Any horsey people on here...

Options
Just looking for any other horsey people who are wanting to lose weight to ride their horses, compete, or any other reason. I have two horses, the one in my profile pic is most of my inspiration for doing this, she's just turned 6 and is a IDxWB I've had from a yearling and never been able to ride because of my weight. If anyone else is in the same or similar place would love to hear from you, please add me and we can support each other!
I'm doing herbalife and am on day 3 going swimmingly and want to lose about 160lbs if I can, or even more! Hope to hear from you soon :)

Replies

• walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm a horsey person! I don't have my own, but ride my trainer's horses. I have been riding since I was a kid, took English lessons in my twenties, got hooked on dressage. Took a 10-year break after having kids but am back into it now. Even got my hubby into it.

I confess, I'm not losing weight b/c of that, although having to wear riding pants makes one more conscious of one's butt, lol!

It was a part motivation for my husband, however. He was able to ride - my trainer had a horse that could handle his weight, but he could see that it would be easier and better to lose the weight and he has and he is doing great. He has just figured out how to post the trot and is doing really well.
  • fatoldladyonamission
    fatoldladyonamission Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Hey, thanks for your post :) guessing you're in the states from your posting comment ;) we do rising trot lol, but posting sounds much better! Nice to meet you :)
  • DiamondRidge
    DiamondRidge Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    One of my rewards is horse-related...

I am short (5'3") and under all this padding is actually a fairly small frame. One of my dear friends moved to Oregon (from New Hampshire) with a horse that has a heart like mine. The horse is an Arab mare. She's chestnut. She's a princess. But she's a warrior princess. And - she's technically a pony! My friend is too tall to really fly over the big jumps when running cross country with the horse. I, however, am not. This horse and I share the same view of jumps/obstacles "oooh! looks like fun! let's do it"... When I reach my goal weight (130lbs) I am flying across the country with my helmet, vest, and boots. And Tari and I are going to fly together.
  • fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    Wow, that sounds amazing! How long have you been on here? Love this site for its motivational support :) I'll just be happy to get on my horse, never mind jumping lol x
  • DiamondRidge
    DiamondRidge Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I decided that I wanted my body back a bit over 4 weeks ago. I downloaded the mfp app and began tracking everything that goes in my mouth. I joined a gym and hired a personal trainer. For the past 4 weeks I have worked out with the trainer 3x/week for an hour each time doing strength training and have done some sort of cardio (usually at the gym) for at least 30 minutes another 3x/week. I do rest one day a week.

17 pounds down so far.

Tari is getting excited :)
  • CRHarrigan
    Options
    I am!

My family has 7 altogether, with 2 being mine!
    I have a 13 year old Appendix QH, and a 6 year old TB cross. I have had both for there whole lives, the 13 year old was a foal from my first horse (we still have her, she is 28) and the 6 is out of a mare I used to show for a past coach (she was my high school grad present, I watched her birth and she became mine at 2 days old!).
    As a youth I showed in the hunter/jumper ring, and after my first year of university I did a working student position on a horse trial farm and loved it! I have not shown the last year due to being in nursing school, and not having the time needed to keep the ponies is top shape (or myself for that matter!). I have a year left then hope that I can focus on the horses a bit more!
    I gain a lot if weight after my Mother passed away in 2010 (was bigger before but that made it worse) so I have ~100lbs to lose!
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Actually I'm Canadian. While we call the movement "rising trot", we refer to the action (verb) as "posting".

One day I hope to have a horse of my own. I have the room now (we live on acreage) but we need to clear, fence, etc so there is work to be done yet ($$) before that happens. While I focus on dressage right now, I'd like to do a bit of jumping again when I can ride more often. My trainer is Chris Irwin Gold Certified and she strongly believes in cross-discipline training so her horses do it all: jumping, cross country, trails, western reining, and dressage.

Nice to see other horsey people here!
  • fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    Wow, great to see lots of horsey people here :) I thought I was the only non skinny horse owner around! Great to be able to share our journey :)
  • RachelGrace1
    RachelGrace1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Me! I have an 18ish year old morgan/quarter gelding. I'm in school and work, so I don't get to ride as much as I should