Hoshimotos...

Options
Hey y’all! Im looking for help and motivation from any one!

But in reguards to my post title!
I’m also looking for anyone with hoshimotos! A thyroid disease that makes it extremely hard to lose weight!

I’ve been dealing with this disease for 4 years! Acccording to my labs I’m in “normal” range but anyone dealing with this knows there no normal once your thyroid stops working and attacks itself!

I need help. I’m losing motivation because the scale goes up and down. I count caleries, workout daily and nothing. NO INCHES and the same few pounds go up and down!

A few years back the inches and weight came off so easy in a short time frame then I got pregnant had my baby feb 2019... had no motivation. Found motivation, went to the gym before work did what I could at home , and then covid hit and I lost motivation then found it again, been feeling like I’ve been working my *kitten* of but literally have not!

ADD ME/Message me! Help me and I’ll try to help you!!

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    calling @CSARdiver - he is our resident thyroid expert

has your doc prescribed any medication for treatment? normal is a huge range so finding someone who can work with you to optimize is key (i.e. for hypo - keeping TSH between .5 and 4.5 is the norm - but i have hellish symptoms when i get above 1.0 - thankfully my doc listens to me and tweaks meds as needed)
  • mindylopez333
    mindylopez333 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi hun! I have had the same struggle going on 5 years (since my first daughter was born) ive finally been diagnosed and working with an amazing dr who specializes in autoimmune! I have been working with him 3 weeks and have finally started to see my weight shift!
    Mind you i am a health and life coach. I o ow nutrition, i eat right, exercise and meditate daily. Its so nice to know its simply not me!!!!
    I would love some support and accountability within this!
    One major thing i did the last 3 weeks is cut gluten and that has changed a ton! I limit sugar but if you are able to cut it that does wonders as well!
    Add me i would love to do daily/weekly check ins if you want! Its so nice to know you are not alone !!!❤️❤️❤️❤️
  • XxWarriorButterflyxX
    Options
    Diagnosed with Hashimoto's in 2011 after the birth of my middle daughter. With a TSH of 177 😳. Took 2 yrs to get my meds right and managed to lose 72lbs after the birth of my third daughter between 2012/2013.
    Like deannalfisher i also only feel right when my TSH is under 1 but it's a constant struggle with doctors in the UK to keep it that way. Plus have no access to anything other then T4 meds. I've regained quite a few of those lbs over the last few years so am back to try shift them again.
    It is possible. Keep at it. Add me if you wish. X
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,499 Member
    Options
    The good news is: it's totally possible to lose weight with hashimotos, as much as it's possible to lose without. What makes it a bit harder is that you might feel tired if your medication is not spot on, you might be more hungry, and potentially hold a bit more onto water. Thus make sure you feel good. Don't look at blood results (though both fT3 and fT4 in the upper third is a good indication) but at how you feel. If you get hungry quickly find food that you enjoy and that fill you. Chose only a small deficit. yeah, weight loss will be slower, but you will feel so much better and are more likely to keep it up. Try to move a bit, even if it's only a walk every day. Also get ferritin, Vitamin D and Vitamin B12 checked as those are often low with people having hashimotos. Get a printout of all your blood tests and have a look yourself if everything is fine, or just within range. If on the lower end of the range find a good facebook group (or health unlocked) and get advice there.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,702 Member
    Options
    I think @csardiver is AWOL, but his very helpful thread is still here:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10767046/hypothyroidism-and-weight-management/

@Brittaney_218 , I strongly suggest that you read that.

Hypothyroidism, even Hashi's, is not weight loss doom.

Those of us who are hypothroid can have wilder water weight fluctuations that make the scale an even worse lying liar than it is for average people; fatigue that saps activity calories out of our daily routine; and appetite issues caused by the disease. We may even need a slightly lower calorie goal than a similar non-hypo person, which is a drag. Those are potential problems, and they're annoying, but they're not insurmountable.

It's really important to make sure that you're doing all the normal right things (logging food accurately, logging exercise accurately, etc.), because even for us, those problems are more likely sources of non-success than the disease in and of itself. But it's really easy to believe that the disease is doom, so we're tempted to turn to that as the first best explanation. Realistically, sustainable weight loss is challenging for most everyone.

For sure, getting your thyroid condition properly treated is a help, and the thread I linked above should help you sort that out. Beyond that, using good logging/tracking practices is key. Some people with Hashi's or other autoimmune conditions find that lower carb eating helps them, but that's far from universal (I didn't do it, and lost fine eating lots of nice carbs; but I'm just regular ol' hypo, quite severe, properly treated - not Hashi's).

Best wishes!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,499 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 , always love to real your comments. You're so much better in explaining things.

If it helps: I lost the weight I wanted to lose 'despite' hashimoto, vitamin D and B12 deficiency, before I got treated on either of those. Well, I finally got diagnosed and treated on the latter two near the end sprint. Weighing and logging food properly is key here; if you feel hungry, tired and unhappy then portion creep seems to kick in twice as hard, for me anyway.

Btw, I lost the weight on about 60% carbs. I love all kind of carbs and the keep me full and happy. But like AnnP said, everyone is different.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    @AnnPT77 , always love to real your comments. You're so much better in explaining things.

If it helps: I lost the weight I wanted to lose 'despite' hashimoto, vitamin D and B12 deficiency, before I got treated on either of those. Well, I finally got diagnosed and treated on the latter two near the end sprint. Weighing and logging food properly is key here; if you feel hungry, tired and unhappy then portion creep seems to kick in twice as hard, for me anyway.

Btw, I lost the weight on about 60% carbs. I love all kind of carbs and the keep me full and happy. But like AnnP said, everyone is different.

ditto here - had hashi's (diagnosed right when my thyroid was removed from cancer) - so now just plain ole hypo, but i still have to monitor the antibodies

i eat approx 50-60% carbs a day (and my daily intake is in the 25-2800 range) but i also have a high daily activity level and use a TDEE base for my daily intake (so i don't add in purposeful exercise - unless i go hr+ cardio)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,702 Member
    Options
    I probably should've mentioned clearly: With my non-Hashi pretty severe hypothyroidism, but properly medicated, my calorie requirement are 25-30% higher than what MFP predicts for my demographics including daily life activity level, based on nearly 5 years of logging data.

Hypothyroidism, treated, doesn't even mean one's calorie needs will be average or lower.

I'd assume a distribution fairly similar to non-hypo people: Most folks near the population mean (average), a few further away plus/minus, and a very rare few quite far from the population mean in one direction or the other. The BMR (basal metabolic rate, i.e., calorie needs before activity) distribution in the population is fairly narrow (small standard deviation), but there are a few outliers or semi-outliers (people out beyond the first couple of standard deviations from the mean).

https://examine.com/nutrition/does-metabolism-vary-between-two-people/