Just need some help in understanding this please

Options
Hey everyone. I’m 5’3 female and a couple years ago I lost 50 pounds by eating 1200 calories a day and running everyday. I lost this weight in around 5 months. However, I have gained around half of this weight back :( I am wanting to start losing again and I wish to again follow my 1200 calorie diet plan as I feel it’s the only thing that works for me. I feel when I eat more than that I lose weight incredibly slow? My question is; a lot of people have advised against this, they say a quick fix will only make you gain the weight back as you have already seen. However, if I have 1200 calories during my weight loss and then when I hit the weight I want to be I switch to maintenence calories and STICK TO MAINTENANCE and not go over (the mistake I made last time was I lost and then never tracked maintenance calories) will I gain weight back? If I slowly increase calories to maintenance after weight loss? Also is it true that I may have lost a bit of muscle last time I lost weight? Because I find that now when I try to lose it’s harder and slower, could I have lost a lot of muscle too?

Thank you all :)

Replies

• acooperm
    acooperm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I don't think you said what your starting weight was? I'm 5'3 and starting weight of 147.5 in January. I've been sticking to 1200 calories on most days and am down 14 lbs. I was on vacation for a week and didn't count calories that week and gained a few lbs which have since come off. I exercise 3-5 days/week (walking, elliptical or kettlebell tapes) but nothing too intense. My point is that 1200 calories seems to work just fine for me and I'm not losing a lot of weight too quickly. You need to find a calorie balance that works best for you and your lifestyle. Wishing you good luck on your weight loss journey!