Line between diligent and obsessed

Options
I am having a hard time deciding if I am being diligent or obsessed, and I fear I am being obsessed and just wanted to hear what some other folks think to help me hopefully ease up a little on myself. I want to be a little more relaxed and enjoy what feels like success if that is possible, so take that into account.

Quick background: I am 47, 5'4" and I am in maintenance. My goal range was originally 125-130 which I reached in early February but I have been weighing in between 121-123 since April 1st and I am pretty happy in this range (although I would have been THRILLED in my original range had I not gotten lower). I use Happy Scale and weigh myself every day. I am obsessive about weighing every single bite, lick, taste and track religiously and meal plan for the whole week once a week before I shop (and basically eat the same breakfast, lunch, and snacks and put variety in my dinners which is a system I love and works for me).

I have averaged my weight and calorie intake per week to really try and get a sense of how many calories I need to maintain, and my research tells me I need an average of 2100 a day to maintain at this weight. Now I indulge in alcohol Fridays and Sundays so I tend to go closer to 2300 on those two days and then 1900-2000 the rest of the week (or whatever I need) to get to that average. This will result in a RANGE of my weights between 121-123. I get about 16K-20K steps a day (I still practice social distancing!) which includes long walks daily, and alternating barre videos for strength 3 days a week and running 3 days a week.

My problem is that even with all that feedback, and knowing I am doing everything right, I find myself freaking out when I am on the high side of the range and feeling relief when I am at the low end. I can weigh in at 122 and feel good but if I weigh in at 122.6 or god forbid 123 I internally freak out a bit. I know weight fluctuates daily, I really do, but to be honest for the 6 months it took me to get to goal, and the 2 months I slid down to the lower range, I was a bit of a unicorn in that my weight was stable or would drop, and almost never had a day where I was up a pound or two unless I had been on a vacation. My graphs in Happy Scale are pretty steady line down so I got used to staying the same and losing. I was probably eating too few calories considering my TDEE but I have worked hard to accept that I can eat around 2000 calories/day and maintain.

Related to this, I become obsessed with every little calorie because I am so afraid of gaining. E.g., I wanted to finish my container of EggBeaters so I could throw away the box bc I am going shopping tomorrow, so I had 167g instead of 125g and this added about 20 calories to my day. This was perfectly fine for my averages and where I should be. But instead, I went into my log and went back and forth 6 times about whether to change my lunch almond count from 12 to 10 almonds to compensate for the EggBeaters. And I keep thinking about it.

I know I am doing great, especially in light of the stress of this shelter-in-place, and I would just like to enjoy this system I seem to have down and not stress over every 20 calories or every .4 pounds. But I worry that if I get lax that's the slippery slope that will cause me to gain. I also think the total control over every calorie is helping me feel I have control in these times where we all feel out of control bc covid-19.

Thanks for reading this LONG post. I really appreciate it and would love any advice.

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Many nutritionists are familiar with the psychological aspects that can often be linked to food, food intake, food avoidance/reticence, etc.

I'm not suggesting that they're a replacement for mental health professionals yet you may want to check in with one or the other (if not both), as what you've described is very relatable but, if left unchecked, could be detrimental to your overall health.

Stay strong!
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Maintaining a loss is a skill just like losing weight is. Can you perhaps relax off on one aspect that feels ‘safe’ eg could you stop weighing low cal stuff like salad?

Or intentionally not log for a day? See how that feels, just as an experiment.

I dunno the answer, I’m just throwing out a suggestion. I’m not saying you have a ‘problem’ either.

All I can say to try and reassure you is
    If your weight does creep up, you know what to do. It won’t just jump up 20 pounds over night.

I moved away from tracking when in maintenance. Cos it was stressing me out. It helps that I’m really predictable with what I eat and so even if I’m not tracking I have a rough idea I’m my head. And I still weigh myself regularly
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Like some above posters, I have no interest in stopping logging, save for the buffet days. However, that is personal preference. Some months I have maintenance as a goal. Other times I have bulking or cutting. I find that I have a terrible eye to estimate portions and largely undereat. Since I know that about myself, I continue to love.

@AnnPT77 offers good advice.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    My first year in maintenance I tried to do it without logging food and with no body-weight scale.

Yeah. That didn't work!

For the past maybe six years or so I've still been logging daily. I'm easily staying in my five pound range, and there have been MANY days I've been over by 1000-1500 calories. Many. Once I settled into this weight, which is 21-22 BMI, I have had no trouble maintaining it even when I go way over for many days. Now if I go over for a couple weeks, I'll see a bump up of 1-2 pounds but it's easy to get that back off.

I don't weigh individual ingredients in salads, but I weigh everything else except pre-portioned things like bread, eggs, bacon and sausages. For salad I have "Meals" set up for a large salad and a small salad (before cheese, dressing, avo or croutons.) I just add those calorie dense items in addition to the "salad."

In my case, it really isn't an exact number and a lot of it is instinctual. I can tell when I've had the right amount of food for the day.

You'll be okay! It's just a new chapter. Enjoy all your hard efforts. :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,971 Member
    Options
    @PAV888 's post is so right on...I seriously laughed at the
    Choosing to eat varied food with certain "health" attributes (say veggies or soups or fruit like things) instead of just fish sticks on pizza topped with chocolate sauce is also a layer!

...but all of it is exactly true, the whole post. Thanks for that.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,659 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    except that my edit was a little bit late, by like 1 minute! GRRRR: we don't want to AVOID AVOIDING IDGAF we just want to simply avoid the wretched state!. It came out a little bit critically reversed!!!! :anguished: