COVID 19 Dumbbell only StrongLifts 5x5

Hi everyone. I know different variations of this questions have popped up many times previously all over the internet, with people wondering if they can do StrongLifts with dumbbell only. Generally the answer is “you won’t have dumbbells that big at home”. So, because gyms are shut, I’ve invested in adjustable dumbbells that go up to 41kg with 2.5kg increments. It doesn’t look like gyms will open anytime soon either. I want to start a program, and I had my heart set on strong lifts as a relative novice. Should I do the moves with dumbbells only? Does anyone have suggestions on variations for dumbbell for the program, or alternatively a different 5x5 dumbbell only program?

Replies

• darreneatschicken
    darreneatschicken Posts: 669 Member
    edited April 2020
    Yeah. I was doing Stronglifts 5x5 for about 5 months before the gyms shutdown, so I invested in a pair of adjustable dumbbells as well.

This is my routine now:

Workout A

Squats: 5x8-12
    DB floor press: 5x8-12
    DB bent-over rows: 5x8-12

Workout B

Squats: 5x8-12
    DB OHP: 5x8-12
    DB deadlifts: 1x8-12

With dumbbells, you can't lift as heavy, so just increase the number of reps. I also like to add a lot of accessory work:

Accessory workout A

DB skullcrushers: 3x8-12
    Dips using a chair: 3x to failure
    Planks: 3x to failure

Accessory workout B

DB bicep curls: 3x8-12
    DB hammer curls: 3x8-12
    Lying leg raises: 3x to failure

The accessory work is just an example of what you could do. Feel free to change the exercises and add more or less depending on how you feel.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    There’s quite a few dB only programmes out there as well. Look at the ‘ which lifting programme is best for you’ thread. Some other decent websites with programmes designed for covid at home training include: barbell medicine, 3D muscle journey and renaissance periodisation. Those are paid programmes though. There was a free one I got from rippedbody.com as well that looked decent.

As a newbie any programme will work. Just train the best you can till the gym reopens.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    You can follow the basic Strong Lifts protocol , just use your dumbells. If you can't add weight , add some reps, either way you are getting stronger. At that point it is no longer Strong Lifts, but something else, but it will work. Look at what the previous poster Asia is doing - that looks pretty good. I would cange Accessory A &B to do 1 tricep and 1 bicep in each one and hit them more often - a minor change
  • babakkkash
    babakkkash Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you so much guys. I’ve managed to drop 10k in 12 weeks and I’m at 10% body fat finally so this is really helpful on taking the next step. My only worry is injuries with dumbbells. Is there anything I should look out for technique wise. I’ve read a lot about changing squats to goblet squats. What do you think?
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Sure goblet squats will work.
  • darreneatschicken
    edited April 2020
    babakkkash wrote: »
    Thank you so much guys. I’ve managed to drop 10k in 12 weeks and I’m at 10% body fat finally so this is really helpful on taking the next step. My only worry is injuries with dumbbells. Is there anything I should look out for technique wise. I’ve read a lot about changing squats to goblet squats. What do you think?

Yeah, I prefer goblet squats as well because the dumbbells don't get in the way of your knees when you're trying to push them out.

Regarding the possibility of injuries, dumbbells are actually safer than barbells because they don't lock your wrists into position. For example, you can angle your wrists slightly when doing the floor press. Pressing from the floor also decreases your ROM, subsequently decreasing the amount of strain that you put on your pecs.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited April 2020
    I wouldn't suggest to alter the SL program with DB's. The rep scheme isn't ideal for DB and/or exercise selection. There simply is better choices that will bring a more robust response.

I would rather see you hire a experienced trainer that can program intelligently for you specific needs or run a DB program.

• darreneatschicken
    edited April 2020
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I wouldn't suggest to alter the SL program with DB's. The rep scheme isn't ideal for DB and/or exercise selection. There simply is better choices that will bring a more robust response.

I would rather see you hire a experienced trainer that can program intelligently for you specific needs or run a DB program.

What DB program would you recommend if all you have is an exercise mat and a pair of adjustable dumbbells? No one is going to hire a personal trainer, because of social distancing and closed gyms.
  • Chieflrg
    edited April 2020
    Chieflrg wrote: »

What DB program would you recommend if all you have is an exercise mat and a pair of adjustable dumbbells? No one is going to hire a personal trainer, because of social distancing and closed gyms.

Sorry, no I wouldn't have a dumbbell specific program recommendation as I don't have experience with cookie cutter programs of that nature.

I would recommend choosing a program with auto regulation to help dose the correct stimulus if possible.

I also recommend one if possible that utilizes the following exercise selections that would be more specific to SL.

1. Bulgarian split squats and/or step ups.
    2. Variations of presses such as flat and incline.
    3. Tempo and/or paused work.

People are hiring personal online trainers more than ever because of this situation.

All of my athletes are currently online and it's a very good choice for people looking to save a bit of money in these times and still reap the benefit of intelligently written programming.

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

Yeah, I prefer goblet squats as well because the dumbbells don't get in the way of your knees when you're trying to push them out.

Regarding the possibility of injuries, dumbbells are actually safer than barbells because they don't lock your wrists into position. For example, you can angle your wrists slightly when doing the floor press. Pressing from the floor also decreases your ROM, subsequently decreasing the amount of strain that you put on your pecs.

OP - Only caveat to add to the injury aspect is that I've heard many comment it's much easier to allow their shoulders to unlock muscle tension when using dumbbells compared to bar - for upper body motions.
    And a bad motion on that can take you out for weeks, or worse.

Also, to duplicate deadlift motion you do have to get it out in front of knees as if bar was there, instead of dragging up sides of legs in very different position more akin to a squat.
  • Chieflrg
    edited April 2020
    heybales wrote: »

OP - Only caveat to add to the injury aspect is that I've heard many comment it's much easier to allow their shoulders to unlock muscle tension when using dumbbells compared to bar - for upper body motions.
    And a bad motion on that can take you out for weeks, or worse.

Also, to duplicate deadlift motion you do have to get it out in front of knees as if bar was there, instead of dragging up sides of legs in very different position more akin to a squat.

Motions or movement patterns do not cause injury. That is extremely misunderstood notion and unfortunately very harmful to state as so.

Current evidence suggests that poor load management increases injury risk and not the actual movement by itself.