How long have you maintained?

Options
I was watching a video today from someone who lost weight and got fit, however, they made the statement that you can't lose weight AND keep it off by calorie counting. I find this hard to believe. Just listening to "how they did it," they basically reduced their calories by meeting certain timing requirements as well as a very high protein diet.

So, my question to you is, how long have you been at your goal and maintaining...or at least been able to still head toward your goal by tracking your calories?

TL;DR - Does this work long term and if it has for you, how long?

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,039 Member
    Options
    I just started my second year of maintenance. I actually agree that you can't just count calories and maintain. You have to get sleep, drink water, exercise and eat the right things (whatever those things are to you) so you don't binge and fall off the wagon.

I also agree you can maintain without counting calories. BUT - I need to log to maintain. So I log my calories and practice mindful eating. And exercising, and getting enough sleep... so to each his or her own.
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I'm virtually at maintenance; maybe a couple of pounds to go, which are coming off very slowly. I expect to continue with MFP, logging daily, and continuing an exercise regimen. Having been overweight most of my life, and having lost weight before, I understand that maintenance is probably the most difficult phase. I also accept that this is what I will have to do to maintain a normal weight and continue a healthy lifestyle. When I lost weight previously, there was a sense of "I'm done now, so I can go back to being like everyone else." The truth is I am not like everyone else: I have a natural tendency to tip toward obesity and toward being sedentary. I have now become a person who eats less and moves more. I don't expect that to change much. This is my new normal. One thing that I see consistently in articles about being successful at weight loss/maintenance is that exercise may be helpful for weight loss -- but it is crucial for weight maintenance.
  • exWHYzee1337
    Options
    ive maintained about a year and a half. counting calories and working out. I think it depends on where you are when maintenance begins. if your lifting regularly then stop but continue counting, you will lose muscle mass. so I think it just depends on goals, but for maintaining weight I think counting only would work for the most part.
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    I have gone up and down by the same 4 pounds for about 2 years.
    I guess this is maintenance.
    If I'm careful for about a month it's down if I let myself go it's up.
    I will never let it go more than 4 pounds though before I rein it in again.
    good luck!
  • Yeller_Sensation
    Yeller_Sensation Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have maintained my weight within a band of 4 lbs for a year but my goal now is to gain. I am eating at a surplus in order to build muscle.
  • harleygroomer
    harleygroomer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    for every 15 pounds I lose my trainer makes me STOP and maintain it for a week so that I know the triggers for gaining weight. I go up and down some--but after all this time I know what I can and can't have and so I just view this as a lifestyle change and not a diet. But I do not deny myself something I want--may only be a tablespoon of whatever--but I do not feel deprived and can live with that.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    10+ years.
    For the first 9, no I didn't count calories. I maintained the same basic principles of healthy eating that I adopted while losing.
    Now, yes tracking, because I'm peri-menopausal and my metabolism has slowed etc. etc. etc. So now I'm counting.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much been maintaining since January of 2012 with the exception of a few pounds of fluctuation and a small gain of 6 pounds after a major surgery. My life has been chaotic to say the least and pretty much all I had the capability to do at some points was count calories with no exercise at all and it absolutely worked. The only reason I gained a little after surgery was because awesome people were bringing us free meals and I decided to just eat to feed my healing brain.
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Only maintaining for 5 months so far, and I'm still logging and counting calories diligently.

Don't see myself stopping with this for the foreseeable future as it's been a huge part of why I've been successful.
    Right now I don't need to mess with success.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Over a year. I don't count anymore really (though I did log today). I think they're getting at the point it's inconvenient. And it is. If I start going up however, counting usually gives me a reality check.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I was watching a video today from someone who lost weight and got fit, however, they made the statement that you can't lose weight AND keep it off by calorie counting. I find this hard to believe.
    Me too, especially since I've been on maintenance since May of last year. Not only that, but I lost weight 5 or 6 years ago and gained half of it back because I quit keeping track of what I was eating.

I do track less precisely than I used to and I don't track my last meal because once I decide to eat it, it doesn't matter. I'm not keeping a historical record I'm just trying to make sure I don't over eat. To me it's like using a map. If I don't have one, I don't know where I am. I just have no memory or judgement when it comes to eating.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I'm not ready for maintenance yet, but I have people on my FL that are maintaining and have for a long time.

Over the last year I've been tracking, pretty regularly for the most part, and I don't see where it's going to be a problem when I get to maintenance. I'm not anal about it, and I'm accurate as I can be about 90% of the time (give or take). I enjoy birthdays, and holidays and time with friends without worrying about one day or even a weekend here and there.

I just didn't agree with the speaker saying that calorie counting doesn't work long term when I know people on MFP and using other counting methods have been able to maintain for a while.
  • nf3dude
    nf3dude Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Nearly one year and counting. Just being mindful of the scale. I go up a little, I go down a little. Never more then 7 lbs.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    2.5 years
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I've been going on almost 3 years now. I don't strictly count calories, but I'm aware enough to be cautious of serving sizes and I've continued to maintain an active lifestyle. I fluctuate about 3-5 lbs, within my goal weight, and that's totally acceptable to me
  • j1wright
    j1wright Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have maintained for over a year now. Actually lost a little bit on maintenance while tracking so I stopped tracking and stopped cardio. I think I have finally found my balance. I am what you might call "skinny fat". I need to tone but have been putting it off. I do track when I feel bloated and disgusted with myself. It is just a form of control, it makes me feel good and helps me to control what I eat so I don't bloat up and feel bad.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    5 months now. I'm slowly starting to "eyeball" amounts and not weigh everything. It's a bit scary but I think I've learned enough from MFP to make it work. By weighing and measuring everything my weight is steady within 0.2Kg each month. I'm hoping that by easing this a bit, my weight will be maintained within a pound or two. I will be keeping an eagle-eye on my weight each month until I have more confidence in my "eyeballing" abilities. I only weigh myself once a month.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I've maintained for a longer time than I spent at my heaviest weight. I was really only at my heaviest for about 5 years, and I've been at least 15 pounds lighter for about 18 years. I wasn't counting calories the whole time. Keeping the last 5 pounds off requires calorie counting.
  • Seaduck79
    Seaduck79 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for about 5 months now. It would seem foolish to me to abandon the methods and practices and habits I used to lose the weight, so while I upped my daily caloric allowance to a weight-neutral number, I still track my exercise and calories, just so I don't slip into old habits.

As long as I stay within a pound or two either way of my goal weight of 175, I'm not worried about it.

The only concession I've made is that I can have an occasional "bad" day. Just not a "bad" week.
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I have maintained for 18 months now! Even after surgery for continued Grade 4 Endometriosis. And working 12hr night shifts.

The key for me is mfp logging. Walking hard. Meal planning. Higher fat. Higher protein. Lower carb. And a new closet full of cute clothes.