Starting to get depressed..

Options
So before the summer holidays I was cutting, lost weight and I was getting leaner each day.. but then summer hit, parties, drink, kebabs at 3am.. I dont know how much weight ive put on, but I have put weight on.. Noticable weight.

I try to start a diet again but I cant keep motivated, day 1 is the hardest.

just getting really depressed because I can just see myself gaining more and more and more weight

Replies

• born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    So you're depressed because you keep gaining more weight?

My rude comments want to come out but here goes: No one will motivate you more than yourself. While others may inspire you, only you can take this ride by the horns and lose that weight you gained.

In short, stop eating and drinking so much and start moving.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    So you're depressed because you keep gaining more weight?

My rude comments want to come out but here goes: No one will motivate you more than yourself. While others may inspire you, only you can take this ride by the horns and lose that weight you gained.

In short, stop eating and drinking so much and start moving.

This.

You don't need motivation. Just do what you need to do.
  • TheBaileyHunter
    TheBaileyHunter Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Step one: Stop focusing on what you don't have, don't want, don't need

Step two: Start focusing on what you do have, what you do want, what you do need.

Step three: Just get back on the horse. You know how to ride it already, as is evident by your previous success. So, Up you go. You've got all the tools you need. Day one is just the beginning. Don't worry about day two till you get there.
  • buymeagoat
    buymeagoat Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have totally been there several times. The best thing to do is talk to yourself into taking that first step even if it seems insurmountable. Just do it. The depression will melt away each time you take a step towards your goals. Don't try to stop being depressed. Just try to start going in the direction you want and everything else will fall into place. You know you can do it so just do it.
  • DeanThorpex
    DeanThorpex Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Rude comments are fine, I just need to know where to start and how to start again
  • haleigh88
    Options
    Every time I decide to quit sweets cold turkey day 1 is the hardest. I don't know what to tell you to get motivated to make it past day one, other than once you do it's a tiny bit easier every day. I wouldn't call that motivation, but it should be reassurance of some kind. Just try one day, and then the next will come easier.
  • RBTC
    RBTC Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Just have to make the jump.. I have had this problem as well. but a recent support group has helped as well.
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    When that was me I picked my *kitten* up and drove to the gym...just to use the hot tub or whatever, but also with the planned side effect of being motivated back into the swing of things by being around a bunch of people doing what I wanted to do.

That's quite the run-on sentence. *whew*.

TLDR; Good energy is infectious. So get around it.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Start counting everything. Figure out your TDEE and eat at a 20% deficit. Example, my TDEE is 2845 but I'm cutting between 20-25% of that at 1900-2100 cals. This, to lose weight at a rate of 1.5lbs/week.

Also, start lifting and do about 20min cardio after each workout. You will lose. I promise!
  • Maryssa_
    Maryssa_ Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hey, don't get to down on yourself. We all go through tough spots. I've recently been right in your place. I agree it can be hard getting back on track. Just keep your head up, and remember how great you felt when you were losing weight and getting fit.. That's what helps me keep on track. I'm sure you'll be just fine! It's life, and you have time to get back to where you were before, don't stress to much. :-)
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Don't call it a "diet." Start logging carefully and sticking to the calorie goal you set for yourself. I think it would be smart to do maintenance or only a very small deficit at first so you can get into the habit of staying on top of things. Good luck to you.
  • DeanThorpex
    DeanThorpex Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yeah I lift ( im the one on the left in my pic ) but another problem is night time binging.. I could watch my macros all day then when night hits im bored or something and boom i go down stairs and binge my heart out
  • micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    The good news here is that you are in full control over what you are getting depressed about. You don't have to give up everything. Hell, I'd be depressed too if someone made me give up vodka, bbq's and cake. It's just about balance. Get back to working out, that's a huge step in itself - it may suck for a few days, but it will become routine again. Switch out a few foods instead of making a complete 180 - make minor changes until you get more comfortable.

I sat down and wrote out my favorite foods and tried to figure out how to make them healthier. Bagel egg, bacon and cheese sandwich became and thin bagel, egg white, one slice of bacon with cheese. Cut out about 200 calories, still satisfied. My lunch used to be a chipotle bowl over 1100 calories, now I make my own in a smaller portion with brown rice, chicken, black beans, cheese, salsa and guacamole, saved over 500 calories. This is completely doable, start small.
  • Prettyuseful
    Options
    Forget the summer's bad points and focus on the fun you've had. Nobody ever does better at losing weight when they're depressed so beating yourself up is totally pointless and will just be a waste of weeks of your life twice over. Be happy you were happy and now move on.

Getting back into normal sleep patterns now is going to make it easier to shift the weight before you even start on the dieting. Sleep deprivation makes you fat apparently. So does stress (it's all inflammation in the end), so the sooner you stop worrying and start getting your eight hours, the quicker you're going to see results :-)

You will lose weight as soon as you start doing all the good stuff again - you proved it before! That already puts you ahead of loads of us who are struggling to shift it at all ;-P

We're rooting for you. Happy day one!
  • luckyshilling
    Options
    Your page says your goal was to get lean for and awesome summer. You did it! Congrats! It sounds like you had an awesome shirtless summer. Don't be mad at yourself for gaining some weight having a great time. Look back on your summer fondly while you are cutting weight this time. You hit your goal that time. Set a new goal and hit it this time.

You got this!
  • Michielynn222
    Michielynn222 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    simple. Do whatever you want within calorie limit!
    want to drink? have a salad for dinner.
    Want kababs? work out an extra half an hour.

I still indulge, but it's all about balance, you want extra calories, you better work for it or make some sacrafices!