How to settle cravings around the time of my period! Help.

Options
I seem to be on track and then BOOM a couple of days before my period- I can’t stop eating. I’ve tried to drink more and sometimes I even put myself to bed early to avoid snacking on chocolates. Anyone have any other tips? I feel like my loss would be much better if I didn’t spoil it by giving in to cravings

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Could you adjust your calories to allow for the chocolate, and not feel guilty?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Many women find it helpful to eat at maintenance when their metabolism revs and their appetite increases premenstrually.

Also, what's your % protein goal and are you hitting it?

Are you having at least 25 g of fiber per day?
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I kinda just allow it, as it only lasts a day or 2, and then I know I'll drop pretty well after my period. Though I also get this appetite before I ovulate as well.

I track daily and look at the overall trend, that helps with the mental hurdles.

Here is mine! See if you can spot ovulation /periods lol

i2zbljylsnxf.jpg
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Hey girl. Like you, I have weird eating habits during the month. I've been following a loose eating plan around my menstrual cycle since last December (since I also thought there may be a link).

Mind you, I also started purposefully losing weight the same month, so I don't know if my results (slightly more managed cravings) are because I'm "eating to cycle", "eating less", both, perimenopause or the flapping of unicorn wings in the Sahara at dawn.

Here's the 2018 article: "THIS is what you should eat on your period"

Mind you, you may want to talk to your OB/GYN and/or nutritionist as well!
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Trying to force a deficit can sometimes perpetuate the urge to binge..

My best advice is... if it's just a day or two, just eat. Remember that it takes 3500 additional calories above your maintenance to gain a pound, and it's highly unlikely you will do any significant damage in 2 days assuming you go back to normal deficit eating afterwards
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Maybe try taking notes of what you're craving during that time and see what you're body is actually asking for? I read an article like http://www.dailytransformations.com/food-cravings-here-is-what-your-body-really-wants/, and try to eat the healthy alternatives and tbh for me it works. I still overeat slightly but i don't gorge like i will with foods i'm trying to stay away from.