Sugar in fruits. Is too much fruit bad?

Options
I need advice, preferably from someone with a nutritional background. I have been doing my food diaries. I mainly fast in the am until noon, only eating fruit if I feel hungry. When I log this in my food journal, I notice my sugars are off the charts. I am practicing a mostly vegan diet (meaning I do eat only cheese, no eggs, meat, chicken, or fish) so fruit is really all I eat along with veggies. Should I lay off the fruit??

Replies

• write2kim
    Options
    It would be best to talk to your Doctor about this, it depends on your particular state of health. For example, if you were pre-diabetic, you may not want to have as much fruit sugar. So it is very important to get a health check up, and you could ask to be referred to a Nutritionist, as I did. Good Luck, KHA
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If you think this is a problem because (and only because) of the line MFP places as a sugar target, it's probably not a problem.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    The limit on MFP is the limit set by the FDA for added sugars only, but MFP counts fruit and added sugars the same. As long as you don't have a pre-existing blood sugar condition such as diabetes or hypoglycemia, enjoy your fruit. They are nutritious and delicious.
  • Nkechiye
    Nkechiye Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It would be best to talk to your Doctor about this, it depends on your particular state of health. For example, if you were pre-diabetic, you may not want to have as much fruit sugar. So it is very important to get a health check up, and you could ask to be referred to a Nutritionist, as I did. Good Luck, KHA

That is true. I recently had blood work done and she said I had nothing to worry about as far as diabetes. She said everything looked good.
  • Nkechiye
    Nkechiye Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The limit on MFP is the limit set by the FDA for added sugars only, but MFP counts fruit and added sugars the same. As long as you don't have a pre-existing blood sugar condition such as diabetes or hypoglycemia, enjoy your fruit. They are nutritious and delicious.

Doctor said no issues with diabetes so I think I am OK. Thank you so much for the advice. Id hate to give up my fruit lol.
  • ngyoung
    ngyoung Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    It would only really be a problem if you're already insulin resistant. For most people sugar in whole fruit is perfectly fine. When people get into trouble is when they strip away the fiber.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Options

I concur. Eat your fruit. I literally eat 8-10 pounds of raw fruit a week, and I've still lost 9 lbs in the last 2 weeks. Stay away from canned fruit, though. The syrup it's canned in negates the health benefits.

And congratulations on your transition to vegetarianism. Straight up veganism can be a chore at times, so I always tell people to park at vegetarianism for a while until they know they are willing to give up cheese and leather car seats. :glasses:
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options

I concur. Eat your fruit. I literally eat 8-10 pounds of raw fruit a week, and I've still lost 9 lbs in the last 2 weeks. Stay away from canned fruit, though. The syrup it's canned in negates the health benefits.

And congratulations on your transition to vegetarianism. Straight up veganism can be a chore at times, so I always tell people to park at vegetarianism for a while until they know they are willing to give up cheese and leather car seats. :glasses:
    I am a fruit fiend as well. I generally like to have two bananas, 1/2 lb. of strawberries, and a large granny smith apple a day. Sometimes I'll add watermelon into the mix if I have some in the house. I've been ramping up fruit buying recently because I seem to run out way too quick some weeks, lol.

Edit: And as an extra note, my resting blood sugar rate has actually improved with my increase in fruit consumption - mainly because my weight has gone down.
  • camillemarten
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! It was my question exactly. The answer was very helpful.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    If you don't have any health conditions that force you to have to monitor your sugar intake then it's safe to treat Fruit as an exception. Just one piece of some fruits can put you over your daily recommended allowance of sugars, but the nutritious benefits FAR outweigh any possible downside.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    If eating fruit is bad for humans, we'd better all call our local zoos and warn the zookeepers to stop giving fruit to the other primate species as well. Humans are primates, and primates eat fruit. Fruit doesn't make anyone fat, being sedentary and eating too much makes you fat.
  • guessrs
    guessrs Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I love fruit, but I find even if I eat lots of it I don't overeat on it. It's filling.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I need advice, preferably from someone with a nutritional background. I have been doing my food diaries. I mainly fast in the am until noon, only eating fruit if I feel hungry. When I log this in my food journal, I notice my sugars are off the charts. I am practicing a mostly vegan diet (meaning I do eat only cheese, no eggs, meat, chicken, or fish) so fruit is really all I eat along with veggies. Should I lay off the fruit??

Take sugar off your macros list. :p Just don't track it. it comes in under 'carbohydrates' anyway. Track something else like calcium or fibre.

Also: don't forget as a vegan to be careful to include lots of beans, lentils, pulses etc. :)
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason to limit sugar, don't worry too much about it-- it won't derail your diet. If you just want to track it, the American Heart Association recommends limiting *added* sugars to 9 teaspoons a day for men and 6 teaspoons a day for women (or about 100 -150 calories worth of added sugars per day).

Sources:

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/GettingHealthy/NutritionCenter/HealthyDietGoals/Sugars-and-Carbohydrates_UCM_303296_Article.jsp

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/120/11/1011.full.pdf