Hip pain from running

We finally had great running weather and began running again. I think I over did it (6 days in a row) I now have hip pain, feels like my hips are all knotted and hurts when I get up from sitting. I’ve taken a break and am on day 4.... how long does this take to heal?

Replies

• briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    Everyone is different, I don't think there's a standard timeframe for recovery. You just need to listen to your body and take it easy.

I did something similar when I started running a handful of years back but it was my knee that acted up. Went to the doctor but they couldn't figure it out. I think I had Runner's Knee. I just had to take a bunch of time off, wait until it didn't hurt and then SLOWLY start up again, making sure I took a day off between runs. Never had an issue again.

As far as hips, I use a foam roller every now and again to help my hips/IT bands down the side of my legs and it really helps. Might be something that gives you some relief?

Good luck!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Nobody could answer that question. It's a individualized question/answer and there is more variables than just recovering from running being the only factor which would never be the case.

I highly suggest you practice better load management and take note on what load you can currently handle as well as ncreases in frequency, intensity, or volume for better decision making.
  • Silkysausage
    Silkysausage Posts: 502 Member
    Look at hip flexor muscles, glute minimum/medius and biceps femoris with foam rolling and trigger point therapy.
  • Biggiwig69
    Biggiwig69 Posts: 38 Member
    I have Iliopsoas Hip Syndrome and Bursitis. It hurts every time I get up from a sitting position, hip makes a popping sound, and when I am in my feet all day.
    It can become chronic if you don’t rest. Like others say, listen to your body.
    I didn’t do it and I have chronic problems now for over a year. The pain is less or very severe depending on my activities.
    My advice is, stop the activity if you can, that causes the pain and hopefully the pain with subside in a few weeks.