Slowly gaining weight but no real changes?

Options
chris89topher
chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
edited April 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
I need a little advise. I'll try to keep it short and to the point so it isn't too terribly boring. This won't be a #1 best seller though.

My weight up until about the beginning of this year was hovering in the low 140's. I am 38 and 6'0 so I know that was towards the low end of "normal". I had been over-exercising at the time so I scaled that back a little last summer and maintained that weight.

Fast forward to this year. Over the past 4 months I have been slowly gaining weight although nothing has really changed with my eating or exercise habits (for the most part). Yes I weigh all of my food as I am obsessed and OCD about it. I am now hovering 150-153 which is almost 10 lbs more! I thought it was water weight at first which happened last summer with around 6 lbs but that dropped off.

Currently I'm logging around 1500 calories a day not including exercise. I was using a lot of hot sauce so I reduced that thinking sodium might be to blame, but it keeps creeping up. My shirts are getting noticeably more snug. Ahhh!!

See the screen shot so you know I'm not nuts, lol. What in the world is going on with this body of mine???

hxrv2gqbnf9b.png

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I need a little advise. I'll try to keep it short and to the point so it isn't too terribly boring. This won't be a #1 best seller though.

My weight up until about the beginning of this year was hovering in the low 140's. I am 38 and 6'0 so I know that was towards the low end of "normal". I had been over-exercising at the time so I scaled that back a little last summer and maintained that weight.

Fast forward to this year. Over the past 4 months I have been slowly gaining weight although nothing has really changed with my eating or exercise habits (for the most part). Yes I weigh all of my food as I am obsessed and OCD about it. I am now hovering 150-153 which is almost 10 lbs more! I thought it was water weight at first which happened last summer with around 6 lbs but that dropped off.

Currently I'm logging around 1500 calories a day not including exercise. I was using a lot of hot sauce so I reduced that thinking sodium might be to blame, but it keeps creeping up. My shirts are getting noticeably more snug. Ahhh!!

See the screen shot so you know I'm not nuts, lol. What in the world is going on with this body of mine???

hxrv2gqbnf9b.png

What has changed? Are you eating to satiety? What is your diet like? ect......
  • chris89topher
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Well, I went back and studied my food diary and exercise logs like the nerd that I am and two things do stand out. My weight started to noticeably inch up in early March. That's when two things happened. First I stopped morning bike rides on top of my other exercise. Then, I used to eat a full pint of low calorie ice cream (240 cal} every night but they discontinued my favorite brand so I gave it up. In its place I added another protein bar which i eat several of per day. They are healthier ones that are only 130 calories each. But it looks like that all happened at once. Maybe I need to back off that bar and add something else, although my total calories actually DECREASED. Argh!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,930 Member
    Options
    Bike rides? How long were the rides?
    What other changes to activity? Are you "sheltering in place" ?

Also... any other changes? More strength training? Also... less fiber?

Also... what is your goal? Maintenance? Slow bulk?
  • chris89topher
    edited April 2020
    Options
    It was a 3.5 mile bike ride even in 25 degree weather, but I replaced it with extra elliptical during the day. I really can't think of any other changes. I'm a creature of habit and do /eat the same things all the time.

I do all cardio (bowflex max trainer) and no strength training but that hasn't changed. I'm vegetarian so fiber is no issue that's for sure, lol.
    My goal was to maintain my low 140s weight and just be slim in my medium shirts which I was never able to wear before. 😂
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,930 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Has your fit in your medium shirts changed?

Are you/have you been logging your food? (not suggested if considered to be triggering)

How is your protein consumption in terms of daily grams per lb of body weight?

Fat intake expressed the same way?

Do you measure/weigh/eyeball?
  • chris89topher
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Has your fit in your medium shirts changed?

Are you/have you been logging your food? (not suggested if considered to be triggering)

How is your protein consumption in terms of daily grams per lb of body weight?

Fat intake expressed the same way?

Do you measure/weigh/eyeball?

Yes I can feel my shirts are slightly more snug. I weigh and log all of my food. The only exception was I would add 200 cal for tiny snacks throughout the day, but I just stopped that recently and will now add it all individually.
    My average daily protein is around 140 grams, half of which is protein bars and the majority of the rest is tofu and similar foods. No changes.

So I'm thinking the first change I should make is to drop one of those protein bars from my nightly snack and add something else like frozen blueberries. See how that goes. Otherwise maybe add the bike ride back but a few days a week instead of every morning (add'l to my daily elliptical). I had got a little burned out of the riding honestly.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    based on what you've said - 10lbs in 4 months is about 250 excess calories a day - which could easily explained by your activity level being slightly decreasing
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    1500 calories is pretty low for your height and seeming activeness.

Do you eat a source of healthy fats everyday? https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-super-healthy-high-fat-foods