Boomer Tip#1

Options
Nothing ruins diet and exercise more than drinking alcohol. One bing could ruin your motivation and will add hundreds in calories for days. Drink! be marry and gay, but know the drawbacks and plan to move on with your goals

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    One binge of anything won't ruin your motivation , unless you allow it too. If you have a binge accept it, and move on the next day. If you want a drink or a splurge consider working it into your calories for the day, or overall calories for the week.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    There is no reason why a night of drinking would add hundreds of calories for days or dismantle a weight loss effort. If it is daily drinking it would likely make weight loss harder. A single night might be hard to overcome for someone who has an all or nothing personality and/or a poor understand of weight fluctuations on the scale.

My tip: What matter is what you do most of the time not occasionally. I have lost weight regularly for 2 years and alcohol has been in the mix off and on.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,759 Member
    Options
    Maybe it does that for you. You are not everyone. If you (or anyone) can't control alcohol consumption once you start, or can't control the impulse to overeat once having consumed alcohol, then yes, giving up alcohol may be a good plan.

For my own part, I drank modest amounts of alcohol during weight loss, usually within my calorie goal, sometimes somewhat over goal on rare special occasions. I lost weight anyway I think it's a good plan to lose weight under basically the same rule-set one plans to use permanently, to maintain a healthy weight after loss.

Oh, and athletic goals: I was athletic (even competing) while obese, was athletic during weight loss, and continue to be athletic now. I don't typically drink alcohol right before working out, but sometimes do after. If not to silly excess, I don't see how it interferes with my fitness objectives, then or now. It might be different for an elite athlete who needs to squeeze out every 0.01% advantage, but I don't aspire to be one.

Now, in year 4+ of maintaining a healthy weight, I still prioritize getting good well-rounded nutrition, and staying within my maintenance calories on an averaged basis. I drink more alcohol than I did while losing, because I have more calories available for discretionary treats. I still go over my calorie goal on rare occasions, and often alcohol is part of that, because it's more likely to be a part of special occasions.

Boomer advice? Mine would be to get good nutrition, eat appropriate calories on average, don't drink alcohol to excess, consider cutting it out permanently if one is an individual who can't moderate it. (BTW: Born 1955, so late-ish boomer, but still definitely boomer; age 64).
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    Cheers. I worked out for an hour today, ate modestly and figured I'd treat myself to a glass of wine. I haven't derailed myself.
    As with everything.....moderation. z54w131vclf5.jpg