Anyone know how to track Caloric Density in MFP?

Im looking for an alternative to using NOOM , for a variety of reasons. They have a Red , Yellow , Green food category based on the foods caloric density. Does anyone know how to do this in MFP?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 33,792 Member
    MFP is a little different than NOOM.

One way you might think of improving your nutrition while eating the right calories for your weight goals, is to begin logging, and use a process of diary review to nudge your eating gradually in the direction of more nutrient-dense foods. This link is a more detailed description of that kind of process:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

NOOM, and some other plans (like Weight Watchers) use some kind of categorization of individual foods as better or less good to eat. That can be helpful.

By contrast, many people here on MFP think that what's important is getting good, overall balanced nutrition from one's total way of eating, and that foods that help that goal are good and useful in that context. In that way of thinking, even something like a candy bar can be fine, if one has already gotten a good amount of protein, healthy fats, and plenty of nice veggies/fruits that day, but has calories left available.

To give an extreme example, some people do an endurance activity (like riding bicycles long distance). For them, nearly pure sugar can be just the thing to give them quick energy during such a long ride, without causing digestive distress. For someone sitting at a desk all day, an apple might be a more useful eating choice in their different context, even though an apple also has sugar.

In this way of thinking, context and dosage (serving size) matter.

I can't speak for you, but I think many people have a pretty good grasp of what foods are nutrient-dense and not as calorie dense (veggies, fruits, lean meats, whole grains in reasonable portions, etc.), and which foods are calorie-dense and not as nutritious (soda/pop, baked goods, deep fried things, etc.). With that knowledge, and some food looking in MFP, it's fairly straightforward to find an overall way of eating that balances calorie needs, nutrition, tastiness, satiation, practicality, and the other factors that go into a sustainable, overall healthy way of eating.

Best wishes!
  • dcl2018
    dcl2018 Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks . I’ve been on and off with MFP for years so I’m aware of the tracking principles. Was just checking in for other options .