Hamstring Pull

Options
Last Friday I was running down the stairs and felt a pull right behind my knee. I figured it was a cramp, but the pain stayed. I am guessing it is my hamstring. I have been icing it and the pain is the worst in the morning, but once I am warmed up it feels better but it gets stiff pretty easily. I feel it more often going down the stairs, it doesnt hurt to stretch or cycle on but I can have twinges when I am walking. Its hard to stay off of it because I have two littles at home.
I would go to the doctor but with everything going on right now, not really my first choice.
I am seeing my chiro tomorrow and hoping for some answers.
Is it okay to continue to cycle/elliptical if I feel no pain while I am doing it and also I have heard not to stretch, any advice on how to get over this quickly??

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Can you PM your doctor and ask them their opinion?
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,994 Member
    Options
    I had a pretty bad hamstring pull and had to rest for 10 days before even attempting to do any exercise that involved the legs. Then it was very slow going back into it. Don't make it worse on yourself or risk tearing the hamstring!
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    It could also be your popliteus muscle behind your knee, which would hurt going down stairs. Check if there's bruising or swelling back there, which is a sign of a tear. If not, i wouldn't ice it, since it reduces blood flow and therefore slows healing (reference). Light, frequent movement or stretching is best since it increases blood flow - just avoid anything painful.

• jtechmart
    jtechmart Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I would do 1.5 hour walk/runs. I would walk mostly, but then jog when I felt like it. I would feel my hamstring get sore afterwards, but didn't think much of it, other than not pushing it when it was sore.

Then one day I went into my backyard from rest, ran around with the Dog in the backyard sprinting at times, and then boom! It felt like my knee was blown out. I just went to the ground and the knee, calf, hamstring area was shot. I never went to the doctor, but it took weeks to recover. I think it was a hamstring injury, but not positive. Just saying, be careful not to over exert. For me it took me right to the ground and the dog had to help me back inside, where i crawled upstairs and into bed.
  • ChelzFit
    ChelzFit Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I’m trying to take it easy and I’m by far not doing anything high impact. I’m cycling lightly on a bike and I feel no pain during/after. I’m hoping I can easily just work through this. I hate being injured, exercise is a huge help for my anxiety.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Were you doing any form of resistance training before this experience?
  • ChelzFit
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Yes, I was doing two days upper body and two days lower body. My lower body consisted of deadlifts, squats, lunges, and hip thrusts. I don't lift very heavy, my squats/deadlifts were 50 pounds, and lunges I would just use 15 pound dumbells.
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    ChelzFit wrote: »

Yes, I was doing two days upper body and two days lower body. My lower body consisted of deadlifts, squats, lunges, and hip thrusts. I don't lift very heavy, my squats/deadlifts were 50 pounds, and lunges I would just use 15 pound dumbells.

I see and did you continue training those movements?
  • ChelzFit
    Options

I have stopped all lower body exercises and I have just continued with upper body.
  • Chieflrg
    Options

I have stopped all lower body exercises and I have just continued with upper body.

If you stopped only because of this injury...I suggest you go back to squats and deadlifts at a intensity, ROM, and volume that is tolerable.

This might mean a different variation of each as well if needed.

Strength training helps heal faster and with the proper load management lowers the risk of re-injury.

I also wouldn't suggest icing unless it's a full belly muscle tear. Icing actually slows down inflammation and the healing process.