Looking for some Quinoa recipes...

Options
Reedern
Reedern Posts: 525 Member
I have tried a couple different things with Quinoa, but I am looking for new recipes. What is your favorite?

Replies

• BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Too funny, I just made myself a big batch of this last night for this week's work lunches!

These are my proportions; you can adjust anything to taste that you like.

1/2C uncooked quinoa, prepared as usual (makes about 1.5C cooked)
    10-12 spears asparagus, cooked (steamed or roasted) and cut into bite-sized pieces
    6 kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
    2oz chevre goat cheese, crumbled
    1/2 Tb olive oil
    1 Tb lemon juice (fresh)
    pinch salt

Basically...mix it all up and make a salad, lol. I find this makes 3 good side-dish sized servings, I eat it with just grilled or baked chicken. You could also absolutely eat it on it's own as a meal, it's very filling.

ETA: It's good warm (with freshly made quinoa and asparagus) or cold, but I wouldn't suggest reheating it, and the goat cheese can melt up a bit if you mix it with food that's too warm so if you'd prefer to keep it in chunks (I do) then wait til everything cools at least a little, add that last and toss it gently once you do.

Based on 3 servings: 200 calories, 9g fat, 22g carbs, 3g fiber, 9g protein
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,629 Member
    Options
    I ate this at a cafe and liked it so much that I now make this at home. Brought it to BBQ's a lot over this summer where it went down a treat.

Quinoa and Edamame Salad

Quinoa, blanched shelled frozen edamame beans, blanched snow peas, roughly chopped sun dried tomatoes, fresh halved cherry tomatoes. Dress with a tart/sweet vinaigrette made with 1 part balsamic vinegar and 1-2 parts olive oil.

Sorry about not having quantities, but the final salad looks similar to this
    http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/asian-quinoa-salad/
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I will keep an eye on this one because I would also like to some more Quinoa recipes. Currently I just buy the pre cooked red and white Quinoa mix and bung random veg and herbs into it :-)
  • Jiggle_all_the_way
    Jiggle_all_the_way Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I make Quinoa Tabouleh. So good! I use this recipe, but I double all the veg.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quinoa-Tabbouleh/
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. These all sound good! Here is one that I came up with that I like:

2 C. Prepared quinoa
    1 can black beans drained and rinsed
    1 cucumber diced
    1 medium tomato diced
    4 low fat string cheese, cut into small peices
    1 avocado cut into peices
    Juice from 1 lime

Mix all ingredients together and season with Mrs. Dash and salt and pepper to taste.
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Taco Quinoa <3 My BF and I make this ALL the time :)

- 1 can low sodium black beans
    - 1 can petite diced tomatoes
    - 1 T. canola oil
    - 1 cup dry quinoa
    - 1/4 c. taco seasoning
    - 3 c. water

Bring 3 c. water to a boil and add the quinoa. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes. Then add in all other ingredients and simmer for 15 additional minutes or until enough water has evaporated for your tastes. Enjoy! :)

We recently started adding turmeric as well, delicious! :)

ETA: ~318 cals per serving (makes 4), not including the turmeric. Depending on the brands you buy, calorie count may vary :)
  • zombieyoshi
    Options
    I just made some quinoa pilaf and it was amazing!

Here is the link to the recipe http://skinnyms.com/turkey-cutlets-with-quinoa-pilaf/

I added shredded carrots, garlic, and chopped mushrooms to mine :)

Also, if you have Pinterest just go in and search for quinoa recipes.

Here is the recipe but it copied weird, so the link will probably work better.

Print
    Turkey Cutlets with Quinoa Pilaf
    Yield: 4 servings | Serving size: 1 cutlet and 1 cup quinoa | Calories: 286 | Previous Points: 6 | Points Plus: 7 | Total Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 18mg | Sodium: 28mg | Carbohydrates: 33g | Dietary Fiber: 5g | Sugars: 1g | Protein: 16g
    Ingredients2 tablespoons canola oil, divided 1 shallot, thinly sliced 1 cup dry white quinoa, rinsed or pre-rinsed 2 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth 1 bay leaf 1/2 cup frozen green peas, no added sugar 2 tablespoons diced pistachios, optional Sea salt to taste Freshly ground black pepper to taste 4 (4-ounce) turkey cutletsDirectionsIn a medium saucepan, add 1 tablespoon canola oil, heat to medium-low, and sauté shallot slices until tender, about 5 minutes. Add dry quinoa, chicken broth, bay leaf, and green peas; stir. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat, and remove bay leaf and discard. Add sea salt and black pepper to taste. Add pistachios, allow to sit 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork, and serve with cutlets. While pilaf is cooking, cook turkey cutlets. Add remaining canola oil to a large skillet, and heat to medium-high. Season cutlets, add to hot skillet, and sear on each side until browned and crispy. Note: If cutlets have a lot of water, simply allow to cook down until syrupy and liquid is absorbed. Cover, and continue cooking on medium heat until turkey is cooked through and has an internal temperature of 165°. Love Quinoa, its versatility and health benefits? Check out 'The New Quinoa eBook ~ A Healthy Alternative to Traditional Recipes'. Turkey Cutlets and Quinoa Pilaf are featured in our recently launched cookbook, Skinny Ms. Superfoods...check it out here!
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Hey! I love quinoa and I am always looking for new ways to try it, so I will definitely stay tuned into this thread. Last night my boyfriend and I hosted some dinner guests and served the following (super easy!) quinoa dish with grilled salmon and carrots:

1) Prepare 1 cup of uncooked quinoa with 2 cups of water (as usual) and set aside.

2) Over medium heat, pan-fry 2 cloves of garlic (crushed and chopped) and 1/2 of a red onion (sliced) in 2 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil. Take off the heat and set aside once onions begin to crisp up.

3) Chop 2 green onions and about 3-4 ounces of feta cheese.

4) Mix everything from steps 1 through 3 together in a big bowl and season with a little sea salt, pepper, and any spices you prefer! (I often use basil.)

And that's that! It was a big hit with everyone - I hope you like it. =)

Rinny
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Mango-avocado Quinoa Salad

2 cups cooked and cooled quinoa
    1/8 cup fresh lime juice
    1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
    one mango peeled, pitted and diced
    4 green onions diced
    one avocado peeled, pitted and diced
    2 roma tomatoes diced

mix it all together and season with salt and pepper. It's even better after sitting in the fridge for an hour or so
  • LuckBeWithU
    LuckBeWithU Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Stuffed Peppers
    Difficulty: Easy Provided by: Ali Vincent
    Ingredients
    1 cup quinoa (or 1/2 cup quinoa and 1/2 cup bulgar wheat)
    2 cups chicken stock
    6 bell peppers (I use three green, three red)
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 lb ground turkey
    1 (14 ounce) can Ro*Tel tomatoes
    1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
    1/2 vidalia onion, chopped
    4 garlic cloves, chopped
    1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese (I used parmesan and asiago blend)
    salt
    pepper
    Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2. Place the quinoa and chicken stock in a saucepan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover,
    and cook 20 minutes. In a skillet over medium heat, cook the turkey until evenly browned.
    3. Remove and discard the tops, seeds, and membranes of the bell peppers. Arrange peppers in
    a baking dish with the hollowed sides facing upward. (Slice the bottoms of the peppers if
    necessary so that they will stand upright.)
    4. In a bowl, mix the browned turkey, cooked quinoa, 1 can Ro*Tel tomatoes, tomato paste,
    Worcestershire sauce, garlic, onion, salt, and pepper. Spoon an equal amount of the mixture
    into each hollowed pepper.
    5. Bake 1 hour in the preheated oven, until the peppers are tender. Sprinkle cheese on top of
    peppers and put back in the oven until cheese is melted.
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Quinoa for breakfast!

1/2 cup steel cut oats
    1/4 c quinoa
    3 c water

in crockpot on low for 6-8 hours.

Add butter/brown sugar/dried cranberries, etc to your taste and calorie liking ;)
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • shaff1rm
    shaff1rm Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Southwest quinoa salad:
    3 cups cooked quinoa
    1/2 can black beans
    1/2 can kernel corn
    roasted red pepper, chopped
    juice from one lime
    1 tsp. olive oil
    pinch of salt
    cilantro, cumin to taste

Garlic quinoa and brown rice:
    equal parts quinoa and brown rice, both cooked (separately) in vegetable broth. Add garlic and salt to taste.
  • kittikatkitty
    kittikatkitty Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    My favorite it I sautee onions and zuchini in olive oil, then I put in two links of chicken sausage (all bite size pieces) and add the cooked quinoa and yummy!!!
  • losttogain
    losttogain Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've been pinteresting a lot lately and these recipes have stuck out to me:

Cheesy Quinoa Mac and Cheese: http://aroundthetableri.blogspot.com/2012/02/cheesy-quinoa-mac-cheese.html

Quinoa Kale patties: http://yummysupper.blogspot.com/2012/09/quinoa-kale-patties.html

Cheesy Quinoa Cakes: http://www.spoonforkbacon.com/2011/11/cheesy-quinoa-cakes/

If you try any out, let me know how they go!
  • bearsmom82
    bearsmom82 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I substitute quinoa for rice when I make a fried "rice" - just a spritz of olive oil, saute minced onion and garlic, stir in the cooked quinoa and whatever ingredients (cooked shrimp etc) you like in your fried "rice", low-sodium soy sauce to taste.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I came up with this one evening and it's spectacular :)

Quinoa Veggie Plate

Ingredients
    1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
    1 cup water
    1 tsp vegan chix bouillion (optional)
    1 cup frozen green beans
    1 cup frozen cut carrots
    1 cup frozen peppers and onions

*Sauce:
    1/3 cup tomato sauce
    1/3 cup diced tomato with juice
    1 tsp Italian Seasoning
    1 tsp dried minced onion
    Dash of garlic powder
    Salt and Pepper to taste

1 tsp Nutritional Yeast
    Sprinkling of Adobo Seasoning

Directions
    Bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add vegan chix flavored bullion, if desired. After boiling, stir in rinsed quinoa, lower heat to medium low, cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes, until quinoa is semi-translucent.

While quinoa is cooking, steam green beans, carrots, peppers and onions for 12 minutes.

For sauce, combine tomato sauce, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, dried minced onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper and heat on stove for 5 to 10 minutes.*

To plate, divide quinoa onto two plates, top each with half of the veggies and sprinkle on Adobo seasoning. Divide the tomato sauce and pour over each plate and top each one with 1/2 tsp of nutritional yeast.

Tips
    *To speed this up, you can substitute your favorite pasta sauce for the sauce recipe.
  • EmmaJean7
    EmmaJean7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    bump
  • loothi
    loothi Posts: 11
    Options
    Quinoa makes a yummy addition to normal porridge, about 3/4 porridge oats and 1/4 cooked quinoa (white or brown). Add all the normal things, spice, raisin, apple, seeds etc.

You can also cook quinoa with oatbran as they take about the same time to soften - as an alternative.
  • Smiling_Sara
    Smiling_Sara Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I want to like this stuff, so I'll def give some of these a try.

One thing I'm wondering about, is does it really need to be rinsed? I don't have a mesh strainer. How important is it that it is rinsed. Maybe that's why I'm not a fan so far, I have not rinsed before cooking it.