Getting back into shape after 4 months on bed rest

Options
Okay, this is the lay down.

I'm nearing the end of a very long and high risk pregnancy. I've been on bed rest for nearly 4 months. I was at a BMI of 22 before pregnancy, now I'm 29. I've gained a little more than I wanted thanks to bed rest, but it was totally worth it to stay pregnant. While the weight is discouraging, I know how to deal with the weight. However, my muscle are shot because of being on the couch for this long. I was lifting 4 or 5 times a week before pregnancy, and had just started running for fun. I had never exercised before this and was starting get rather fit, for me any way.

My question is where to start. Walking for just short periods make my feet sore, and my legs hurt just doing simple tasks (like squatting). Obviously, I'm going to have to go slow but should I do a mix of cardio/lifting or just focus on one? Which one then?

Any suggestions or advice?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    First, focus on healing your body and taking care of your precious baby. After you get medical clearance, start slow. Walk, maybe a few simple,body weight exercises. Once you feel your fitness tart to come back a bit, add back your lifting and work back up to a run.