Should I cut?

I’m new to weight training since dec 2019. I did some PT through my gym then started strong curves 6 weeks ago. Since I started my weight training I’ve gained 10lb which Isnt great but not terrible. I’ve been a bit looser on my diet and apparently it’s showing! I’m wanting to get down 5lb. My question is should I continue to do what I’m doing for another month or two and then do a “cut” when the weather is a bit nicer and I can get outside for more runs/walks or start trying to tighten up diet now with a small deficit and loose the 5lb now as I continue my weight training program?

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    It really depends on your goals, your stats and what you are comfortable doing right now.
  • bllaura10
    bllaura10 Posts: 42 Member
    My goals I guess are aesthetic, build some muscle tone and figure. I’m 5’6 135lb when I started my weight training I was 124lb and focused on cardio. I still run a few times a week but def not as much. I could go either way really. I wouldn’t be happy to gain any more weight but I’m ok where I’m at If I see results...
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    You can try to recomp, so build muscle and lose fat over time by maintaining your weight and continuing your lifting. Since you are at a healthy weight I would try not to stress too much about cutting especially during this crazy time!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited April 2020
    Your goal of hypertrophy while toning isn't realistic at the rate you are gaining.

There are a few options and none are wrong. It's more what we can adhere to towards our goal.

If you feel comfortable dropping weight at a slightly lower rate then you gained, I would go with that route and stop when time.

For a second choice with that particular program I would lean towards maintenance before a surplus. It's really nor a long term program by itself as written, more of a spot program that would be better for desensitization than bulking. Not to say you can't see results while bulking, it's just limiting as written compared to more intelligently written programming.
  • bllaura10
    Thanks for the input! I wasn’t really planning on “bulking” per se I wanted to make sure I was eating enough to see some result so I let myself eat more calories. Changes to my work routine haven’t helped either.
    I’ve thought about it and I think I can fairly easily shed 5lb at a reasonable rate by tightening up my diet.
    As a total beginner, I am seeing some results with the program. I do see your point about it not being a long term program. I need to research some others and see what will suit for the future.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    bllaura10 wrote: »
    Thanks for the input! I wasn’t really planning on “bulking” per se I wanted to make sure I was eating enough to see some result so I let myself eat more calories. Changes to my work routine haven’t helped either.
    I’ve thought about it and I think I can fairly easily shed 5lb at a reasonable rate by tightening up my diet.
    As a total beginner, I am seeing some results with the program. I do see your point about it not being a long term program. I need to research some others and see what will suit for the future.

I see :smile: .

Out of curiosity, what changes have you made to your routine and why?

If your a total beginner, you should see results from any program. It literally doesn't matter. Being novel, nearly 100% should see good results with just about any program that does have too much volume tpo recover from.

It's after the novel phase, we need more advanced programming. Which the time period isn't the same for everyone but in the area of 9-12 weeks is common.

• bllaura10
    I’ve been working from home since the pandemic. Its hard to budget food when it’s always available. I found the adjustment a bit stressful at first but I’ve settled in now. I’m thankful we have our health and I’m still able to work, many people aren’t as fortunate.