I miss swimming!

I cross train, so I still have running and cycling, but I miss swimming!

Normally, May would mean getting back into the local pond, but will that be safe this year? Who knows!

I've been working with resistance bands and floor-ex a few days a week, and I'm actually regaining some strength I had before when I did it more often. I'm trying to get back to 50 push-ups, doing lots of core, and you can do very well with other upper body muscles using the resistance bands. I have a few old dumbbells in the basement that I'm planning to clean off and bring upstairs. That's all good stuff!

Still, I wonder when we'll get back to using the pool. I imagine that, even if chlorine kills COVID19 "on contact," there could be transmission above the water via breathing and/or in the locker room (including the shared shower). Such places could be considered dangerous until there is a vaccine, which could be a year away. :'(

I know there are bigger problems in the world, but I miss swimming!

Replies

• drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited March 2020
    I miss climbing! Indoor climbing is probably worse than indoor swimming, as it is plastic holds compared to chlorinated water. Outdoor climbing will be a better bet, but is logistically harder in London.

I miss swimming as well. And I miss scuba a lot.

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    @Jthanmyfitnesspal - I"m 11 weeks out from a race(assuming it doesn't get cancelled), so it really hurts to watch my swim fitness erode. I"m doing what I can with swim cords, but its not the same as pool time. I"ll push the open water season once the water gets a bit warmer. Its in the low 40's around here now.

But, the good news is that we can still run and ride our bikes!
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    I, too, miss the pool. I'm doing other things like the rest of you, but nothing comes close. Sigh.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    edited March 2020
    I miss swimming too. I don’t think there’s any evidence that the virus is transmitted through water. Outdoor swimming should be fine when the weather warms up, as long as social distance is maintained from other swimmers.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    I basically miss swimming except for 2 months of the year. This year, maybe not get it at all. My local pool charges WAY too much ($5) for a 30 min lap swim. Even if they open, I may not want to pay the price.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    I basically miss swimming except for 2 months of the year. This year, maybe not get it at all. My local pool charges WAY too much ($5) for a 30 min lap swim. Even if they open, I may not want to pay the price.

Do they time you?

• mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,069 Member
    Me too!!!! And there are no good outdoor option here except for the Bayous and that is NOT a place you want to swim. I'm scared to even dip my feet in when I kayak. And it's for fear of alligators....it's more the toxic waste water and dead bodies that are probably hiding in there. :lol:
    drmwc wrote: »
    I miss climbing! Indoor climbing is probably worse than indoor swimming, as it is plastic holds compared to chlorinated water. Outdoor climbing will be a better bet, but is logistically harder in London.

I miss swimming as well. And I miss scuba a lot.

My son and I were able to get our lead climbing certification done literally hours before the indoor climbing gyms closed. We have outdoor climbing about 3 hours away, so I think we have to take a day trip up one weekend before they shut down the state parks.
  • DancingMoosie

Do they time you?

It's only available 11:30-12, so at noon they open the pool to the public. It's quite obvious. Of course, they did change the rule that one entrance fee covers everything, so I could stay after 12, but there would no longer be an open lap lane. They put the "ropes" away, leaving the pool an open space for everyone.
  • unyquescorpion
    unyquescorpion Posts: 15 Member
    I miss swimming as well. I started taking lessons last February. I enjoyed it so much. I wanted to learn every stroke
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    @DancingMoosie : That is ridiculous! Sounds like the inmates need to take over the asylum!

BTW: It seems like every pool has a cranky pool manager that makes all the decisions (and takes all the heat, maybe explaining the crankiness). I've petitioned such a person under various circumstances for various things, sometimes with success.
  • DancingMoosie
    Yes, I was thinking I could maybe make a deal with the manager, especially because I'm usually the only person almost all summer to take advantage of lap swim. But who knows what this summer will bring.
  • SwtHedgehog
    SwtHedgehog Posts: 175 Member
    Thanks for starting this thread; it's hard to find someone who truly understands this. I'm 10 weeks out from my first halfIronman. From the start, I've been worried about making the cut-off time. This makes it worse. It's WI here so I can't swim outside either. If they don't cancel, my only hope is that the wetsuit works the miracles people claim.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    It's WI here so I can't swim outside either. If they don't cancel, my only hope is that the wetsuit works the miracles people claim.

Not quite a miracle, but a triathlon wetsuit is a big help for those who suffer "sinking legs" syndrome as they fatigue (like me). The wetsuit will keep your legs afloat, even if you stop swimming. This saves valuable energy during a 1.2 mile swim.

As far as open water swim training, I have an insulated neoprene swim cap that really helps in cold water swims. We've started open water swimming as early as mid April in Ct by using insulated caps, wetsuits and even booties to ward off the chill. My 70.3 race is June 19th, so I'm planning to get at least 6-8 weeks of open water swims in before race day.

Good luck with your first HIM! Its my favorite distance to race.

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Thanks for starting this thread; it's hard to find someone who truly understands this. I'm 10 weeks out from my first halfIronman. From the start, I've been worried about making the cut-off time. This makes it worse. It's WI here so I can't swim outside either. If they don't cancel, my only hope is that the wetsuit works the miracles people claim.

which half ironman and do you think they are going to hold it? i know that the vast majority of races through May are cancelled and potentially june depending on how things are going?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member

Do they time you?

It's only available 11:30-12, so at noon they open the pool to the public. It's quite obvious. Of course, they did change the rule that one entrance fee covers everything, so I could stay after 12, but there would no longer be an open lap lane. They put the "ropes" away, leaving the pool an open space for everyone.

that is stupid! my pool had open swim but still leave 1-2 lanes in the water for those of us who want to do laps (in fact they don't just do lap swim; its lap swim in conjunction with open swim
  • SwtHedgehog
    SwtHedgehog Posts: 175 Member

which half ironman and do you think they are going to hold it? i know that the vast majority of races through May are cancelled and potentially june depending on how things are going?

It's the Madison one June 14. I double checked today and it's still on. I've been trying to do some arm workouts.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Our pool here in Rome has just reopened. I had my first swim after 3 months. Lots of rules but there is only one person in every lane. We have to make reservations online and wear masks in the locker room. The swimming was glorious!
  • DancingMoosie
    No pool for me this summer😢
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,464 Member
    Our pools have advertised for lifeguards, so it sounds promising. (Fingers crossed).