Calorie Deficit

Hey all!!! I'm using this time during quarantine to get my health on track and need help with a calorie deficit question. I worked out for an hour and half today and according to the activity app on my apple watch I burned 964 calories. However, MyFitnessPal only credited me with 247 due to an "MFP IOS adjustment"?? Does anyone know what this is and what purpose it serves?

Replies

• AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Welcome!
    I think I should because MFP already allows for some activity because of what you set your activity level as. So it subtracts what it thinks you should burn from what you burn doing extra exercise and that's why you have this negative adjustment

You can set it so it doesn't do this
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    That is the adjustment between what MFP *estimated* you would burn for the day based on the activity level you entered and your actual activity. You will rarely see an adjustment that matches exactly what your fitness tracker says you burned for a session.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    That is the adjustment between what MFP *estimated* you would burn for the day based on the activity level you entered and your actual activity. You will rarely see an adjustment that matches exactly what your fitness tracker says you burned for a session.

Interestingly MFP uses the estimates from my Garmin to the calorie but that may have something to do with their algorithm calculating net calories expended rather than gross (when I manually calculate a run using the .63 x weight x distance formula it's pretty much bang on)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

Interestingly MFP uses the estimates from my Garmin to the calorie but that may have something to do with their algorithm calculating net calories expended rather than gross (when I manually calculate a run using the .63 x weight x distance formula it's pretty much bang on)

Interesting - I should have qualified that this is my experience with Fitbit. I have never used a Garmin.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    IIRC Apple includes base calories and exercise when they push data - so MFP parses out the base calories and only includes the exercise

what type of workout did you do for the hour and a half?