Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Swimming with Endless Pool?

Due to my arthritis, I get most of my exercise by swimming. I usually swim in an Endless Pool (small swim spa where I swim against the current). Does anybody have suggestions how to log that? I am swimming moderately vigorously for half an hour, but without any turns so it's not quite the same as swimming laps. In my previous app it allowed me to log it as open water swimming which seemed more accurate.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member
    How many calories did the app give you for open water swimming? I would use that number.
  • ChadLMitchell
    ChadLMitchell Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for the suggestion. When I went back to check how many calories it was assigning, I discovered that the other app gave me 505 calories (for my weight, etc.) for 30 minutes of moderately vigorous swimming whether I was doing lap swimming or open water swimming. If it assumes both activities burn the same calories then I can just log it as lap swimming in myFitnessPal.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Just log the time spent swimming. It doesn’t matter whether you turn. You might be swimming more vigorously since you’re not slowing to turn. Glad you like it!
  • joannegustyn1971
    joannegustyn1971 Posts: 50 Member
    We are anxiously awaiting our swim spa to be delivered. It was supposed to be the third week of June but now it’s the last week of July. Hopefully there will be no more delays! I’m excited!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,289 Member
    Seems pretty high...but the only way to know is to use one number for a while and see what your weight does.

I used to swim a lot, I doubt seriously that I ever burned that much in 30 minutes but it might be correct for you.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    edited July 2020
    Thanks for the suggestion. When I went back to check how many calories it was assigning, I discovered that the other app gave me 505 calories (for my weight, etc.) for 30 minutes of moderately vigorous swimming whether I was doing lap swimming or open water swimming. If it assumes both activities burn the same calories then I can just log it as lap swimming in myFitnessPal.

It's a bit flawed to base net calorie estimates on bodyweight for swimming as the water is supporting your weight.
    Your actual burns are really in line with your fitness level and intensity.
    I saw that Adam Peaty is training during the pandemic in a 3m endless pool - clearly his calorie burn potential is exponentially higher than an unfit person the same weight as him.

505 cals in half an hour would require a very high level of fitness and also working very hard. If that description matches you then go for it but equally if it doesn't then be very dubious.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    1000 calories per hour for swimming is what I would expect from a professional athlete. I would not trust these numbers.