Lost 8lbs in a month - Losing all progress

Since all the gyms closed I’ve lost 8lbs. It took me years to gain that. 138 now to 130. I watch my weight drop almost everyday. My diet has not changed at all. The only change is that I don’t have access to heavy weights. What can I do to get back up?? These at home push up and squat exercises don’t help

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    edited April 2020
    Might not be a great replacement, but now many handstand pushups or pistols are you able to do then? one arm pull ups? Those should be a bit more difficult than just standard ones.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,554 Member
    I have heard of good things about "you are your own gym" and "convict conditioning"
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    I started you are your own gym. I think it has potential. It’s quite challenging.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    edited April 2020
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I have heard of good things about "you are your own gym" and "convict conditioning"

Yayog is great for getting ideas for variations. Agreed. Convict conditioning has some interesting progressions. I find both of them boring in how they are set up, but then I love to run wild in the crazy jungle that is bodyweight and little equipment training. Yeah, it's a *kitten* time for those who train for hypertrophy. But as strength is not really hypertrophy and TO hasn't explained what they are after exactly we can only guess. Strength to a certain extend is possible in the livingroom. Hypertrophy probably not so, unless one replaces the tv table with a squat rack :D Calling @EricDaubney for clarification.

My workout today: I did about 45 minutes of strength and cardio, went for a very tiny run, then had a straight gin and started dancing to the St. Matthew Passion, kind of slow ballet and stretching style. See how long you can lift your leg to the front, side, back up high and keep it there :D
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,413 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I posted in your other thread, if you lost weight fast most of it is likely due to release of water weight since you stopped lifting. So try not to panic. Add a high calorie smoothie or extra snack or portion if you can, ...more food. Also bodyweight training programs for now as @PAV8888 mentioned

!!! Really? Is this truly a thing?

Weight is falling off me, clothes are getting baggy, and skin is loose.

I’m running, walking, and doing two yoga and/or Pilates mat classes a day. Lots of planks, chatarungas (“yoga pushups”), side planks, arm balances, roll ups, etc. I feel like I’m keeping strength up reasonably well, but no heavy lifting other than own body weight.

I miss my gym and my trainer.

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Oh ya if I take a break from lifting I look and feel flat and mushy. I feel like the water I hold when I lift makes such a huge difference in my shape!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,554 Member
    edited April 2020
    Are you actually increasing your cardio type exercises and activity? You maybe actually be burning more calories than you might have with heavy lifting--not less. Plus losing some of the pump.

I mean running walking two classes doesn't exactly sound sedentary.

Sanity check. Are you active more than 3 hours a day? how many more or less calories are you eating than what your mfp very active setting allotment would have been?

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,413 Member
    I’m trying to keep up the activity level I had before lockdown.

It’s hard because the online classes are shorter, less challenging, and I like hot classes, which get the heart rate up with the extra exertion.

I take more intentional walks to get out of the house, but otoh I’m not currently walking a mile two or three times a day to the gym and yoga studio while they are closed. Apple Health shows my yearly walk/run average is 7.7 miles per day versus last 30 days at 9.4.

My daily exercise minutes rolling 30 day average is 171 minutes versus 134 for the year. Number is up considerably but that’s because I’m clocking all walks, whereas I don’t normally count the walks to and from workouts, nor do I count weight training sessions, because they’re so stop and go.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I posted in your other thread, if you lost weight fast most of it is likely due to release of water weight since you stopped lifting. So try not to panic. Add a high calorie smoothie or extra snack or portion if you can, ...more food. Also bodyweight training programs for now as @PAV8888 mentioned

!!! Really? Is this truly a thing?

Weight is falling off me, clothes are getting baggy, and skin is loose.

I’m running, walking, and doing two yoga and/or Pilates mat classes a day. Lots of planks, chatarungas (“yoga pushups”), side planks, arm balances, roll ups, etc. I feel like I’m keeping strength up reasonably well, but no heavy lifting other than own body weight.

I miss my gym and my trainer.

@springlering62

Yep water retention from exercise isn't just an issue for people who recently started to workout.

I took a day off after 10 consecutive days cycling and had a 3lb overnight loss (that's clearly just a lower body soreness/whoosh) and my mileage/intensity wasn't even that spectacular.