Rejoining and struggling

Options
I had a very difficult year last year and got into a nasty habit of massively binging,feeling sick and ashamed trying to start dieting only do it again 2 days later.
I rejoined the gym and started swimming in addition to my long walks and hiking that I love to do but now it's obviously all stopped.It's massively effecting my mental health,I have Bipolar and being outdoors was one thing that was helping me other then meds but I'm sure a lot of people are in similar position so I shouldn't complain.

Does anyone have tips for new starter and how to avoid binging?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you in an area where outdoor exercise isn't allowed? Where I live, people are still allowed to run and walk outdoors presuming they follow social distance guidelines.
  • passenger79
    passenger79 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm going for a daily walk but this is a lot less then my usual activity.
    I can't run anymore due to injury so I have been regularly swimming instead. I don't have a garden so that's my only time outdoors at the moment.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Making a plan and setting a schedule helps me. I like to do a workout in first thing, before anything else can happen. Search YouTube for some good videos. I have found some instructors that I like, and then subscribe to those channels.
    Maybe the night before(or even on the weekends for the whole week) plan your meals and meal prep. I like coffee first, then maybe Greek yogurt with fruit, a protein bar, or fruit and nuts. My lunch is usually vegetables and protein. My afternoon snack depends on if I got enough protein at breakfast. Usually fruit and nuts or protein bar and iced coffee. Hubby and I eat dinner together, so we plan the menu together, but we focus on a protein and veggies again. I also have set times that I take the dogs out on leash.

It helps to have a plan, so you know what to expect, and don't fall back into mindless snacking. Try to get some movement in at several times during the day.

Do you work from home?
  • passenger79
    Options
    That's really good advice,thank you.I will plan meals in advance and I guess having some sort of schedule will help me feel more in control as it seems all over the place and it's easy to start binging.
    I used to work from home but had to close my business recently so that's been hitting me hard too and it's very limited right now in terms of looking for a new job as only essential workers are employed.

Anyways I should plan my days anyways,I do yoga everyday but I need more exercise I can do from home for weight loss and my sanity.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    I know in my town grocery stores were hiring, might be worth a look, even for short term. I did some yoga last night. I want to do some more today. I want to focus more on relaxing, flexibility, and strength. I'm having a hard time with anxiety. Yoga and walking outside seem to help. I'm glad I have my 4 dogs. It gives me something to take care of and love every day.
  • passenger79
    Options
    There are some supermarkets here but I don't think it would work as both my kid and I have asthma and I had paperwork getting sorted but it's all come to a halt so I am stuck where I am.
    I got 2 years left of my degree so I am still keeping busy with that and yoga is amazing, I fell in love with it after doing Yoga with Adriene video.
    I'm practicing mindfulness and it's work in progress but I am on 3 lots of meds and still massively swinging due to stress of everything.

That's amazing you have 4 dogs I would love to have one but it's not possible where I live,hopefully in the future. They are amazing companions.
  • DancingMoosie
    Options
    It's funny how we ended up with 4, never meant to have that many! We had a male lab and then my husband stopped when he saw a sign for free puppies and we got a female yellow lab puppy. We had just those 2 until the male had to be put down. We felt like she might be lonely, so we went to a shelter and picked another female, a brown catahoula mix. We had the 2 of them for a while, then our neighbor died and his wife needed to rehome a few dogs. So, we ended up with a male Daschund. Then, last summer another neighbor's dog had a litter, and we ended up bringing home a little male chiweenie. So we have 2 big, 2 little, 3 older, one younger!