it is not a good idea to rely on motivation but actually try to plan around it.

However, it sounds like this isolation may have you feeling mildly depressed which has a downward drag effect on the things you would normally do and how you feel. Sometimes just recognizing it as a little bit of a depressive state will be enough for a person to work to counteract it. Do things you find refreshing or things that lift your spirits. If you are able a nice walk outside and especially in a natural setting can be good therapy.

If your goal is to lose weight then the question is what is the least amount of effort you can invest to be moving towards your goal? If you are not interested in cooking "healthy" can you eat in a way that leaves you in a slight calorie deficit each day? I am not talking about your calorie goal I am talking about eating some number under your maintenance calories even if it is only 150 calories.

If your goal is not weight loss you could say what it is and perhaps the forum might have a suggestion for it.
  • cheripie1
    cheripie1 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm going through a lull too. I've had 2 weeks of oMG this is happening type eating.. and stuck at the same weight.
    Started back doing morning home walking workout.

Fitbit premium (now free) boxfit at lunch
    Meal Replacement for lunch(organic plant based)
    Light home weights for arms

Getting back on track! Hey, when we are over this, it will be great to look and feel amazing!
  • rross47
    rross47 Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Hey! I totally get what you mean about being a people person, and lacking motivation now and then. Have you thought about working with a coach who could keep you accountable?
  • 2YrFitnessGoal3
    2YrFitnessGoal3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    rross47 wrote: »

Hey! I totally get what you mean about being a people person, and lacking motivation now and then. Have you thought about working with a coach who could keep you accountable?

I'm glad you say that. I have thought about it but they are too costly. At least the ones that I am aware of. A coach would be super beneficial to me though.