Might be a dumb question but...

Options
FitnessFreak1821
FitnessFreak1821 Posts: 242 Member
edited April 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
Does everyone count the warm ups and cool downs as part of their work out when logging ? I did a 47 minute work out but I'm unsure if I should log the full 47 minutes or minus the warm up and cool down. What do you all do? I have always wondered this

Replies

• lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    I ignore/discard the warm up & cool down. I see no material health upside in counting cardio that's below 65 % of my max HR, which the warm up and cool down is. I want a full hour at 65 % + so those 8 minutes bookending the actual workout get tossed.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,683 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you consider warmup. If you are walking before a run, then count that as a walk. If you are jogging slowly before your run, then count it as a run. If you are stretching before lifting, then log it as stretching. You won't burn many calories, but it does burn some.
  • FitnessFreak1821
    Options
    Well warm up included some cardio and stretching then cool down was stretches so maybe I'll just take off the cool down since there was no cardio at all. Thanks
  • JasmijnRF
    JasmijnRF Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I do track it. I start my activity tracker when the workout begins and stop it when it ends (after the cooldown)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Depends on the workout and what is being done during the warm up and cooldown. I wouldn't track static stretches.

But for this example the warm up and cool down is part of the session and I'm burning calories at a significant rate so if I'm estimating calories it would be daft in this case to ignore those portions.

wftu9tk3rcl9.png
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it depends on the workout and depends on my goal for tracking. Last year, I was pretty meticulous in tracking everything because I wanted to be as accurate as possible in estimating what my calorie burn is supposed to be.

For strength training, I'll include my time doing static stretches and I'm not even that accurate in actually counting the time. It's not a significant calorie burner so I just put down an hour. Same thing with judo.

For cycling and the occasional run, I will include the warm up and cool down, but my goal is a full hour of actual active time.
  • louiseeeal
    louiseeeal Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i dont do warm up but cool down is just stretching so im not lazy for that... yet :wink:
  • FitnessFreak1821
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • hawksgirl229
    hawksgirl229 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I would log my entire workout. Warm up and cool down included.
  • FitnessFreak1821
    Options
    I would log my entire workout. Warm up and cool down included.

Thanks! Maybe I will too depending if Its just stretching or theres still lot of movement