Anyone personally affected by Covid 19?

Options
13»

Replies

• musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone who has definitively been diagnosed, but my friend has a kid in college and went to Florida for spring break, came home and got sick with all the typical COVID symptoms. She couldn't get him tested because they are only testing people working in the medical field, ems, fire, police, and people over 65.
  • JaxxieKat
    JaxxieKat Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Can I confirm this?
    You only get tested in US if you need to go to hospital??

To state the bleeding obvious, this must mean your case numbers, bad as they are, are actually vastly under reported.

It depends on the state/region. NYC had much better testing capabilities than my state (Georgia). Right now you need to have a doctor referral, be hospitalized, be a first responder/medical professional, or be over the age of 65 and been exposed to a confirmed positive individual to get tested.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Can I confirm this?

To state the bleeding obvious, this must mean your case numbers, bad as they are, are actually vastly under reported.

It depends on where you are and the resources available in your area. Where resources are stretched thin and test kits (and other things) are in short supply, tests are being used for those entering an inpatient setting (where it’s critical to know).

In other areas - where resources aren’t so limited, testing is more comprehensive (at least to include all those with possible cases).

The US is a large area with vast differences in population density/landscape and there are places where there are no cases and people wonder what all the fuss is about. And there are places where bodies are getting packed into 18-wheeler trailers because the morgues are full.

So it’s not so much that the US isn’t doing full testing. Some places are, some places aren’t.

Regardless, the number of actual cases is going to be considerably higher-to include those who haven’t been tested because they didn’t meet whatever specific criteria is in place for their area or because their symptoms weren’t significant enough to seek treatment at all.
  • musicfan68
    musicfan68 Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    It will be interesting when they get the antibody test out. I think they will find that there are probably millions of people in this country that have had it and either didn't know because it was before there was mass panic about it, or just didn't get tested when they were sick because of lack of tests.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Can I confirm this?

As others have said, it depends on location (things is the US are often state-specific). You could get tested here so long as you had a doctor's referral, and now anyone with symptoms can, even without a referral. This is Illinois.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,991 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks to those who answered my question. :)

Yes anyone with symptoms can get tested here ( South Australia) too but you do need a referral form from a doctor.